View Poll Results: Do you prefer a solitary or coven environment? Are you practicing differently?

Voters
246. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prefer and practice coven involvement

17 6.91%
  • I prefer and practice being solitary

117 47.56%
  • I prefer solitary involvement but practice in a coven

5 2.03%
  • I prefer coven involvement but practice solitary involvement

25 10.16%
  • Unsure; I have never experienced coven involvement, but would like to try it.

82 33.33%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Solitary or Coven?

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    I practice as a solitary both by choice and by necessity. By choice, because, well...I love to be and work alone. People get on my nerves, and I find that I am better able to focus when alone.

And by necessity, because there aren't any with similar beliefs (that I know of) in this area.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

I work alone, as my primary Goddess only works with Solitary individuals. I have no Patron god to work with(as of yet), and by my own preference I choose to work alone.

The only time I've worked with another was my fiancee for our engagement handfasting, and we called on no specific deities.

In all spiritual paths that I have followed and explored over the years I have been mainly a solitary practitioner but from time to time collaborated with covens. I have had friends that have practiced as well and have been there to offer support when I was going through difficult times.

I had been invited to join a few covens in the area where I grew up but was a little cautious because these people they just showed up on my doorstep and asked me to teach them. I found out that someone I use to collaborate with recommended me as a good teacher but then I also found out that this particular coven was feuding with another in the area. That was a surprise because I thought "warring covens" where just something that you read about it books.

That's when I told them I was out and to stay away from me. I practice for knowledge and to help the world. Not for personal power.

I've just started to get back into the practice and am trying to lay-low because I do not want to attract any attention of those around the area I'm living now. If my feelings are right and from what I have heard from other religious groups the area I am living in is huge for this kind of thing.

At least I'm going to lay-low for the time being. We will see what happens when I need someone to teach me something outside of what I can learn here.

Quote Originally Posted by Brearley Arn View Post
    I work alone, as my primary Goddess only works with Solitary individuals. I have no Patron god to work with(as of yet), and by my own preference I choose to work alone.

The only time I've worked with another was my fiancee for our engagement handfasting, and we called on no specific deities.
    Who is your primary Goddess?

Quote Originally Posted by Thrift View Post
    Who is your primary Goddess?
    Vasilia, Goddess of Wind and Stars. From the Vilturj Pantheon.

I am solitary, and I want to stay that way
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

I am solitary. So is my wife. We overlap each others beliefs enough to get along, but we differ enough to generally have different opinions from one another. It gives us lots to discuss, and it works for us.

The only coven I've had contact with is one a friend is in. It is strictly female, and is comprised exclusively of (sorry if I offend anyone) heavy-set, middle-aged, man-hating, loud, opinionated, caty, purple-velvet-wearing, "my pentacle is bigger than yours" bragging, high priestesses. They are all currently between jobs and/or husbands, but will jump at any opportunity to point out why they are better than you, and know absolutely everything about everything. (Although I have yet to find one amongst them who has any metaphysical knowledge beyond what they've seen in the movie "The Craft", or on "The Ghost Whisperer.")

I don't want to stir up trouble, or stereo-type, but that really is the make-up of the entire group. It's not that I have anything against any one of those personality traits on it's own. It's the slamming together of all of them in every member of the coven, and then mascarading it as a faith. That what gets me riled up. None of them will admit that any of the others is the leader, and from what I've seen (which is a lot) there is always at least one of them who is ticked off at one of the others.

It's like watching a wiccan version of the real housewives of the Jerry Springer show.

So, yeah... I think I'll remain solitary for now.
    "I put a capital N on nature and call it my church."

-Frank Lloyd Wright

I'm mostly solitary, but I think I would like to be in a coven.
    Available for readings. PM with question!

Most people adopt cats or dogs. I adopt dragons...

Quote Originally Posted by Citana View Post
    I posted a similar poll in the newbie section, but I was wondering how the results might differ for those more experienced. Do you prefer solitary study/practice or coven/group study and practice? Are you currently involved in a solitary or group experience? If they differ, why?
    I've worked with a training coven and an open public group, and I have to say, I much prefer solitary practice. I often don't like the way other people do things, so I just prefer to do it myself.

I haven't had the pleasure of working in a group yet, but I would like to give it a shot at some point. I am a member of an "order" but that is primarily online since I haven't been able to locate a Hermetic group in my area.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast