Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: How would Re-Discovering Atlantis Change our World?

Quote Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
    True but I am kind of delving into the mists of fantasy a bit and trying to imagine what would happen if they did discover something which cast doubt our fundamental history. If Atalantis did exist and possesed technology or scientific knowledge far ahead of parallel civilisations of the time; or if there was undisputable evidence of interaction with extra-terrestrials etc...
    I just think we are too comfortable thinking we know virtually everything about our past and I wonder how people (including the news media) would deal with something so extraordinary. For one thing, many of the disputes that exist between different religious beliefs might become redundant... Or might be intensified.

I just think it might be healthy for humanity to be forced to re-evalute some of the fundamentals we sort of take for granted.
    Actually I've never heard a scientist nor historian claim to know everything about the past... or even close to everything. Those that feel that way are again, too lazy to be involved with the world of academia - finding Atlantis and a fully functioning spaceship next to an effigy of Marvin the Martian would do little to change the majority of people in this way.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

I think I agree with this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Actually I've never heard a scientist nor historian claim to know everything about the past... or even close to everything. Those that feel that way are again, too lazy to be involved with the world of academia -
    But this I am not so sure about...
    finding Atlantis and a fully functioning spaceship next to an effigy of Marvin the Martian would do little to change the majority of people in this way.
    I think that for a lot of non academics science has become a religion in the sense that people like yourself would hate. I think that people question science even less than most people question the tennants of their religious beliefs. They leave it up to the scientists to discover and explain everything while they go about their daily lives without questioning anything at all.
    The optimistic part of me likes to think that a headline grabbing visit from Marvin the Martian would shake people out of their complaceny and help them to re-discover the awe and wonder that the scientific journey has to offer. (As opposed to just accepting everything they are told with the kind of blind faith we generally associate with fundamentalist religions).
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

is offline I'm not shy. I'm just studying my prey
    I think that for a lot of non academics science has become a religion in the sense that people like yourself would hate. I think that people question science even less than most people question the tennants of their religious beliefs. They leave it up to the scientists to discover and explain everything while they go about their daily lives without questioning anything at all.
    The optimistic part of me likes to think that a headline grabbing visit from Marvin the Martian would shake people out of their complaceny and help them to re-discover the awe and wonder that the scientific journey has to offer. (As opposed to just accepting everything they are told with the kind of blind faith we generally associate with fundamentalist religions).
    I kinda disagree with that. From my experience, I have to say that the majority either disagree with science or are inherently distrustful of it. They don't see the progress being made but they have trouble with science disrupting or disproving their religious beliefs. Even on here, I've seen it occur and I think it's a much more popular position than the others are.
    Facebook::Witch blog::Book Blog
    Gods and Goddesses, Paths: Dianic & Goddess Witchcraft, Theology & Philosophy, Just Current Events, and Political Pagan Forum Guide.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha

Question everything.

But this I am not so sure about...

As much as I would indeed hate people revering science as a religion, I would prefer it to the trend that I see now-a-days. Gone are the days when I scientist could go on tv and with an air of authority inform the unquestioning masses... it's for the best in my opinion. But what we see now is more towards poorly educated arm chair scientists, basing their conclusions on political or religious ideals - cherry picking the words of real scientists (examples of this is rampant on MW). The other most common is the complacent, those whom are willing to let others do their thinking for them... it wouldn't be so bad if those people were the scientists - but nay, it is the politicians, the journalists and the religious leaders that have the influence. You could say it is simply different degrees of the same stupid.

Perhaps they would get a little excited over an uncovered statue of Marvin the Martian... but it would fade unfortunately. In order to keep up a pro-scientific attitude, the masses have to have an understanding of what science is - without this foundation complacency returns.

As I grow older and see what the common masses are descending into, the more of a technocratic elitist I become -

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Atlantis

I truly believe that the truth of Atlantis is encoded within our DNA.
    When man has evolved to the level that he is ready to re-experience Atlantis,it will be rediscovered!
    I do not believe that Atlantis was a myth, i believe that it was a way of being, a truth that was lost because of mans need for power.
    I have studied Plato, and Socrates....the great philosophers a little,....the truth is within, waiting to be discovered, at the right time, Atlantis will be returned!
    All is cellular memory, all is being awoken now!
    Science and spirituality will meet in the middle, and all answers will be found.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticMandy View Post
    When man has evolved to the level that he is ready to re-experience Atlantis,it will be rediscovered!
    I do not believe that Atlantis was a myth, i believe that it was a way of being, a truth that was lost because of mans need for power.
    I have studied Plato, and Socrates....the great philosophers a little,....the truth is within, waiting to be discovered, at the right time, Atlantis will be returned!
    Science and spirituality will meet in the middle, and all answers will be found.

That actually happens fairly often... but how many people actually pay attention to scientific developments beyond what the news media deems story worthy?
    Yeah, She went there, Science and Religion working together for the first time in history, Unhindered, Unstoppable by government or the Ruleing Elite who have kept us from finding answers for millenia.

I think the problem with much of the new technology that is going mainstream is that the actual source of "How we came to a knowlege of this..." is extremely controversial.

Ancient Civilizations have provided evidence for people to question what we currently are being spoon fed by the church as defined within the bounds of established customs, and beliefs.

New Discoveries in science and technology are not subject to the suppressive tactics that have kept us under the thumb of dogma and propiganda.

A PHD is no Greater than an Arm Chair Scientist. What they do with that knowlege, and how they contribute to humanity are what count in getting your thesis into textbooks.

The Problem with the internet is that we are able to become better educated than we were before. Experience yields more knowledge than any belief. (theory)

We have had theories which have been beaten to death using the same tried and failed methods "accepted by scientific and religious leaders" for generations. This is why those theories have remained a theory for so long.

We have accepted certain theories to be just theories for too long. Now that evidence exists it is being taken straight to the people bypassing the Editing dept of the Vatican, and The Aristocratic asswipes who would prevent that knowlege from being revealed.

Living by the status quo, is stagnation, and where the people do not grow intelectually, they stagnate, thus where a society stagnates it no longer thrives.

Genetics is now being given a huge wake up call. People can learn more about DNA and how it works than is being taught in school.

What we considered to be Junk DNA has been proven by Science to be of value and not junk.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    Yeah, She went there, Science and Religion working together for the first time in history, Unhindered, Unstoppable by government or the Ruleing Elite who have kept us from finding answers for millenia.
    I smell a conspiracy theory here. Who are these supposed Ruling Elite?

I think the problem with much of the new technology that is going mainstream is that the actual source of "How we came to a knowlege of this..." is extremely controversial.
    Yes and no. It's more about those that stand to win and those that stand to lose - which sounds odd considering I just scoffed at the idea of a ruling elite. It is not a conspiracy of puppet masters, but far more simple... those that have money, power and influence at a given time wish to keep it. It is both fortunate and unfortunate that they are too short sighted to maintain such control ad infinitum or even a relatively long time. It is fortunate in that no one group maintains control very long and we have the ability to progress - it is unfortunate that no sane long term planning is sustainable.

Now while the source of discovery can be controversial, even unethical - it is usually what is discovered and how it will influence the given balance of power that is more controversial. But as history has shown, truth will out! It is inevitable that (true) scientific discovery will enter the mainstream and crap doomed to obscurity eventually.

Ancient Civilizations have provided evidence for people to question what we currently are being spoon fed by the church as defined within the bounds of established customs, and beliefs.
    That for the most part has been taken care of. We know that the bible is not a very reliable set of history texts and in serious academia it is not viewed as such. This is where my elitism shines through, as alot of these debates have concluded and the standard has been established... it is the common riff raff that are lagging behind in this sense.

New Discoveries in science and technology are not subject to the suppressive tactics that have kept us under the thumb of dogma and propiganda.
    Not to the same degree... but the reason why they are not anymore is the inevitable nature of science and knowledge... it will be heard, and when done correctly, can not be denied (the process that is).

A PHD is no Greater than an Arm Chair Scientist. What they do with that knowlege, and how they contribute to humanity are what count in getting your thesis into textbooks.
    Oh there is a great level of authority granted to the PHD over the Arm Chair Scientist, for good reason too. An Arm Chair Scientist may conduct their research in their spare time, on week end and after work... but a PHD devotes their lives to such endeavors. This is why assholes like Kent Hovind are desperate to have their diploma mill produced PHDs taken seriously.

While great innovations can and have emerged from the amateur scientist, their knowledge base is comparably stunted and are not on the same academia level as a PHD. It is not a comment on their intelligence or capabilities... more towards their dedication (so to speak).

The Problem with the internet is that we are able to become better educated than we were before. Experience yields more knowledge than any belief. (theory)
    Again yes and no. Yes the internet grants us an unprecedented level of information, more than our predecessors could accumulate in a life time in fact. But it is a maze of inadequacies as well - as a personal estimate would say 95% of all information obtained from the internet is either too simplified, altered, incomplete or just plain A grade bullshit. There is an art to finding reputable and correct information within an unregulated medium like the internet and most people are not very good at it. A classic example is people's idea of why and how the Holocaust came about... it is interesting to watch that disaster bear its fruit.

We have had theories which have been beaten to death using the same tried and failed methods "accepted by scientific and religious leaders" for generations. This is why those theories have remained a theory for so long.
    I'm actually confused by this statement... would you care to elaborate? What is a scientific leader for one thing and how do they even compare to a religious leader in so much as to be used in the same sentence like you have. What are the tried and failed methods? And what do you think a theory is (as the last sentence's meaning depends on what you think a scientific theory is... if you get right, then the sentence is mismatched to the previous sentences... if you think it mean with I think you think it means then... well you're in trouble)

We have accepted certain theories to be just theories for too long.
    Just theories. Are you mixing and match the common usage of the word theory and a scientific theory? Or do you hold them as synonymous. In which case, my points regarding the apathy of the common people and the hacks that have no clue is being illustrated here.

A Scientific Theory remains a Scientific Theory unless it is proven wrong and replaced by a superior Scientific Theory. There is nothing higher as you are implying with the "certain theories to be just theories".

Now that evidence exists it is being taken straight to the people bypassing the Editing dept of the Vatican, and The Aristocratic asswipes who would prevent that knowlege from being revealed.
    Errr no. While the Vatican has enormous political power in the world, it does not possess anywhere near enough influence nor resources to filter and sensor scientific research and discovery. The Aristocrats are a dieing social class... this is emphasis by the fact that Royals and Nobles are increasingly marrying into the lower class bracket - their fate was sealed during the height of the Enlightenment.

Living by the status quo, is stagnation, and where the people do not grow intelectually, they stagnate, thus where a society stagnates it no longer thrives.
    I agree.
    Genetics is now being given a huge wake up call. People can learn more about DNA and how it works than is being taught in school.
    Err that's a matter of the the text book struggling to keep up with the discoveries - that's a simple case of logistics and time-frames... no conspiracy there.

What we considered to be Junk DNA has been proven by Science to be of value and not junk.
    Kind of. It has been shown that some Junk DNA isn't actually as redundant as once thought; when a scientist talks about Junk DNA to the public or high school biology classes it is often simpler and even necessary to use general but not quite accurate terms and descriptions. This is simply because in order to understand what Junk DNA as it really is requires a foundation of knowledge far greater than the average high school student.

This isn't so uncommon - think back to your math classes in primary school - you get taught that Circles are Circles, triangles are triangles. Then in university 101 level math you find out that circles are actually triangles. In primary school you learn that mummy and daddy did something called sex and about 9 months of growing in mummy's tummy you were born in the hospital. The details of adult relationships, intercourse, human gestation/embryonic development and birth are beyond a child's understanding. This method of simplifying things does not magically stop - knowledge gains complexity the further up the hierarchy you go. Like the child who only needs to know the broad details of where babies come from and that circles are circles - people do not often get the full details simply because it would go over their heads. This isn't to say by any means that this information is not accessible, as it is available to everyone - you do not need a secret decoder ring.

I smell a conspiracy theory here. Who are these supposed Ruling Elite?
    How one person views an event may differ from how it is interpreted by another.

Conspiracy Theory? Perhaps, or Perhaps not. It is your choice to believe something as theory or fact. History will tell many versions of the story, it is up to you to chose which one you believe. But having lived through it gives you a perspective from your own experience.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

I think that's an interesting way of looking at things. If I followed you correctly, I'm guessing for you the advanced technology they might find in Atlantis wouldn't necessarily be a machine but perhaps something like a manual containing a set of scientific techniques (e.g. psycho-spiritual such as visualisations/meditations etc) for fulfilling human evolutionary potential?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast