Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 70

Thread: How would Re-Discovering Atlantis Change our World?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    Science and the Church worked together so long as the government would allow it to. Bacon knew what I meant, or would have known rather lol
    I'd have to agree with this, at least in someone like Galileo's case:

    "Galileo's championing of Copernicanism was controversial within his lifetime. The geocentric view had been dominant since the time of Aristotle, and the controversy engendered by Galileo's presentation of heliocentrism as proven fact resulted in the Catholic Church's prohibiting its advocacy as empirically proven fact, because it was not empirically proven at the time and was contrary to the literal meaning of Scripture.[7] Galileo was eventually forced to recant his heliocentrism and spent the last years of his life under house arrest on orders of the Roman Inquisition."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,273
    And why do we remember Galileo so vividly today? The exception proves the rule.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    And why do we remember Galileo so vividly today? The exception proves the rule.
    Here's someone else who had problems with the church. Perhaps you'd like to provide us with some supporting links or quotes for your side of the argument?

    "Fearing the condemnation of the church, however, Descartes was rightly cautious about publicly expressing the full measure of his radical views."

    http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/4b.htm

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    51
    Posts
    33,446
    Pyramid construction is a continuously debated topic. There are no existing records of building plans or discussions of construction methods, so no one knows exactly what happened. Of course, archaeologists and engineers have plenty of ideas -- some sound far-fetched and others seem more reasonable. We'll use the Giza pyramids as an example because we have the most information on them.
    http://science.howstuffworks.com/pyramid.htm/printable

    this is an honest statement. It shows man is willing to admit he doesn't know something.

    Photographer: Pomortzeff | Agency: Dreamstime
    The Bent Pyramid at Dahshur, Egypt
    Transporting building materials
    Again, no one knows how laborers were able to get the 2.5-ton stone blocks from the quarries to the building site. Wheels wouldn't have been useful on the desert sand and gravel, so they most likely dragged the blocks with wooden sleds and ropes. Some think that workers used quarter-circle wooden sleds that fit around a rectangular block. They attached the sleds to the block, and a crew of about eight men rolled them along the ground, much like rolling a keg of beer. Others say the laborers used wooden rollers.
    For long-distance transport, the blocks were loaded on barges and transported down the Nile. Workers dug canals to get the barges nearer to the site.
    From the same site,
    ok, 8 men dragging a 2.5 ton stone across the desert? on a sled? or rolling logs ?? yeah ok...
    My 10 year old Niece is smart enough to know this is bullshit.

    at least they are able to say that no one knows for certian.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    948
    Here's another:

    "Another Copernican, Giordano Bruno, had been prosecuted in Rome by the same Cardinal Bellarmine and on 17 February 1600, burned at the stake as a heretic primarily for his theologic views and not necessarily his scientific ones."

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolaus_Copernicus

    although you might not want to count him.
    Last edited by green aventurine; March 20th, 2009 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Clarification

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    51
    Posts
    33,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    What do you mean by "government"?
    Those who governed the people. Controlled aspects of their daily lives, and decided what was acceptable and what was to be condemed.

    For example, many free thinkers including Bacon himself had run ins with the law concerning some of their writings, drawings, teachings etc..

    Davinci had most of his work confiscated and locked away in a basement ..

    Look at the knowledge that exists in the Library underneath the vatican, it belongs to the people, yet they still refuse to let us have access to it. WHY? what are they afraid of?
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New Jersey
    Age
    51
    Posts
    33,446
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    And why do we remember Galileo so vividly today? The exception proves the rule.
    Because there were people who believed in what he was doing. People were not simply satisfied with what the Church run state told them or allowed to be taught. They began to ask questions, they wanted to advance, they wanted to invent.

    Some of the work that was not seized was kept safe thankfully, or others were witness to it.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    eastbourne, united kingdom
    Posts
    2,361
    The truth is within, we mut awaken and remember it!
    we are ancient souls, many of us a part of Atlantean times!
    (I am coming from a very highly evolved spiritual viewpoint)
    I truly admire all you scientific minds!

  9. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    Because there were people who believed in what he was doing. People were not simply satisfied with what the Church run state told them or allowed to be taught. They began to ask questions, they wanted to advance, they wanted to invent.

    Some of the work that was not seized was kept safe thankfully, or others were witness to it.
    I'm not a historian but I'd say this was a more plausible explanation especially since Galileo doesn't seem to be an exception.

    Thanks for the link on pyramids, btw. My knowledge of archaeology is also very weak.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    948
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticMandy View Post
    The truth is within, we mut awaken and remember it!
    we are ancient souls, many of us a part of Atlantean times!
    (I am coming from a very highly evolved spiritual viewpoint)
    I truly admire all you scientific minds!
    Thanks for your reply. I think I understood what you're getting at. I'm guessing when you say "(remember) it" you mean an ability (eg being able to ride a bike) rather than knowing that something is so and so (eg Paris is the capital of France)? Perhaps that people in Atlantean times had more evolved abilities (rather than superior knowledge that something was so and so) which we've currently forgotten that we are capable of (if we've reincarnated from that far back) and that we should start using these again for a better society?

    (This is for anybody, really) Is there a standard myth about Atlantis that everyone accepts on this thread? I'm not very familiar with the myth. Are we just talking about whatever Plato wrote in his dialogues or does it include more modern interpretations/developments?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •