Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: How do you view mythology and how does this influence your view of deity or lack of?

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    While I do agree with your post to an extent, couldn't some of those customs be more superstition, like not going out on certain nights 'cause of the Hunt (it just seems it's local superstition that "on this night, a whole bunch of ghost and other beings are going to be riding about, so, stay inside", it seems like a way to control teens, just my opinion).

If it was certain days of the month or such I would say very definate. The Hunt came up whenever it was really foul weather and you had to go out. Yet it also depended upon how the storm came in so you could not say "Hey, bad weather so the Hunt is out tongiht".

You'd hear some similar things when you had to cross the FIfe of Firth on stormy nights. Usually about the old train that crashed into the sound when the bridge was taken out in a storm and hear the screams on the winds.

Where I worked we had to cross a long field and usually did so on foot as I lived in the barracks at the time. When it got foul the rain came in sideways and the winds would knock you down. We walked on a lighted path but I'd seen it so bad that you could not see one light beyond another. We actually had people that got pushed off the sidewalk and wandered around in the fog for long periods.

Sometimes you would hear the bay of hounds in the fog and swear something grabbed at you and tried to pull you down or out into the foggy field. Even the thunder of hoves at times but never saw a horse any where near it. Not counting those damn giant hares that would come hauling out of the fog and collide with you at times. Never saw so many hares in my life till I was there.

I'm not saying the whole Hunt is just superstition, maybe it's based on fact, and that it does happen sometimes, but, maybe, a lot of the time, when people fear it, it's just local custom.

I really do not know but it was ingrained in them pretty deep. Like we tried talking a few of the locals into going Snipe hunting with us one night that happened to be a Full Moon. You could see the fear on his face as he spoke about the Werewolves that would be out. It was a held belief that werewolves walked on those nights and no one would go out on the land or swampy coastal flats.

But I heard other stories of people that went farther into the Highlands and talked to people there. Certain area's they would not go into after dark because of haunting spirits and creatures that would do you harm.

BTW, quite cool experiences that you've had .
    I think the eariest feeling I ever had was at Glamus Castle and seeing what looked like the Grey Lady in the Chapel. Even after I had left just the though of that places used to get to me. Saw other ghost's and things there but that one always touched me, I suppose cause she looked so terrified and alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    If you dont like my opinion thats fine though if youre going to be that brash Id like to see a ref I could look up?
    I'm being brash? All I said was that I disagree with your opinion, if that is cause for anger then you need to chill buddy. Jeez.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    If he had cast it against a Med Basin backdrop then I might agree with this, being against a Celtic backdrop I fully agree with his position.
    And if he had prefaced his statements with any type of cultural backdrop my thoughts may have been different, but he was being quite general, whether he meant to be or not.
    Last edited by Son of Goddess; April 12th, 2009 at 08:49 PM.

I think the eariest feeling I ever had was at Glamus Castle and seeing what looked like the Grey Lady in the Chapel. Even after I had left just the though of that places used to get to me. Saw other ghost's and things there but that one always touched me, I suppose cause she looked so terrified and alone.
    I don't know much about the Hunt, so, I didn't know, what circumstances the Hunt arrived in, so, it wasn't just any old storm that people were afraid or, but, a specific type, one that you might be able to hear the Hounds?.

I view dieties as characters of events, natural phenomena and everyday things that ancient civilizations use to describe how the world works or why a disaster happens.
    They also give these dieties names, a personality and a story.
    I have heard of topas and that alot of religious icons are a result of these dieties being believed so hard that these beings actually come having a spirit that makes their presence felt and sometimes seen. They are not in fact real though.

But I really believe that dieties are part of another realm close to Earth. Perhaps an Earth in an alternate universe. Humanity and our souls could have originated in these realms and thats how we might get these cultures and vast beliefs on specific dieties.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Goddess View Post

And if he had prefaced his statements with any type of cultural backdrop my thoughts may have been different, but he was being quite general, whether he meant to be or not.
    Understand what your saying. I think for me it was a matter of what he wrote but also the general perspective of many of his posts with a backdrop against Ireland and the connection of family and local dieties.

Not sure if I had that in a corner of my mind or not at the time.

I don't know much about the Hunt, so, I didn't know, what circumstances the Hunt arrived in, so, it wasn't just any old storm that people were afraid or, but, a specific type, one that you might be able to hear the Hounds?.
    I really don't know enough about the Hunt to say this is how it always is. But yeah specific type storm that would come in. One of those things were you sort of felt ill and uneasy as you watched it build on the horizion. Almost as if there was an electrical surge building and the static was almost alive.

Then you'd get the driving rains and wind but also a dense fog or mist with it. Sounds that carry but really distorted in the way they arrive to your ears. You know it's strange but it really is sort of hard to describe though I can feel it all these years later.

Mythology is how the Mystics were able to translate what they received in such a manner that the conscious mind engages the story while the subconscious receives the light.

Myths, Fables , Parables all have many meanings depending on from which POV you are reading.
    11 Year Member
    Forum Guide for
    Astrology and the UFO & Extraterrestrial forums.

is offline Unapologetically Fideistic
    While I do agree with your post to an extent, couldn't some of those customs be more superstition, like not going out on certain nights 'cause of the Hunt (it just seems it's local superstition that "on this night, a whole bunch of ghost and other beings are going to be riding about, so, stay inside", it seems like a way to control teens, just my opinion).

