Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extraterrestrial life and world religions...

princeether Guest

Extraterrestrial life and world religions...

What, do you think, would be the effect on world religions if extraterrestrial life were proven to exist?

Quote Originally Posted by princeether View Post
    What, do you think, would be the effect on world religions if extraterrestrial life were proven to exist?
    I'm not talking single celled amoebas, I mean advanced civilizations,
    although, I think both ends of the spectrum would be hugely significant...
    What's wrong with single celled? A extraterrestrial single celled organism would be the biggest event in human history... admittedly, discovering intelligent life would eclipse it - but I would be stoked for fossilized single celled organism.

As to the effect? Well maybe humanity will get over itself and actually act like human beings (as the term is used in contemporary rhetoric)

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Depends on the religion. Some would loose face. Some would create an explanation and some would be happy campers!

princeether Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    What's wrong with single celled? A extraterrestrial single celled organism would be the biggest event in human history... admittedly, discovering intelligent life would eclipse it - but I would be stoked for fossilized single celled organism.

As to the effect? Well maybe humanity will get over itself and actually act like human beings (as the term is used in contemporary rhetoric)
    I did say that both ends of the spectrum, meaning a single celled organism right through to an intelligent civilization would be hugely significant, I edited that comment out so as not to be confusing...

They'd send their missionaries out to convert them and we wouldn't have to deal with the door to door bible hander outers anymore.
    "Oh yeah, well quote this!"
    -Me

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)

First person to notice this text doesn't win a prize.

This is a really interesting question and could be related to the religion,. but more importantly to the individual.

What I would find fascinating is the affect of alien religion on earth religions, if these aliens had religion comparable or equivalent. If they believed in one god, it would certainly be a win for monotheism... if they believed in polytheism, likewise for polytheism. In a lot of science fiction we see athiest or 'humanist' (although I guess they wouldnt call it that) aliens who believe strongly in science... but would that be true?

On the issue of their mere existence on our religions, I can certainly think that it would vary. Some religions hold in their cosmology the idea of different planes of existence and different worlds. Others might view the religion as being entirely an earth based revelation. Others may view them as spirits from their mythologies, while others may view them as merely different creations.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Quote Originally Posted by princeether View Post
    ET have already proved to exisit, Many countries no no longer enforce the information embargo on their people like america does.. stay tuned
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Some people would just incorporate into there particular religioius mythology.But to the most part it wouldn't have to much effect at all.

Sacredsin's father, uncle, and I had a discussion about this which made the best religious sense to me from their perspective. They think if intelligent alien life were to exist and these aliens had a an almost parallel belief system... (their example being Christianity) that it would prove a Christian god. I can see how people would see it that way although I feel it wouldn't do much to sway me from my atheism.

I believe fossil evidence would be enough to turn the world upside down, and I'm looking forward to hopefully be living in a time where this is a possible find via mars.

princeether Guest
    What would be the connotation for religions that consider Humanity to be Gods only creation?
    For example, I think it would be difficult for Christianity to reconcile the idea of Extraterrestrial life, with the Earth-focused view of the Bible. I am not talking about individuals, as I am aware that many Christians believe in Extraterrestrial life.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast