Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Extraterrestrial life and world religions...

Well, interestingly enough, Pope Benedict said just last year that it is OK to believe life could exist outside earth... wonder if it had anything to do with whatever they are trying to keep hush about that they discovered at MT GRAHM, the vatican owns a huge observatory on top of a mountain in Arizona.

Christianity as a whole? well I think many are open to the possibility but do not believe what the Government is telling them..

The European Space agency is not holding anything back, and I think this troubles Nasa...
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Quote Originally Posted by princeether View Post
    What, do you think, would be the effect on world religions if extraterrestrial life were proven to exist?
    One big fat oven baked batch of denial. But ONLY if it were sentient, reasoning, communicative, possibly humanoid extra-terrestrials. Anything less, and to be honest, no one would make that big a deal about it.

I am not sure what the effect on other world religions would be but I think that many Christians would be shocked. Either that or many Christians would be in denial and would claim that they were demons or something. But what if they were shown to be friendly? Would they still think of them as demons?

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    ET have already proved to exisit, Many countries no no longer enforce the information embargo on their people like america does.. stay tuned
    Wait what? An american here in need of information.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    The European Space agency is not holding anything back, and I think this troubles Nasa...
    Not Nasa, just the people in the know. There is a reason the ESA doesn't want to cover it up, and the USA wants to, and has, and only released what they did a few times. The one covering it up knows what the secret is, and since you can't hide ET as he'll just come, the tech isn't ET, but T.

I'm guessing all UFO's are USA or Russian or Chinese Technology.

Or perhaps I am giving the 3 too much credit.

IMO, I think that it would have no effect. C'mon we're so anthropocentric that we painted the gods as humans and made stories of animals and animal-like gods anthropomorphic and behave like us. We're so deluded as a species, that only the ones who can get over themselves with aliens, are the ones that would get over themselves without seeing ET.

Not even science could affect their beliefs, think a new life form elsewhere will? I think not
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

is offline Dislikes Special Snowflakes
    Quote Originally Posted by Doodlebug View Post
    I am not sure what the effect on other world religions would be but I think that many Christians would be shocked. Either that or many Christians would be in denial and would claim that they were demons or something. But what if they were shown to be friendly? Would they still think of them as demons?
    I feel as thought it wouldn't be exclusive to Christianity. Perhaps even Pagans would try to point a finger and claim things to be evil...

...the gods know enough people do that with Christians already...

I think Islam and Christianity would suffer a big ego blow. It would be hard to explain how these creatures could not know about Jesus aand Muhammad. Or arguements about whether aliens have souls or need the religion.

Me I think that they'd probably just be another creation of Anu in a large universe. It really doesn't change things for me.

Cool

The majority of the people on Earth would probably see them as Gods, or messengers thereof, and welcome them in Peace.

While the adherents of the "big 3" would see them as an enemy to the power that they hold over the people that pay them and therefore call for a war with them, as they could destroy their hold over the masses.

Peace,
    Twig
    Its Edna the Stunt Double. "Help, I've fallen and I have no legs!"[/FONT]
    Yesterday is but a memory.
    Tomorrow? But a dream.
    You can only live for Today.
    So make today a yesterday worth remembering fondly tomorrow! (c)

Click HERE to enter Paxglade Valley!!!
    YahooIM...twigjatmetacrawler
    Official Crazy Old Man of MW!

AKA Mad Jack Cash - Bard on the Loose

Quote Originally Posted by C. Iulia Regilia View Post
    I think Islam and Christianity would suffer a big ego blow. It would be hard to explain how these creatures could not know about Jesus aand Muhammad.
    Considering that exclusivist Christians and Muslims (i.e., the ones who believe that the only "true" religion is theirs and all others are "false"...) already believe that the other 2/3 of Humanity is going to "Hell" for not believing as they do...I don't see how it would change much.

OH HAI! MORE INFIDELZ!

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

As far as I'm aware the bible doesn't mention anything in regards to extraterrestial life forms which is what christians always reference when looking for answers and depending on their interpretation is how they percieve it.

Sine nothing is written about this, it would be a free for all to explain it from there already determined point of view.

Its not just christians but we all do this. Once we have a deep seated life viewpoint we take any new information and anaylze it then explain it in a way to fit our own bias.

Ultimately especially if they were intelligent life forms and were able to help teach us how to live in more productive societies it would have a negative effect on religion as far as converts and members because in poorer societies religion tends to thrive more than in wealthy ones because it helps to replace that organized structure and security that wealthier nations provide through the government.

Also it would allow more free flow of information which also has a negative effect especially on the larger religions simply because people are exposed to more information and aren't as relient on their rearing to determine what they truly believe. Also we tend to have strength in numbers so it makes it more acceptable in your own mind once you realize your not the only one that may view something a certain way. Which I credit the internet with some of the decline of christianity and increase of pagans, atheists and agnostics in the states.

So initially it won't have that large of an impact because they will simply explain it in a way to fit their bias, in fact it may even increase their numbers because people may feel threatened and religion gives us comfort and hope.

However over a period of time it would have a negative effect as far as numbers of converts and members.
    Last edited by Vampiel; April 21st, 2010 at 10:40 AM.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

When I was younger, a school teacher told us that if aliens or extraterrestrials existed, "God would have told us so!" I remember telling my mother (a devout Catholic) what my teacher said, and she said that the teacher was B'sing

In short, it may have an effect on certain people that practice certain faiths, but not on the faiths themselves.
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast