View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

Quote Originally Posted by Citana View Post
    I posted a similar poll in the newbie section, but I was wondering how the results might differ for those more experienced. Do you prefer solitary study/practice or coven/group study and practice? Are you currently involved in a solitary or group experience? If they differ, why?
    I voted for the solitary preference.

First, I don't fit neatly into one category. I've never encountered a green/kitchen non-Wiccan coven.

Second, groups that try to be broader and less focused on one pagan viewpoint don't do anything for me, spiritually. I participated in a Unitarian Universalist pagan group for a short time some years ago, and it left me feeling cold.

Third, I feel most spiritually connected when doing things solo or with a family member - meditating, doing Reiki, or even just cooking or tending my garden or attending the birth of goat kids or watching the sun set or laying in the grass and watching a meteor shower ...
    Last edited by Wood Nymph; November 6th, 2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: can't type :)
    ~Wood Nymph~

Cottage Witch Homestead group:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Cottage_Witch_Homestead/

I used to want to find a Coven really bad when I first step foot upon my path but now I couldn't think of anything worse. I LOVE working solitary and wouldn't want to change or share my working style for anyone (call me selfish) but I just don't like the idea. Not to mention if I mess up a working, Ritual, Spell, etc. I don't have to worry about feeling a prize prat in front of others :D Not that I ever mess up

No, solitary all the way for me.
    ~Free Your Mind~

)O( Blessings One & All )O(

***Knowledge really is Power***- Francis Bacon (1561 - 1626)

***Magic, madam, is like wine and, if you are not used to it, it will make you drunk*** - Susanna Clarke The Ladies of Grace Adieu

***Magick Works in Mysterious Ways*** - Me

Quote Originally Posted by ~Belladonna~ View Post
    I used to want to find a Coven really bad when I first step foot upon my path but now I couldn't think of anything worse. I LOVE working solitary and wouldn't want to change or share my working style for anyone (call me selfish) but I just don't like the idea. Not to mention if I mess up a working, Ritual, Spell, etc. I don't have to worry about feeling a prize prat in front of others :D Not that I ever mess up

No, solitary all the way for me.
    Everyone messes up sometime. Our group just laughs, and realized that the God and Goddess are laughing as well. Ya know, sometimes the funniest moments in a movie are watching the outtakes where someone messed up and they laugh along with everyone else. Please relax and don't take yourself so seriously.

I am solitary, the people that got together with move away and I dont know anyone that would like to do magickal work in agroup, I live in Urbana little town in Indiana and I got to much to learn that I wish that I have someone to exchange info. and experiinces please reply if you can help me.
    Blessed be

I am a solitary, there is no one, that I know that practice around where I live, I would love to have somebody to exchange info. and experiances. have never been in a coven I think it will be a wonderfull experience to live. I just join this site and I love to read all the posted information it make me feel more normal and not an outcast because I don't have people that I can tolk about my beliefs.

solitary

Quote Originally Posted by sara hernandez View Post
    I am a solitary, there is no one, that I know that practice around where I live, I would love to have somebody to exchange info. and experiances. have never been in a coven I think it will be a wonderfull experience to live. I just join this site and I love to read all the posted information it make me feel more normal and not an outcast because I don't have people that I can tolk about my beliefs.

what we think, we become.
    Buddha

is offline ~stop right there, criminal scum
    What I do, I do alone.

I don't really mind being solitary-definitely not enough to go looking for others. Ritual isn't a big part of my spirituality.

I have had times where I have wished that my man and I could perhaps do something spirit-inclined together. It doesn't seem to be a path worth pursuing though...I just get aggrieved when I have to come up with all the ideas. Add that to the list of "it's not his fault, but..."

I do have a feeling of wanting to connect with someone on that level, however. Groups just don't seem to be the way to go. And of course, I'd welcome friends. I'm just not the type of person that needs them all the time.

In summary-solitary. Coney walks this path alone. (well, perhaps with a few inanimate friends along for the ride...lol)

Register to be a potential bone marrow/stem cell donor!
    It's painless and free--and could save the life of someone with a blood disorder.

and in the wind, I hear those crows
    they will bring the spring, and take the cold away...

I've never had to have a coven. I mean I have nothing againist them and have/would work with them if the situation arises. Of course the problem is the only one in a reason able distance that I know of is a very mix and match kind of tradition. Which isn't my things. But I'm content not having a set group of people. So I suppose I can go either way.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

I'm a solitary practitioner in the terms of not belonging to a coven. My husband and i work together on some things, and sometimes i work with other people, but i like doing things my own way and most of the time on my own.

The Earth is a soft, beautiful woman, and the witch is her voice -- The Silver Wolf

I thought thee fair, I thought thee bright, who art as black as hell, as dark as night -- William Shakespeare

The road to paradise leads through the gates of Hell -- The Silver Wolf

I didn't start any regular spiritual practices until eight or nine years ago. I was happy with my guides and with my practice, but I was lonely for the company of other humans. I joined an online "coven". Of course, looking at things in hindsight, I realize that this was just a social networking site. So I can't really say I've been part of a coven proper. I met some great people at the online thing, but I found I was often scheduling my own spiritual practices around it because it wasn't fulfilling in a spiritual way. I clashed with leadership. Some of them were abusive. I left, which meant I had to be cut off from even the people I'd liked by the he-said, she-said. Yes, the whole thing was a stupid idea on my part.

During that time, I started working with my wife. Now our son is old enough to join us for some of our circles, too. And I still mainly practice as a solitary, as I've always done. To me, only this more recent practice is both fulfilling and has a social component. But I still get lonely for others sometimes, as there are few neo-pagans in our area, and few, if any, of them seem to like me. It's not perfect, but I'm content with it.

I won't say I would never join "another" coven (the quotes because I'm not convinced the other experience was a coven), but I would be very wary. My wife is taking a "degree" with me in the tradition I've formed working as a solitary - although the focus is on learning, not the recognition of an award, so it's seldom mentioned as a degree. It's very open, so it allows each of us to sculpt our own learning models while still interacting as co-learners. Although I am the ostensible "leader" in that I have more experience, it would be more accurate to say that we are both delineating the system as we go. Personally, I like this. I crave challenge, but seldom find it outside my own tradition. Besides this, I work in ways that are difficult for most people. In fact, I find my way of doing magic is often unexpected to others. A couple of you talked about your energy interrupting others'. I so know how that feels, and I was afraid my energy wouldn't work well with anyone's after the whole online thing. However, I've found that my energy is compatible with that of a very few other people - fortunately including my wife, despite the fact that her energy is very different from mine.

If you are considering a coven environment, here are some things that I recommend you consider deal-breakers:

- You should be free to ask anything you want about the coven, and you should get honest, ready answers. If they won't answer something that's important to you, they probably aren't the way to go.

- You should never be abused or betrayed. Your side should always be heard, even if it isn't popular.

- Group hierarchies, if they exist at all, should be very open. I don't know if I agree that every group should have rules, but no coven should adopt rules with which even one member disagrees.

- Your membership should never depend upon money. Some groups ask for donations, and that's fine, but money should never impair your experience with the group. And no group should deny membership to or pressure those who cannot pay.

- I think it's fine to join a ritual at a public event. However, you shouldn't be thrust into rites that require a high level of trust until you know the people first. No matter what the circumstances, no one should become upset with you if you need to withdraw from a ritual. Personally, I don't think there should even be a problem with immediate withdrawal. It might be ideal for someone to cut you a door before you leave the circle, but your group should contain at least one individual that can manage energy well enough to proceed without cutting it.

- And, in the case of an online environment, don't share spirit with someone you wouldn't let into your home.
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

My website: http://www.bookofspirals.com
    My blog: http://www.bookofspirals.com/blog
    An ezine I co-founded: http://spiraltree.weebly.com

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast