Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: How would Re-Discovering Atlantis Change our World?

Quote Originally Posted by Jolixte View Post
    I have to go to work soon, but I can probably tell you by tonight sometime.
    yes, the practicalities of life. It would be great if we could get paid for sitting around all day having discussions on mysticwicks

It's a credit to the clarity of your explanation that I can actually follow it. I haven't studied physics since I was 16.

I had one other initial question when you have a chance. I haven't quite got clear in my mind exactly what your stone is travelling on. Is it loose wooden rollers which people have to keep picking up from behind (once the stone block has been pulled forward a bit) and bringing round to the front or is it some kind of rigid frame linking wooden rollers which still make contact with both the stone block and the ground - or perhaps the latter wouldn't work? If it didn't, maybe some kind of rigid flat wooden platform supporting the stone with wooden rollers somehow as wheels? Or (re-reading Xander's link) was it just dragging it on a wooden sled, in which case, it wouldn't make much sense to work out how it travels on concrete, I suppose.

Thanks
    Last edited by green aventurine; March 23rd, 2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification

and also bear in mind the wooden sled idea was a theory and not an actual attempt at explaining how they transported the blocks.

As Tiberias mentioned above in page 6 Archaeology does not claim to give facts about this, only theories, allbeit stupid ones, but theory non the less lol..
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Quote Originally Posted by green aventurine View Post
    yes, the practicalities of life. It would be great if we could get paid for sitting around all day having discussions on mysticwicks
    you don't get paid?

lol
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    and also bear in mind the wooden sled idea was a theory and not an actual attempt at explaining how they transported the blocks.

As Tiberias mentioned above in page 6 Archaeology does not claim to give facts about this, only theories, allbeit stupid ones, but theory non the less lol..
    Yeah, I personally would say that I think it's one thing to try using this theory for getting the blocks onto the pyramid once they're there, but it's another thing to use it for transporting the blocks a long distance from the quarry (which is what we're talking about), especially if they weren't able to lay smooth, perfectly straight tracks/ramps etc along the desert floor all the way from the quarry. The latter seems a lot less plausible to me but I'm still trying to wrap my feeble mind round this article as archaeology/engineering isn't my strong point to put it mildly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptia...ion_techniques

"One of the major problems faced by the early pyramid builders was the need to move huge quantities of rock. The Twelfth Dynasty tomb of Djehutihotep has an illustration of a 172 men pulling an alabaster statue of him on a sledge. The statue is estimated to weigh 60 tonnes and Denys Stocks has estimated that 45 workers would be required to start moving a 16,300 kg lubricated block, or eight workers to move a 2,750 kg block.[1] .....

..... Experiments done by the Obayashi Corporation, with concrete blocks 0.8 m square by 1.6 m long and weighing 2.5 tons, showed how 18 men could drag the block over a 1-in-4 incline ramp, at a rate of 18 meters per minute. Vitruvius in De architectura[3] described a similar method for moving irregular weights. While it is unknown if the Egyptians used this method, the experiments show it could have worked using stones of this size. While Egyptologists maintain this, and indeed the pyramids were mostly made of 2.5 ton blocks, there were the 15+ ton and several 70-ton blocks that they do not mention."
    Last edited by green aventurine; March 25th, 2009 at 01:54 PM. Reason: clarification

and even then they don't take into account that the desert sand is not as firm as your local beach lol

and also, floating a 2.5 ton stone on a wooden barge? that would take one HUGE barge just to support it.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for

and even then they don't take into account that the desert sand is not as firm as your local beach lol.
    Yeah, that was going to be my backup/plan B objection lol I suspect, going by some of the figures that there wouldn't have been enough people available at any one time, even if there had been a perfectly straight, smooth route with a hard surface from the quarry to the Pyramid because of the slopes/inclines.

But when Harvard archaeologist Mark Lehner led an expedition to uncover clues about the people who built the pyramids, he found no evidence of housing for such a large population. Instead, his group discovered housing and food storage places for small gangs of workers. It appears that at any one time about 2,000 workers were on site, divided into two large divisions and smaller groups of about 200 men.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/pyramid.htm/printable

and also, floating a 2.5 ton stone on a wooden barge? that would take one HUGE barge just to support it
    Yes. As a layman I'm not sure but I would say 300 of those stones a day (on average) by barge seems a little hard to believe.

For long-distance transport, the blocks were loaded on barges and transported down the Nile. Workers dug canals to get the barges nearer to the site. Egyptologists estimate that workers placed­ about 300 stones a day during pyramid construction.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/pyramid.htm/printable

Quote Originally Posted by Avanti View Post
    I've been following the theories which claim that the sphinx and pyramid building technology may have been inherited from a civilisation predating that of ancient Egypt. If "Atlantis" is found with documents supporting this theory, then it'll be mindblowing to many.
    Zigurats. Ancient Sumerian Temples that were similiar to the step style Mayan and Aztec Pyramids. Sorry though, I cannot remember the Sumerian name for them.

Great thread X-Man. Leave it to me to come to the party 8 months late.

When I was very young, I was fascinated by dolphins. I read what I could on them, somehow I convinced myself that dolphins were the ancestors of the Atlantians. How intelligent they were etc.
    I think it would be amazing if Atlantis could be proven to really have existed.
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

I think the best it could do is shed light on history. These people potentially lived 50,000 years before recorded history, thus lengthening history by that long of a period. It might also explain the "golden age" myths of many civilizations.

Hopefully they wouldn't have tech significantly more advanced than ours, because we would probably use the tech to make weapons. We're good at blowing stuff up.

Clearly Atlantis is a myth of a once great civilization, and like most myths, like the Iliad, it is usually based on some underlying truth. Whether it be history or philosophy. I honestly think that Atlantis was based on a real place, as it was taught as to be one. Alexander the Great searched for it even.

In my opinion, it isn't beyond the straight of Gibralter (if thats the pillars of Heracles), but in the world of the ancient Greeks. Maybe not more advanced than Athens and Sparta, but more advanced that the greeks were at the time of the Atlantaeans, making them seem greater than they were.

But was there any civilization of that sort? And could a city/land just fall into the sea? Turns out, it did. Whether or not its Atlantis is debateable, but what happened at Thera sounds alot like it to me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minoan_eruption

The minoans were no strangers to the greeks as we know. They were also one of the most advanced civilizations of their day, and a powerful Thalassocracy. Though no I didn't get it from wikipedia, but a travel book for Santorini (and named santorini), and its real. I will look up more info shortly. but the discovery of atlantis seems to have changed nothing.

Turns out, Alexander may have been closer to Atlantis than he thought.
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7