I'm not saying the whole Hunt is just superstition, maybe it's based on fact, and that it does happen sometimes, but, maybe, a lot of the time, when people fear it, it's just local custom.

BTW, quite cool experiences that you've had .
    I got a friend who once encountered the Wild Hunt, as have I. Fiction and custom it ain't.

For my part I think we spend way to much time tryin' to cram the myths into all these psycho literary interpretations like Paganism is some sorta liberal arts class.

The myths, legens, tales and fables tell us of the Powers and of things an events that even if they never happened or existed are always real and true. An there may just be more truth to them than our post-modern world is comfortable with admitting...
    Last edited by Russ; April 13th, 2009 at 01:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Son of Goddess View Post
    I disagree with this as well. The Gods must be approached with thoughtfulness and piety, not cautionary fear--thats a very Xena/Hercules-like view on the Gods; as in from the tv series.
    That in my assesment is Brash.
    Either way you will have to put your money where your mouth is and I want the refs for what you said. I would progress the discussion to say what is the difference between Mythology and Folklore? Is there a separation between the literary tradition and the native oral traditions.

In the instance of Son of Gods view of Religio Romana the famous folklore of the Tana che urla rejects his interpretation of deity and supports mine. The below is a famous cautionary folktale called the Screaming Hole.

http://members.tripod.com/~DonAlfredo/tana.htm
    Un giovane minatore di Fornovolasco, passando davanti a questa grotta, vide una bellissima fata e se ne innamorò. Ma essa non volle incoraggiare questo amore e rifiutò di mostrarsi ulteriormente al giovane. Costui perse ogni interesse per la vita e si ammalò. Sarebbe morto, se la fata non gli avesse fatto trovare sull'uscio di casa un cesto pieno di erbe medicinali. Egli allora corse alla grotta, incontrò la creatura dei suoi sogni e volle farla sua. Ella lo informò che se fosse entrato con lei nella grotta non avrebbe più potuto uscirne e non avrebbe mai più rivisto il cielo. Il giovane disse che non desiderava altro e da allora nessuno più lo vide
    I would supply a translation but a man as well versed in his field of study as Son of God can probably provide a better translation then someone who picked up bits of Italian from interacting with Italian Culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Glowingsun View Post
    I view dieties as characters of events, natural phenomena and everyday things that ancient civilizations use to describe how the world works or why a disaster happens.
    They also give these dieties names, a personality and a story.
    I have heard of topas and that alot of religious icons are a result of these dieties being believed so hard that these beings actually come having a spirit that makes their presence felt and sometimes seen. They are not in fact real though.

But I really believe that dieties are part of another realm close to Earth. Perhaps an Earth in an alternate universe. Humanity and our souls could have originated in these realms and thats how we might get these cultures and vast beliefs on specific dieties.
    Interesting ideas, I do believe the Gods are part of another realm, although, whether or not our souls come from them is another issue.

I really don't know enough about the Hunt to say this is how it always is. But yeah specific type storm that would come in. One of those things were you sort of felt ill and uneasy as you watched it build on the horizion. Almost as if there was an electrical surge building and the static was almost alive.

Then you'd get the driving rains and wind but also a dense fog or mist with it. Sounds that carry but really distorted in the way they arrive to your ears. You know it's strange but it really is sort of hard to describe though I can feel it all these years later.
    Thanks for that, it sounds like a really cool experience (and scary), I might look a bit more into the Hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Xander67 View Post
    Myths, Fables , Parables all have many meanings depending on from which POV you are reading.
    This I agree with, Myths have many, many different levels of meaning, and none is more "better" or "more true" than another, in other words, if someone just looks at the Myths and takes it on face-value (e.g. that Horus chopped off Aset's head, that Ereshkigal placed Inanna on a spike and turned her into a rotting carcus, etc), that's ok, and if someone takes a more allegorical view of the Myths, then that's fine as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    I got a friend who once encountered the Wild Hunt, as have I. Fiction and custom it ain't.

For my part I think we spend way to much time tryin' to cram the myths into all these psycho literary interpretations like Paganism is some sorta liberal arts class.

The myths, legens, tales and fables tell us of the Powers and of things an events that even if they never happened or existed are always real and true. An there may just be more truth to them than our post-modern world is comfortable with admitting...
    I do agree that a psychological view of Myths shouldn't be the only one, it can be one of many interpretations, IMO, and, I definitely agree about the Myths being real and true, even if they never happened (it reminds me of something many Rabbis and Sages have said about the Exodus). Also, I do agree that events in the Myths that seem fantastic may have happened, maybe they still do, IMO, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    That in my assesment is Brash.
    Either way you will have to put your money where your mouth is and I want the refs for what you said. I would progress the discussion to say what is the difference between Mythology and Folklore? Is there a separation between the literary tradition and the native oral traditions.

In the instance of Son of Gods view of Religio Romana the famous folklore of the Tana che urla rejects his interpretation of deity and supports mine. The below is a famous cautionary folktale called the Screaming Hole.

http://members.tripod.com/~DonAlfredo/tana.htm

I would supply a translation but a man as well versed in his field of study as Son of God can probably provide a better translation then someone who picked up bits of Italian from interacting with Italian Culture.
    For those that don't speak Italian, would you mind summarising the quote?.

David.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast