View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

Arrow Solitary or Coven?

I posted a similar poll in the newbie section, but I was wondering how the results might differ for those more experienced. Do you prefer solitary study/practice or coven/group study and practice? Are you currently involved in a solitary or group experience? If they differ, why?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]It's all in your head......... No, Really. I promise it.

I like to work with a combination of both solitary work and group study. I belong to a goddess coven that, for me is strictly for fellowship.

I work with another ecclectic coven for fellowship, and occassional workings for world peace, political action, healings, etc.

I work with my husband occasionally when we have problems that arise that need action.

I circle with my children as well. We call this family circle time.

I have a dear friend who I work my more serious work with and we also get together weekly for meditation and tarot/scrying/ rune work.

I do private worship on my own almost daily.
    I do craft and kitchen work alone. It works better for me that wa

I'm a solitary.

However, I picked "Unsure" because I have never worked with a coven and would like to. Just isn't really a possibility for me right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Citana View Post
    I posted a similar poll in the newbie section, but I was wondering how the results might differ for those more experienced. Do you prefer solitary study/practice or coven/group study and practice? Are you currently involved in a solitary or group experience? If they differ, why?
    Solitary. I don't quite like group activities.
    I mean, I've never been in a coven setting, so, I wouldn't know if it's better or whatever. But I generally am more amenable to remaining a Solitary Wiccan. Further, finding a coven that's not uptight traditional, and obtaining initiation into a coven, are probably beyond my means and time.
    Last edited by Louisvillian; February 14th, 2009 at 06:25 PM.

i prefer solitary.

i dont work well with others and people generally annoy me.

I enjoy working with a group. It's much more enjoyable to dance around the bonfire with others, or have more than just my voice singing the chants. But the discussions are far and away the best part, getting feedback to my own opinions, and hearing the opinions of others really opens my mind to the infinite possibilities.

I'm very lucky that I have found a more "laid back" group who don't all insist on doing things a particular way. We enjoy trying different things, pushing ourselves to try new things, learning new things.

Sadly, because of my chronic Migraine disorder, I have only been able to get together with the gang once in the last 4 months. I do wish I could find a viable treatment so we can get back to meeting every other Saturday.

I wonder if your results will not be schewed by the usuage of the word "Coven" as a descriptor? When I hear the word I tend to think of a Wiccan or Witchcraft inspired grouping.

As a product of a Family Tradition, we were not a coven but a family group. To even make that assumption was an error for the group was not Wiccan. It was always refered to as just the family. Yet even that to some extent is incorrect, for as we chose our respective paths the path would often pull us from the family grouping except to the extent of large family events.

For myself I follow a Shamanic / Greenwitch type path that is always a walk alone. There are no covens for our ability is individual with how we interact with the elements and spirits. While we may speak to other's to obtain views and idea's the final act is us alone.

is offline Now I know there is no before, nor after
    Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    I wonder if your results will not be schewed by the usuage of the word "Coven" as a descriptor? When I hear the word I tend to think of a Wiccan or Witchcraft inspired grouping.
    Yup, this.

"Coven" is a specific group format. there are others.

Also, what about people who do both?

I'm a member of a grove of ADF. I'm also a Hellenic Polytheist/Devotee of Apollo who does very different things on my own from what goes on in the grove. I'm not as involved now as I used to be, but for a while there, I was essentially practicing two religions simultaneously. Right now, I'm trying to figure out where I stand.
    Last edited by Fiamma; February 14th, 2009 at 11:58 PM.
    Memories of Pain and Light
    http://painandlight.wordpress.com/

Simple acts of devotion will never suffice.
    You, I cannot worship by halves.

Hellenic Web Forum- http://forum.hellenistai.com

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    Huh, I didn't even pay that much attention to the thread title. I always read the opening post before posting in a poll to make sure I know what question I'm answering. In the opening post the choice was made clear between solitary practice and coven/group practice. Guess the OP could have included "slash-group" in the thread title though. I'm sure she can ask an Admin to make that small change for her.

I picked the 'unsure' option, because I've never worked in a group.

I would like to one day, though. I guess it's just a matter of finding like-minded people.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast