View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

Unsure.... To my knowledge, there is no one else on my path in my area at all so I'm solitary practitioner on my path right now. I've always wanted to get a group going and see how it would be though.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

As I put in the new pagan forum, I prefer a combination of solitary, group work, and one-on-one teacher to student.

For those who have never or are thinking of joining a coven or group, I've seen both horrible covens who dissolve quickly and successful large covens that have been hived off multiple times, but who still all get together on a regular basis like family. It really depends on the group or coven leader and the personalities of the individuals. If you're thinking of joining a coven, remember that the coven must fit YOU, not the other way around. Most covens will treat those interested in joining as job applicants and will interview them - use this time to interview them back about their coven's beliefs, how they all get along, how regularly they meet, if leadership is permanent or based on group elections... what you desire to find in a coven. Do not let any coven demean you, tell you what or who you should be, and what you are and are not allowed to do. These are warning factors for cults. If you get dedicated into a tradition and a coven, but they scare you or are generally nasty people, you can always walk away.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerwoman View Post
    As I put in the new pagan forum, I prefer a combination of solitary, group work, and one-on-one teacher to student.

For those who have never or are thinking of joining a coven or group, I've seen both horrible covens who dissolve quickly and successful large covens that have been hived off multiple times, but who still all get together on a regular basis like family. It really depends on the group or coven leader and the personalities of the individuals. If you're thinking of joining a coven, remember that the coven must fit YOU, not the other way around. Most covens will treat those interested in joining as job applicants and will interview them - use this time to interview them back about their coven's beliefs, how they all get along, how regularly they meet, if leadership is permanent or based on group elections... what you desire to find in a coven. Do not let any coven demean you, tell you what or who you should be, and what you are and are not allowed to do. These are warning factors for cults. If you get dedicated into a tradition and a coven, but they scare you or are generally nasty people, you can always walk away.
    Excellent advice.

Actually, I would have to say “other”

I run a small coven, very close knit family type group. We celebrate the holidays together, and participate in group learning, share resources, and I am available for consultation at any time, (and am frequently consulted) but most of our “working” is done in a solitary fashion. Unless it’s something major, or outside of the depth of one member. Full/New moons are spent working alone more often then not, but we do get together once a month to share information and work on whatever project we have going (we try to keep the cupboard well stocked, so we get together to mix teas, prepare candles etc.)

“I think witches, of all people, are attuned to the weird.
    That's how we get our rep, I suppose.”
    -snapdragon-

I prefer to work as a solitary... or as a pair with my SO when the need arises. I will work with other people when asked to do so, but I am rarely the one doing the asking.
    Smart-assery provided free of charge.

Der Mann, Der Tiger, Die Legende

Ghosted by ~Elise~ & Master Kodiak

Quote Originally Posted by Rudas Starblaze View Post
    i dont work well with others and people generally annoy me.
    I'm with Rudas on this. I never have been a people person.
    [urlt]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=516159344[/url]

Embarrassed

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    I wonder if your results will not be schewed by the usuage of the word "Coven" as a descriptor? When I hear the word I tend to think of a Wiccan or Witchcraft inspired grouping.
    sorry about the confusion on the word choice.

There's not enough room in each selector to have done "coven/group" each time I stated "coven," unfortunately, and since there is a plethora of ways people define their 'groups,' it seemed at the time that "coven" was the most generic term on my mind (I have had people prefer I don't use the term 'group,' as it denotes a lesser than spiritual gathering, or implies something sexual in nature). And so, there it is. Sorry for the confusion again, I will see what I can do about that. I'll post another thread re: what your group is referred to as.

Most people who respond will know what I am referring to though, hopefully, and is why I clarified it by my original statement/post when I started the thread.

Thanks for the feedback though! It's been great so far!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]It's all in your head......... No, Really. I promise it.

ditto what rudas said...and besides, i can't find a gothic pagan coven...not a soul who shares my interests/beliefs...
    Truth, Beauty, Freedom, and Love

Since I have been on both sides of this fence many times. I can say I perfer solitary to group. Can not stand the BS that goes on in groups. I have been in 3 different groups from wiccan to druid.
    Available for Mentoring-PM Me
    check out profile in mentor section
    http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=167636

Smile

Of those who have been involved in a group environment, but no longer are due to group dynamics, "bs," etc. I would like to know what had originally attracted you to a group environment, and if that would still bring you to a group if those negative dynamics weren't an issue, basically, if you found a group that fit.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]It's all in your head......... No, Really. I promise it.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast