View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

I have been solitary for so long but I would love to meet people my age and start a coven. Doesn't seem to be that many witch people where I live though.

Recently, I've been shifting from solitary practice to a duet. I'm with someone who is genuinely interested and involved with the same religion as I, so we've decided to practise together. We're kinda still solitary practitioners, in that we will do rituals on our own sometimes, but we perform important rites together. We might look into larger group work, but at the moment we're fine with what we're doing. And, honestly, it's fulfilling to me in a way that solitary practice just wasn't. I feel a much greater sense of male and female energy dynamic at work in our rituals, and we've determined together the god and goddess we worship.
    Last edited by Louisvillian; December 31st, 2011 at 01:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    Recently, I've been shifting from solitary practice to a duet. I'm with someone who is genuinely interested and involved with the same religion as I, so we've decided to practise together. We're kinda still solitary practitioners, in that we will do rituals on our own sometimes, but we perform important rites together. We might look into larger group work, but at the moment we're fine with what we're doing. And, honestly, it's fulfilling to me in a way that solitary practice just wasn't. I feel a much greater sense of male and female energy dynamic at work in our rituals, and we've determined together the god and goddess we worship.
    That sounds really nice, pretty much exactly what I would hope to be able to do sometime! I imagine it'd be hard to find not only other pagans where I live, but specifically people who believe something very close to what I do, as I'm definitely not your typical Wiccan. I can't imagine I'll ever go out with anyone with the same beliefs, as the chances are just quite low, but it'd be great to have a like-minded friend at some point.

So for me, I've always been solitary, but I would like to try something different sometime, though not until I've figured myself out first I guess.

I think when I fist started out I did want to find a group but I was never the skyclad, ceremonial kind of person. That seemed to be all that was available at the time.

When I decided Wicca specific wasn't my way I let go of the idea of group practice all together. I continued with online places like this one and talked with many different kinds of pagans to discover that most who lean towards the trad/family craft type practices tend not to practice in groups anyway. They tended towards independence and personal strength. I liked the idea of being able to do what was needed without the group poll or having to wait for late comers before starting in.

I think in the more recent years I just slipped into preferring and enjoying the solitude in practice. I like being in charge of my own decisions and actions. I also don't really like the idea of leading a bunch or being lead by others all that much. I mean I can see how working in a group together for a common goal, joining power and pushing energy towards a bigger goal. However I'm just not interested in pushing for that bigger goal.

When I first got started, I was very solitary, wanting to figure out the ins and outs of what I do. Well, I've been doing that for a long while now...and I've gotten very over it. I'd like to be able to practice in a group. When I have done group practice, the amount of energy that is raised in the rite is simply awe-inspiring. I feel I get better results with a single focused group rite over just me and myself doing. Plus, I've found doing stuff in a group provides feedback about what worked well, what didn't, and what we shouldn't do again until we can fix our ritual practice.

My only problem is that I'm out here in Muncie, Indiana. Finding a group that's willing to get together to do stuff is like searching for gold in cow manure with your bare hands, a lot of shite to dig through. I'm not knocking solitary practice one iota, and if it floats your boat then I wish you the best.

I'm coven based but of course can work solitary if I please, I can honestly say that I've learned more in seven years with the coven than about twenty on my own. It works for me, it doesn't work for everyone.

I just find it so hard to keep a group moving forward and on the same page spiritually. It's almost impossible, I always end up splintering off to do my own thing... But I do like to come back to the Wiccan community and open circles every 6 or so months.

I've barely worked in a group at all. It would make me anxious to focus on spirituality and be attuned to that sacred thinking amongst others I don't know well.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12