Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: warrior path?

I think the "Warrior Path" is one that really gets played out too much. In my experience those claiming the label are mostly re-enactors, or martial artists wanting to identify with romantic, glorious notions about what warriors are imagined to stand for, that usually haven't actually been to war, or have seen combat. I think there are some with professions appropriate to it, but that's just their personal way of incorporating their religion into their daily life, the religion itself isn't so different.
    Semper Fidelis

is offline Mostly Benevolent Spiritual Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Faelon_Moon_Hawk View Post
    . To me they are one and the same, i believe to be a healer you must know how to harm and heal.
    I have always considered myself a warrior for many and varied reasons.. I beleive that holding yourself with honor and respect and utilizing what skills are nessacary against those that harm others is a holy act. I beleive that somepeople misconstrue the Term to represent one who uses violence for gain.. whether it be physical or metaphysical.

Really enjoyed the discussion on this thread

I really enjoyed the discussion on this thread. I've been trained and trained others in martial arts for a total of just short of 10 years.
    The relationship between reincarnation and martial skills and their use is that martial arts teaches Johnny "you just can't go around bullying people with that karate stuff". I came up the ranks in Tae Kwon Do and hurt people I trained with, got hurt some- sometimes pretty badly. But we were all willing participants-and I didn't know of one trained martial artist who set out to hurt unwilling bystanders.
    Later, I began training in Aiki-JiuJitsu (throws, joint locks, turning an attacker's energy against them). Much of the physical art gives the immobilized attacker the choice to walk away or, if they choose to keep fighting, pain and discomfort continues to be applied gradually, making it an easy choice for the attacker to simply stop and give in.
    Not hurting others unecessarily, then, I think goes back to the reincarnation concept that "harm to no one" represents the sense of balance which keeps us walking more or less straight on whatever karmic path, purpose, etc. and keeps us from straying from it so we can get on with dealing with the experience of what's on that path.
    The Warrior being peaceful and a healer makes perfect sense to me. What is unfortunate to me is the War- which doesn't originate from Warriors.

Satori43

Quote Originally Posted by Micheál View Post
    I think the "Warrior Path" is one that really gets played out too much. In my experience those claiming the label are mostly re-enactors, or martial artists wanting to identify with romantic, glorious notions about what warriors are imagined to stand for, that usually haven't actually been to war, or have seen combat. I think there are some with professions appropriate to it, but that's just their personal way of incorporating their religion into their daily life, the religion itself isn't so different.
    i'm a viet nam veteran. and a martial artist for 41 years now. i taught aikido and aikibujutsu for eleven years. i love to fight. and i haven't fought for decades. warrior is one of those buzz words that gets tossed around. people who fight get broken and killed. combat is brutal and honor has no place on the modern battlefield. from my perspective it's not what i'd be willing to fight for that matters. it's what i'd be willing to die for. or live for.
    Gardener, Martial Artist, Immortal

Interesting that this thread would get dug up...

Anyways, the OP was trying to reconcile the "Warrior's Path" with Reincarnation. Well gee...the Hindus have been talking about this concept for thousands of years, you know? In fact, it's in the Bhagavad Gita. One of my favorite passages, (which I'm going to get tattooed on my back, in Sanskrit, below a mural of the Hindu warrior-king Shivaji fighting the Mughals...), is when Arjun is preparing for war, and he looks across the battlefield, sees the faces of those that he is about to fight...and despairs. Krishna reminds him that he is of the warrior caste (Kshatriya), and that it is his duty to fight....and he says:

“Die, and you win heaven. Conquer, and you enjoy the earth. Stand up now, son of Kunti, and resolve to fight.” (Bhagavad Gita 2:37)

In other words, "you can't lose." It's a very similar sentiment to the idea of a "glorious death in battle" to Norse Polytheists. The only "bad" decision is to run away from your duty as a warrior to fight. To die in battle, doing one's duty, is great karma for a warrior.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    i'm a viet nam veteran. and a martial artist for 41 years now. i taught aikido and aikibujutsu for eleven years. i love to fight. and i haven't fought for decades. warrior is one of those buzz words that gets tossed around. people who fight get broken and killed. combat is brutal and honor has no place on the modern battlefield. from my perspective it's not what i'd be willing to fight for that matters. it's what i'd be willing to die for. or live for.
    It's looks like we have a little in common then. I've been studying martial arts since I was six from getting a Taekwondo&Shito-Ryu Blackbelt, to Kickboxing, shoot wrestling, Bujinkan, MCMAP, and now full contact jujitsu&MMA, (might actually started competing in MMA if I get the time). I served as a Rifleman in the 1st BTN 5th Marines in Operations Iraqi&Enduring Freedom. Although my mind still thinks in a certain way, and I'm quite able to serve&protect, and even re-enlist if I saw a justifiable cause, I knew after my 1st combat deployment that I'd be getting out after serving my time, and the 'Warrior Path' wasn't for me. It seems a lot of my comrades thought the same, the ones that made it back at least.

I may have wrestled with that decision re-adapting to civilian life, but I realise now that it was because of the conditioning. If anything my 'Path' has more to do with hearth&home. If need be I have no problem defending that, but any kind of 'fighting' I'll be doing will be for sport. If we look at it that way, then it looks like everyone that plays sports are warriors, while others have paid with their lives for that title.(as I'm sure you'll understand bro)
    Last edited by Micheal; August 2nd, 2011 at 02:00 AM. Reason: typo
    Semper Fidelis

Here's my opinion - I'm sure you all want to hear it.

I am a Marine (once a Marine, always a Marine). I believe that everyone is a Warrior, and walking that path at some times more than others.

Mothers defend their children...fight for their education, fight to teach how to be good people in a very bad world, protect them from harm and will lay down their lives for them if need be.

Children fight for their autonomy. They struggle to navigate through social pressure, adolescence, hormonal surges and so on to become capable adults.

Women struggle to be who they are, constantly battling the idea of what the "ideal" woman should be in order to be exactly who *they* are, and be comfortable with it. A middle aged woman fights against the sterotype that she is now irrelevant because she isn't 20 anymore....and pushes to make sure that she ages gracefully...her wrinkles are her battle scars.

Addicts fight against relapse every day....one second at a time, one hour a time, one day at a time.

People recovering from debilitating injuries fight against pain every day. They get up, do their therapy....sweat and cry and collapse from exhaustion. But they get up and do it again the next day.

I could go on - but the bottom line is that *everyone* is fighting a battle.

Blood, bullets, and bruises are not always an indicator of the Warrior Path. We are all Warriors, all walking that path, and while there isn't a Uniform or some sort of physical fight going on all the time....we still fight. Every day.
    Last edited by Twinkle; August 2nd, 2011 at 07:02 AM.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

I agree with that Twinkle, and part of the reason "Once a Marine always a Marine" is true is because we're instilled with certain codes, pushed through tests, and undergo a rite of passage where we'll carry what we got out of it with us for the rest of our lives. As humans we're also imprinted with certain instinct that help us survive, and in many circumstances in life invoke our warrior aspects in defence, or to overcome limitations and hardships. That spirit does make us all warriors.

What I have trouble understanding is how self identifying as being on 'The Warrior Path' is any different from other religious paths. Since warriors are traditionally associated with the class and caste, if we're taking these aspects away from one's lifestyle and profession, what makes the spirituality any different from others?
    Semper Fidelis

I don't believe that the human spirit....that instinct that makes us rise above adversity...has anything to do with religion or spirituality, really.

I think that some paths embrace it, and help us to utilize that instinct to the best of our ability - but it doesn't equate to a Warrior Path. Hellenismos, Buddhism, Hinduism, Atheism even....ask us to rise above what we are...face our fears and adversity...and come through on the other side.

The Warrior Path is the Human spirit - and that is found in all of us.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

That's pretty close to how I view it as well. From examples that I've seen from those that label their spiritual path 'The Warrior Path', I don't see much that distinguishes it from any other spiritual path. Having an interest in martial arts, idolising warrior/heroes of mythology, collecting weapons and re-enactment/LARPing, or playing World of Warcraft(all relating to war or combat) all seem like personal interests to me compared to those that have to deal with training for, or actual combat as a big part of their lifestyle or profession.

I've seen Wiccan Warrior: Walking a Spiritual Path in a Sometimes Hostile World by Kerr Cuhulain already mentioned in this thread. We can tell by the pen-name that the author is drawing from Ireland's greatest mythic warrior&hero Cú Chulainn(as many do), but he also happens to be a former Air Force Officer and retired police officer that served on a SWAT team&gang crime unit. We can all be warriors, but if someone's going to label their path as such, that's more along the lines that I'd expect.
    Semper Fidelis

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast