Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How would Re-Discovering Atlantis Change our World?

Lightbulb How would Re-Discovering Atlantis Change our World?

What is Plato was telling the truth?
    Please Note:
    If you say Atlantis is a myth, that is your right, but please do not derail the thread from the topic to dissuade those that believe.

If Atlantis then:"?" :

The re discovery of Atlantis would put many theories and unfounded Mythologies to rest once and for all. We will be able to work with technology and energy beyond our imagination.

Would things be better? Worse?
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

I think a great deal would depend upon where it was found. If found to have been in the MED itself and such then it would cause the re-write of much history. Possibly the recovery of some lost forms of technology or a better understanding of pre-history technology.

Yet if found out in the Atlantic as Plato indicates that would cause a major upheavel in almost all sciences. Not only would there be potential leaps in technology but the very histories of many nations around the Atlantic basin would be re-written. Possibly the entire notion of expansion and discovery would prove to be wrong as we know it.

edited to add

To some extent I think the location would also play a major factor with regards to it being a plus or minus to civilization. The technology or such if found in the med within the waters of a current state I believe would cause much bickering and jockeying for possession and usage. If in international waters then still a lot of jockying for position but no one nation could lay claim to it.

I think the ramifications upon established religions would suffer greatly though.

So as I indicated above I think the location of discovery would be the more important than the actual discovery and any clues or technology it might contain.
    Last edited by monsnoleedra; March 19th, 2009 at 12:42 AM.

Probably wouldn't change much - I doubt it would be much like the legends if an island was found.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Probably wouldn't change much - I doubt it would be much like the legends if an island was found.
    There are a great deal of Fantasy fairy tales about it, so I agree. So then it just depends on what it actually is that we find when and if we find it.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

There was a time when people thought Troy was just a myth, but it's been found in Turkey. I haven't read up on the archaeological finds from the city to know how much matches the myth, but still we know there was a city called Troy. I think if Atlantis was found, it'd be similar. Nothing earth shattering or mind blowing to most people in the world. Though people in the archaeological, mythological and historical field (and those that have interest in Atlantis) would probably be eager to jump in and comb through everything. I don't think anything like UFOs, advanced technology (like some tales state, technology even more advanced than ours right now) or anything bizarre will be there. If anything it might halt all those myths about Atlantis that are out there...you know, the people that claim they are channeling Zzorfg, an advanced alien that lived in Atlantis that escaped on a stargate sort of thing....or maybe not. I have a feeling they'll just ignore any of those findings...

That's hard to answer because we don't really know what will be found at "Atlantis". I doubt we can take Plato's word literally, and keep in mind, what was "advanced technology" to them, probably wouldn't be as awesome to us.

I think the biggest re-write to human history will come from the dating of the site if it is discovered. If it pre-dates the earliest civilisation as we know it, by ALOT, then it might send shockwaves. If evidence is found that relate to a completely different race of people from known ancient races, then yeah it'll be quite fascinating. Although i'm not sure if that last one is possible.

I've been following the theories which claim that the sphinx and pyramid building technology may have been inherited from a civilisation predating that of ancient Egypt. If "Atlantis" is found with documents supporting this theory, then it'll be mindblowing to many.

I think it would be good for humanity if something was discovered which challenged everyone's beliefs and preconceptions.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    I think it would be good for humanity if something was discovered which challenged everyone's beliefs and preconceptions.
    That actually happens fairly often... but how many people actually pay attention to scientific developments beyond what the news media deems story worthy?

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

That actually happens fairly often... but how many people actually pay attention to scientific developments beyond what the news media deems story worthy?
    That is true.

And as far as Atlantis goes, I think if anything was found (in the it was just an average city of it's time sort of way), those that are die-hard believers in some alien super civilization or something similar are just going to discount the findings in favor of their beliefs/faith.

True but I am kind of delving into the mists of fantasy a bit and trying to imagine what would happen if they did discover something which cast doubt our fundamental history. If Atalantis did exist and possesed technology or scientific knowledge far ahead of parallel civilisations of the time; or if there was undisputable evidence of interaction with extra-terrestrials etc...
    I just think we are too comfortable thinking we know virtually everything about our past and I wonder how people (including the news media) would deal with something so extraordinary. For one thing, many of the disputes that exist between different religious beliefs might become redundant... Or might be intensified.

I just think it might be healthy for humanity to be forced to re-evalute some of the fundamentals we sort of take for granted.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast