Thread: Cylon Projection in regards to sacred space.

Cylon Projection in regards to sacred space.

I got to thinking while walking to class one day. I am in university, I live in a dorm, my personal space is someone else's personal space.

My "altar" consists of a female figurine candle, a brass or copper pentagram, a candle with a pentagram on the holder, and many stones. This of course sits next to my speaker, between my computer monitor and my television. <_^

I was remembering something Silver Ravenwolf wrote about in one of her books. Now, I know her books have a lot of nonsense in it, but many of the practices and a good deal of the information is all right. She was referring, if memory serves, to when her daughter joined the Army and had no personal altar space in Basic Military Training. What she did instead was to essentially close her eyes, create a visual space in her imagination, it could be I assume then as grand and as wonderful as she wanted with all the supplies she needed, and she'd use that as a place of worship and contemplation.

The title of Cylon Projection, if you've watched Battlestar Galactica, is really a literal enactment of what I described above.

So, I was thinking about projection, and perhaps doing this in my own private life. Sitting down with a piece of paper, drawing what my altar would be, where it would be, how I would work with it, light candles and perhaps do rituals in the framework of my mind.

What do you all think? Workable? Or is there a danger of closing your eyes, doing this, then falling asleep? ^_^

Discuss!

I think there are a few people on the board that do this.

My visualization abilities aren't really up to par, otherwise it would be something I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by SphinYote View Post
    I think there are a few people on the board that do this.

My visualization abilities aren't really up to par, otherwise it would be something I'd do.
    I'd love to hear from them!

Honestly, I'm afraid i'd just fall asleep doing it!! A good ritual of just casting a circle, calling the God/Goddess, doing the rite, closing the circle, can take 30 minutes or more. To be frank 30 minutes is rather super fast.

I imagine though you could build an altar in your special place, pray there, and not do the whole shebang though.

Ben Gruagach is on this list, and you might find the visualisations at the back of his book "The Wiccan Mystic" useful. He has a standard opening and closing, which is useful because this stuff gets easier to control with repetitions, with several mix-and-match sequences to go in between.

He's a helpful guy; you could do worse than PM him.

Just a thought.

blessings
    ffetcher

In Ceremonial Magic, one of the teachings furthers to internalize one's altar, so one always has everything at hand.
    Xentor, your friendly-neighbourhood Checkerist
    Contact me | The Dialogues on Checkerism

I run the @anonywicks accounts on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram. Pagans present!