View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

In my case, I definitively prefer being in a coven. I was a solitary for like 4 years and I was not really getting ahead, stuff like meditation, visualisation, I could not do any of these alone, and I thought I'd be too shy for a coven. Then I took a free basic course about Wicca, to see if I could learn anything new about it, it was free after all, and I totally loved it. I did learn a few things and I totally connected with one of the teachers.

Both teachers were offering a more advanced course about Wicca and I went with the one I bonded with. The course was again a year long and this time really about Celtic Shamanic Wicca, which strangely was exactly what I was looking for. During that year, I met other members of their coven and they were all nice and friendly. They really have opened me on all levels. The techniques they've used have really helped me with my blocages. You could make a demand at the end of the year to be in their coven or do your own stuff on your own as solitary.

I think the two courses and the open rituals are a great way to meet the people in the coven and see if you want to be with them, and them to see who you are and see if you would fit in their coven too. I really love it so far. Our HP said once that even if you are in a coven, you're still a solitary Wiccan because you have to do your own practices on your own too at home, my solitary work as gotten longer actually since I'm in the coven because we have a lot of homeworks to do at home by ourselves.

I really feel it is a wish come true for me to be in a coven with loving people and studying exactly what I've wanted to study.

I do spend time with local pagans on a social level. But I really don't pratice with them. Simply because they are wiccan and I'm not. Nice folks but not my ritual cup of tea. I did pratice with a group when there was one closer by. I'm pretty comfortable to do either one. Its more what is in the area instead of what I have to do.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

For the most part, I work solitary. I like being able to personalize my practice and have found very few people in my area that share similar beliefs to mine. I do occasionally go to community events but mostly to socialize.
    てるてるあした。きょうはないでも、あしたはわらう。(Tomorrow will shine. Today you didn't but tomorrow you will smile)

is offline Unapologetically Fideistic
    I picked unsure as I haven't had a chance to work with a group.

However I believe both are needed. Solitary for ones own work and working in a Grove to really get the juicies flowing when a major working is needed.

I think sometimes we Pagans can be too individualistic for our own good, we need to learn how to work together in groups united for a common purpose.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    Unfortunately I don't think you really could have chosen a better word than "coven," I mean I certainly understand your choice of words here. But maybe there is a better word out there that I am not able to think of right now.
    Thanks for the positive feedback on that. I love our community and the emerging Pagan culture is fascinating to me (sociology/anthropology major), but sometimes (no meanness intended) we Pagans can be so finicky about terminology (understandably, it is common among emerging religions, historically speaking). 'tsall good, there are moments though when I just want to say, "you know that thingy... you know what I mean." LOL
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]It's all in your head......... No, Really. I promise it.

Last edited by ~Nixie; February 17th, 2012 at 01:56 PM.

I don't have any interest in covens, personally. Covens have rules, and getting away from other people's rules to find my own way has been a huge part of my path for a long time.

I'm not exactly solitary, either. My sister and I are a team. Yes, we both do work apart from one another, but we are most effective and most creative when we bounce things off one another. Just being in her home the other day, where we do our work, I found my brain opening up and things were occurring to me that were really fascinating.

Sometimes, we work with one or both of her sons, and my daughter is just beginning her practice, and will undoubtedly join us in the future. We prefer the term circle to the term coven. One of the reasons is we have no rules. All ideas are welcome and discussed, but we do all think along the same lines, so there's never been conflict. We also have tried to incorporate other pagan people we are friends with, but it never works. I think our circle is meant to be family only.

I'd love to meet more pagan people to socialize with, but I have had so many people try to tell me that my experiences aren't valid, and I'm tired of it. So I tend to shy away from even social contact.
    If you're looking for a pissing match, please look elsewhere. I know what I can do, and don't need to defend it, or be competitive about it. I don't enjoy conflict, so please choose someone who does. Sincere questions are, of course, welcome. Blessed be.

I have a blog now at LiveJournal. It's uncut raw emotion, so proceed with caution, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Have you ever been in a battle of wits, only to realize that your opponent was unarmed?

The only person who has to like you is the one you see in the mirror every day.
    Ironically, if she does, others will, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calli View Post
    I don't have any interest in covens, personally. Covens have rules, and getting away from other people's rules to find my own way has been a huge part of my path for a long time.

I'm not exactly solitary, either. My sister and I are a team. Yes, we both do work apart from one another, but we are most effective and most creative when we bounce things off one another. Just being in her home the other day, where we do our work, I found my brain opening up and things were occurring to me that were really fascinating.

Sometimes, we work with one or both of her sons, and my daughter is just beginning her practice, and will undoubtedly join us in the future. We prefer the term circle to the term coven. One of the reasons is we have no rules. All ideas are welcome and discussed, but we do all think along the same lines, so there's never been conflict. We also have tried to incorporate other pagan people we are friends with, but it never works. I think our circle is meant to be family only.

I'd love to meet more pagan people to socialize with, but I have had so many people try to tell me that my experiences aren't valid, and I'm tired of it. So I tend to shy away from even social contact.
    I prefer the term Circle over Coven as well, and I think you explained the reasoning better than I've been able to. Any group needs a few basic rules, but in our group we all discuss things and so far haven't done anything that we didn't all agree on. And we don't tell anyone their personal experiences aren't valid, although we may say they don't mesh with what we've experienced or what we're looking to experience within the group.

^
    doesn't play well with others <g>.

Quote Originally Posted by Calli View Post

This is pretty much the same for me except that I always work alone. I've been to different Pagan events but I really don't think that a coven would be suitable for me. I can't see myself even trying it to be honest, it doesn't appeal to me at all.

Having said that my partner is expressing an interest and has shown an inclination for sharing a ritual with me. I just know I can work with him so I'm really looking forward to that.

nesta

No man is so good as to be free of evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
    Norse Proverb

The coward believes he will live forever, if he holds back in the battle, but in old age he shall have no peace.
    Norse Proverb

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast