Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Daughter's teacher talking about God....

Thumbs down Daughter's teacher talking about God....

Yeah... I was in the shower this morning, and my daughter came in and said *Mommy we are made out of God* and *We are born from God* WOAAAAH
    I asked her where she heard that and she said a boy in her class said *made out of God*, and her teacher then said *We are born from God* And she should have told that boy that school wasn't the place to be talking about it.

Now I really thought that there is sposed' to be a no teaching of religion in our public schools...

This is comming by the way fromt he same teacher that at their Xmass party practically begged me to join their church. I thought it was out of line for her to ask, but I let it go. But now after hearing that she said this..... Makes me wonder what else she may be saying.

I told Ky not to listen to people when they say things like that, I then told her that we are not made out of God, that we are made from bone, muscle, skin, ect. And she was born of me not God.

If I wanted my daughter to learn about God I would take her to church or teach her myself.

Part of me wants to go have a talk with the principal. I am not a happy person after hearing this. What would you guys reccomend I do?

FOR THE HORDE!
    "There are many intelligent species in the universe. Some are owned by cats." Anonymous
    www.myspace.com/whitedragonfire1
    AIM: Dedkitty

~you know my motivation, givin my reputation~
    :deviltail

A personal sit down the principle where you discuss if the teacher should be talked to by you or just the principle or all three of you..

This is something that will get worse.

I was taught to never bash any other religion but I will certain people and this woman obviously doesn't respect that not everyone believes in God.

Children are very important, and they learn from us. If someone they see on a day to day basis is telling them something you don't want them to learn you have to step up.

But be diplomatic about it respectful that this is what this woman beleives which is why I think a sit down with all three of you will be a good thing. Becuase she'll be more inclined to listen to the issue with you in the room and not just the principle telling her. Plus you get to know exactally what she says and what she is told so you don't feel left out.

Just telling your daughter it's not true doens't help. Specially if the teacher keeps countering that.
    I danced within a circle, and a flower of light blossomed within my heart!

my deviantart

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteDragon View Post
    Part of me wants to go have a talk with the principal. I am not a happy person after hearing this. What would you guys reccomend I do?

Honestly? (I homeschool, so this is easy for me to say, I know...)...

I know that "legally", you are certainly within your rights to complain, and "legally", this teacher should certainly NOT be giving her opinions on religious matters.....

but the reality of the situation is that this is a wonderful opportunity for you to help her understand that different people have different opinions on the matter.

She is going to run into people ALL HER LIFE who try to tell her what to think about "God" and how we got here.

I think I'd be more inclined to start NOW by making clear that 'this is what this teacher thinks'; 'this is what that boy thinks'; 'and yes, a LOT of people think that....but it's not what Mama and Daddy think, and other people have their own ideas.'
    It will likely really go a long way towards helping her to understand that she has every right to make up her own mind.

My inclination is to focus my energy on my child and make things which I do not deem to be important as much of a non-issue as possible. I only have so much time and energy...
    Of course this attitude is largely why I homeschool.
    I got tired of negotiating with the "system" a long time ago.

Just my bit...
    Last edited by Faol-chu; March 17th, 2009 at 08:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Faol-chý View Post
    Honestly? (I homeschool, so this is easy for me to say, I know...)...

I know that "legally", you are certainly within your rights to complain, and "legally", this teacher should certainly NOT be giving her opinions on religious matters.....

but the reality of the situation is that this is a wonderful opportunity for you to help her understand that different people have different opinions on the matter.

She is going to run into people ALL HER LIFE who try to tell her what to think about "God" and how we got here.

I think I'd be more inclined to start NOW by making clear that 'this is what this teacher thinks'; 'this is what that boy thinks'; 'and yes, a LOT of people think that....but it's not what Mama and Daddy think, and other people have their own ideas.'
    It will likely really go a long way towards helping her to understand that she has every right to make up her own mind.

My inclination is to focus my energy on my child and make things which I do not deem to be important as much of a non-issue as possible. I only have so much time and energy...
    Of course this attitude is largely why I homeschool.
    I got tired of negotiating with the "system" a long time ago.

Just my bit...
    This is a wonderful bit of advice, and I concur 100%. The only thing I'd add is to teach your child to stand up for herself and what SHE believes, and let the chips fall where they may. If the problem progresses beyond a reasonable level ... say, for example, she tells the teacher and/or the boy that we are not made from god but skin, muscle, and bones ... and the teacher argues the point ... well a child is not equipped to handle that.

I love that... "We are made out of God." How sweetly said... but then I believe in what she said myself. I think it's better if the child says it after Sunday school, however.

I believe in home-schooling, if the parents can. The schools should not be teaching our kids, we should be, regardless of what we believe. I think the answer really is charter schools. Anyone here have experience with that?
    Last edited by Cunae; March 17th, 2009 at 09:44 AM.

I would personally mix the two suggestions given. This is a perfect opportunity to teach your child that people have different beliefs but I would also remind the school that this is true also.

I would recommend going and talking to the Principal. There's no need for that in public schools.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

i would have a talk with the teacher and the principal, I would remind her that there is a time and a place for everything and that the classroom is not a place to get preachy and that not everyone has similar beliefs. that is a blatant attempt at indoctrination at a public place.

However telling her that what they are saying isn't true (even if thats what you believe) is kinda disrespectful too, since everyone is entitled to their beliefs. perhaps suggesting that different people believe differently but this is not what we believe might be a better. (Think Christian telling kid that all atheists are evil for example)

in my opinion if she wants to preach she can quit her day job and start training to become a member of the clergy.

best of luck, i'm sure this will get cleared up.
    Last edited by aluokaloo; March 17th, 2009 at 10:23 AM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close Packmates with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

This has the potential to turn really ugly really fast. Are you and your family out of the closet? Because you will be after this conversation. I'm not saying to not have a conversation, but be prepared for the results.

Talk to the teacher first. Follow the correct chain for complaints. That way, you may nip everything in the bud. If this continues, then go to the principal. You just need to be prepared for the possible controversy this could ignite.

The problem is, once you say something, nothing is going to stop the other party from turning the entire thing into something it isn't and never was. You are in smalltown, TN the buckle of the baptist bible belt. You have brass ones just living there as a non-christian.

I strongly advise that you tread very carefully with this.

I agree with the others. Approach this carefully, following a chain for complaints (teacher, principal, etc). If it is possible, I think you should homeschool your daughter because the public school system corrupts peoples' minds. But that decision is up to you, of course. Mothers know best
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast