View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

Quote Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
    The only coven I've had contact with is one a friend is in. It is strictly female, and is comprised exclusively of (sorry if I offend anyone) heavy-set, middle-aged, man-hating, loud, opinionated, caty, purple-velvet-wearing, "my pentacle is bigger than yours" bragging, high priestesses. They are all currently between jobs and/or husbands, but will jump at any opportunity to point out why they are better than you, and know absolutely everything about everything. (Although I have yet to find one amongst them who has any metaphysical knowledge beyond what they've seen in the movie "The Craft", or on "The Ghost Whisperer.")

I don't want to stir up trouble, or stereo-type, but that really is the make-up of the entire group.
    It's like watching a wiccan version of the real housewives of the Jerry Springer show.

So, yeah... I think I'll remain solitary for now.

I know there are covens who aren't like this but unfortuntely, they seem to be few and far between. When I was 17 first exploring Wicca (my path has since changed), I met alot of these types. Sad part was, the majority were in their late 20s/30s and just seemed to have read some 101 books and never bothered to learn anything else. Thanks, but no thanks

I prefer being a solitary witch but if I met even just another witch I felt I could trust, someone who was beyond 101 (or at least was willing to continue educating themselves) then I would like to trying working together.
    Last edited by adrasteashadow; February 15th, 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Outlands of Arizona
    Covens are just a little too close to organized religion for my tastes...
    She came Lilith, a perfect myth
    The scarlet whore
    Skinned in magnificence
    In her defense
    She only slew a few of them

I work both solitary and sometimes with another during rites.
    The only thing that sucks around here is a straw.

Both Solitary and Coven work, or circle work as we call it. Although most of the more advanced working is done solitary.

I'm more solitary.
    however I would like to experience a coven.

Gainesville, Fl
    I was in a coven-like group...thing with a few people in high school. I thought it was nice at first, but when you find out that everyone purposefully is keeping secrets from each other about everything, it wears on the nerves, you know?
    With being solitary, I find I don't have to worry about that, hidden motives, or other emotions and intentions interfering with how I want something to work.

But that is just me.
    The past is a ghost, the future is a dream, and all we ever have is now. -Bill Cosby

Bangor, ME

Solitary but have practiced with about four others.

In my lifetime, I have practiced with four other people over a span of 20 years. I did much enjoy being around another pagan at the time and this leads me to beleive I might enjoy a coven. I live in Maine and have only lived here a year as of yesterday.
    I would love the oppurtunity to practice with more than one other person mostly for a rather selfish reason I suppose. I think it would be a great learning experience for me. Having practiced mostly solitary I must admit that I have always had some various small confusions about the craft as to wether or not I am taking a good approach. It has always felt right, guess thats all that really counts, but I would love to learn the philosiphies of other practitioners. I am always open to such things.
    If any of you out there know of any covens based in Maine, I would LOVE to get in contact with them. So by all means, feel free to send me some contact info. Maybe someone in the community is a member of a coven in Maine and could veer me in the right direction of fianlly obtaining the full coven experience.

Solitary, would like to participate larger scale with solstice gatherings but, there is still a lot of fear in my area and sadly I haven't branched out to my local Pagan community. Had too many bad experiences with folks who say they get it but they don't.

Green and fertile Bible Belt land
    I prefer solitary, because I'd rather be just that. Loneliness is precious to me; I value my privacy.

[you have been visited by a heliotrope]

chicago-area, Il
    I WISH there was a coven closer to me. I have never been a part of one but I have worked with the past. The closest one to me is an hour away and I would do that but I work a lot and I don't know if i would have enough time for it and Im also scared to join a coven. I don't want to go meet with them myself and they be crazies or something. I also have general anxiety about talking to other people I dont know...I still think about it though. I think it would be awesome to have a coven family to grow and learn and share and practice with though.

Sometimes, you just have to go with your gut

What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night. It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime. It is the little shadow which runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset

I am available for tarot readings

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast