Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Cherry-Picking Vs. Traditionalism

Cherry-Picking Vs. Traditionalism

Is it Wrong to stray from specified guidlines within a path?
    Will doing so tarnish a given practice? Will doing so show disrespect to those that have "done the work"?
    Should we adhere to the rules?

Conversely, does holding onto the traditions from maybe thousands of years in the past keep us from moving forward? Should we take what we like, what is of use, and discard the rest?

Personally, I take freedom of religion to mean just that. What was pertinent decades, and centuries, and millenia ago may not be as applicable today, it may not Reconnect us the way that religion is supposed to.

I also think that much of the "Old Guard" enjoys their relative authority and don't want to see it taken from them. Then there are those that are comforted by structure and routine.

But that is IMO....

What's your's?

is offline Don't call down the Thunder
    If you don't follow tenets within a Tradition, then you are not OF that Tradition.

If you take parts of it and parts of another--then you are following a completely different path.

What's the difficulty in the understanding of that?
    *~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Resident Beotch

It seems some folks confuse "secrets" with Mysteries.
    The Mysteries aren't secret.
    They are there for whoever wishes to seek them out.
    There just aren't any shortcuts.

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

I thought it a question worth asking as someone in another thread was saying that being a Christian Witch was "this and this", and I thought, well, people claim to be certain things all the time, and other come up and say, "You're wrong."

For example, I practice Reiki. There's a whole hot-bed of contraversy there. Many Reiki Masters claim that if you're doing distance healing, it's not Reiki.

So...you know...I think there's room to wiggle.

And what about Christianity? There are so many traditions, so many different paths. Very often, when someone says somthing like:

"I've met Christians that do this, this, and this. What about that."

The response is, they weren't real Christians. Yet those people still claim to be Chrisitan.

Or, what if you follow no specific tradition, no particular path? Is that "wrong", to choose what you like from each?

As a Reiki master...distance reiki is reiki.

Cherrypicking is not the same wiggle room. When you take parts from one and then another and combine them, you have something new.

MY personal opinion is that you should name it something entirely different so as not to be confused with either original.

Elise

Resident Beotch

That's the Secret.

Don't ask Life to polish you into a jewel and then complain about all the rough treatment!

If you're talking shit behind my back - then you're close enough to kiss my ass.

Quote Originally Posted by malkookoo View Post
    And what about Christianity? There are so many traditions, so many different paths. Very often, when someone says somthing like:

"I've met Christians that do this, this, and this. What about that."

The response is, they weren't real Christians. Yet those people still claim to be Chrisitan.
    If they believe in the divinity of Christ, I think that is all it takes to be a Christian...I don't know for sure, I'm not one. But, there are as many sects of Christianity as there of Paganism, if not more.

As for what one person believes is or isn't shouldn't make a difference. It's what is in the soul that matters.

Elise

Resident Beotch

That's the Secret.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Elise~ View Post
    If they believe in the divinity of Christ, I think that is all it takes to be a Christian...I don't know for sure, I'm not one. But, there are as many sects of Christianity as there of Paganism, if not more.

As for what one person believes is or isn't shouldn't make a difference. It's what is in the soul that matters.

Elise
    Having been one, and having experience many different flavors and colors, I can say that most Baptists would be flinging spittle in rage at that idea.

I suppose I was flippant in my title.
    What I was getting at wuz:

Is it better to follow a prescribed path, or is freewheeling preferable? Which one will teach you more, or less.

I'm not saying one way is better than another, or that one matters more than another, or that any of them matter. Just trying to reel in some opinions. Like yours.

I've done both...one is not better than the other...just different ways of approach.

Elise

Resident Beotch

That's the Secret.

I personaly have never felt comfortable with the doctrine of ..... said path. I have always felt even of members of the same or similar belief system/ a path is an individual walk. You can share the mass/ circle etc... the expereince of the belief with your family/ friends/ community.

I have always picked and chose my beliefs until I formed my own path. I just say I am Pagan.. nobody needs to know why or how. My beliefs are mine.
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast