Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: warrior path?

I tend to find it interesting that so many claim it until it comes time to walk it. That and I find it interesting and amusing that so many claim a strength that is seen as positive of it as justification to say they walk it. Selecting those items that make it visible and exciting to be recognized as such but failing so badly in understanding the negative side of it.

It seem's strange to me that some can say they are Hellenist for example and go to so much extreme to say they follow all of it and thus are one thing. Yet say other's are inspired by it or only use parts of it so they can say they are inspiried by a thing but are not truly of that thing. Doesn't really matter either for it can be Pax Roman, Hellenistic, African Dispora or any other variant. That one is fluffy when they choose the "Glory" or whitelight side of a thing at the expense of the negative or darker facets of a thing. Yet when it comes to The Warriors Pathway its ok to claim the Glory or Whitelight side of it and saying they follow it.

All the "we fight battles to" so that makes us warriors just seems foolish to me. The warrior may train for the battle but the battle is not the focus or focale point of their pathway. One thing for certain being those on the warrior's path live, breathe and walk it all thier lives, 24 - 7. They don't join for a short time then walk away. They don't tend to use the bs once a thing always a thing. I hear once a Marine always a Marine and think that is such a narrow scope or concept when you consider those who served one tour versus those who served thier entire life. Granted I still have more respect for those who walked the pathway for even a short time versus those who claim the title but never tried at all.

In some ways it seem's crazy to me to say because one is a parent they are "warriors". As a parent i'll lay my life on the line for my children or spouse but that is because they are my flesh and blood. Yet as a warrior i'll lay my life on the line for those that have no relation to me because it is my calling. It is a pathway I walk in every facet of my life and influences and impacts upon all things I do and the way I view them. It is not something that I can select when it shall apply and when it will be ignored in favor of another outlook.

I trully believe that many look to the strengths of the Warrior Pathway and draw strength, confidence and perhaps respect from it but never walk the shadow side of it. yet that does not make them one upon the Warrior's Pathway nor inflict upon them the shadows that go with it. One may walk in the Spirit of the Warrior and call upon that spirit through out thier lives and in day to day situations.

Yet there in lies the difference I believe. There are many who call upon the Spirit of the Warrior in their lives and confuse it with being upon the Warrior Pathway. Then there are those that do walk the pathway and carry the glory facets upon their sleeves and face the shadow aspects within everyday of thier lives. Even when the body is aged and or broken they still stand ready to answer the call and step forward. To take up the sword when needed yet not desire it nor flaunt it.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    I tend to find it interesting that so many claim it until it comes time to walk it. That and I find it interesting and amusing that so many claim a strength that is seen as positive of it as justification to say they walk it. Selecting those items that make it visible and exciting to be recognized as such but failing so badly in understanding the negative side of it.

It seem's strange to me that some can say they are Hellenist for example and go to so much extreme to say they follow all of it and thus are one thing. Yet say other's are inspired by it or only use parts of it so they can say they are inspiried by a thing but are not truly of that thing. Doesn't really matter either for it can be Pax Roman, Hellenistic, African Dispora or any other variant. That one is fluffy when they choose the "Glory" or whitelight side of a thing at the expense of the negative or darker facets of a thing. Yet when it comes to The Warriors Pathway its ok to claim the Glory or Whitelight side of it and saying they follow it.

All the "we fight battles to" so that makes us warriors just seems foolish to me. The warrior may train for the battle but the battle is not the focus or focale point of their pathway. One thing for certain being those on the warrior's path live, breathe and walk it all thier lives, 24 - 7. They don't join for a short time then walk away. They don't tend to use the bs once a thing always a thing. I hear once a Marine always a Marine and think that is such a narrow scope or concept when you consider those who served one tour versus those who served thier entire life. Granted I still have more respect for those who walked the pathway for even a short time versus those who claim the title but never tried at all.

In some ways it seem's crazy to me to say because one is a parent they are "warriors". As a parent i'll lay my life on the line for my children or spouse but that is because they are my flesh and blood. Yet as a warrior i'll lay my life on the line for those that have no relation to me because it is my calling. It is a pathway I walk in every facet of my life and influences and impacts upon all things I do and the way I view them. It is not something that I can select when it shall apply and when it will be ignored in favor of another outlook.

I trully believe that many look to the strengths of the Warrior Pathway and draw strength, confidence and perhaps respect from it but never walk the shadow side of it. yet that does not make them one upon the Warrior's Pathway nor inflict upon them the shadows that go with it. One may walk in the Spirit of the Warrior and call upon that spirit through out thier lives and in day to day situations.

Yet there in lies the difference I believe. There are many who call upon the Spirit of the Warrior in their lives and confuse it with being upon the Warrior Pathway. Then there are those that do walk the pathway and carry the glory facets upon their sleeves and face the shadow aspects within everyday of thier lives. Even when the body is aged and or broken they still stand ready to answer the call and step forward. To take up the sword when needed yet not desire it nor flaunt it.
    Very well said. (:
    "If the stars should appear but one night every thousand years how man would marvel and stare." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Remember your spirituality" - Ganesha to a friend in a dream, 2008

Quote Originally Posted by Selah View Post
    Very well said. (:
    Really? Between the unintelligible, grammatically-incorrect sentences, and thinly-disguised insults, I thought it was basically nothing but a bunch of contradictory statements and testosterone-infused posturing, loaded with vague references to undefined concepts like the "Warrior Pathway" and what-not. :::shrugs::: To each his/her own...

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Yeah...I don't get it. We all can take up the sword at any time for whatever purpose we need to. Does it really have to be an *actual* sword? Seriously? And what exactly is the Warrior Pathway? A place in the mind and spirit that calls upon the reserves of willand strength? The LaVeyan Satanist has that....and they are not religious in any sense of the word.

Or maybe only "special" people are Warriors. Perhaps I have too much estrogen to be considered worthy.

And FTR - I am part of the most elite fighting force in the world. I have stood along with my comrades in the Marine Corps and would have put down my life for my country. I am qualified in both the rifle, pistol, hand to hand combat...and I can kick some ass.

Now I choose to defend and protect me and mine. It doesn't make me any less of a warrior...I just choose to fight different battles....and I acknowledge and applaud all others who fight their own personal battles, along with those who fight the grand ones that get all the glory and media coverage.

There is nothing fluffy or white light about the human spirit. It takes courage, work, determination, etc. But it is not exclusionary. It is inclusive...*everyone* has it in them. Everyone.
    Last edited by Twinkle; August 2nd, 2011 at 08:43 PM.
    "The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common:
    instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views,
    which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering."

=Twinkle;4667415]Yeah...I don't get it. We all can take up the sword at any time for whatever purpose we need to.
    Well truthfully I'd say those on the Warrior's Pathway never have to take up the "Sword" for they never put it down. It's in all facets of all they do and how they respond to the world about them. Of course how the term "Sword" is defined may very greatly as their choice of weapon or weapons.

Does it really have to be an *actual* sword? Seriously?
    Nope. Never said that it had to be a sword. A fire rake in the hands of a skilled fire fighter is as deadly as a sword.

And what exactly is the Warrior Pathway? A place in the mind and spirit that calls upon the reserves of will and strength?
    In some ways it is a place in the mind and a way of looking at things. In many ways its what seperates a soldier from a Merc from a warrior. Its a purpose they live thier lives for and many times a service to group and community. Its a commitment to things beyond themselves and what they dedicate themselves to. It's a belief and outlook that seperates the Firefighter from one who simply wears the uniform. It's a mind set and outlook that seperates a policeofficer from one who simply is doing a job for pay.

Though perhaps one of the most identifying facets is that while others may tap into that potential when needed those on the warriors pathway are there all their lives. Combat is not seen in the light of just war and battle but in every situation and how they shall respond. Combat is against self and thier own fears and abilities. Battle is standing when every facet tells you to run and that it is hopeless to try. It's walking into that burning building, answering that call that maybe your last, holding that line or even ordering a person to their deaths. It's not about being in a unique situation and arising to the challenge it's about being in that mind set and being there every day. Its all that and more and concepts that one has to experience to understand and relate to for words do an injustice to explaining it.

The LaVeyan Satanist has that....and they are not religious in any sense of the word.
    Yes but religion is one of the key factors along with social conditioning that those traits are built upon. Doesn't matter if it is the notion of Bushido, the old knights code of morality and strength or any other number of ideals and beliefs it is built upon.

Or maybe only "special" people are Warriors. Perhaps I have too much estrogen to be considered worthy.
    Maybe special people are the only warriors. Perhaps thats why so many firefighters, police personal and military have many of the same personality traits. Perhaps its the reason so many enter into social constructs where life is on the line all the time and the next situation could be the one that ends it all. Where life and death walk hand in hand and are constnat companions and reminders of sacrifices that have been made. Where the cost is high to self, family and every minute is precious for they know it could be gone the next second.

Now with regard to estrogen I never said anything about male vs female and who can or can not be upon the warriors pathway because of sex.

And FTR - I am part of the most elite fighting force in the world. I have stood along with my comrades in the Marine Corps and would have put down my life for
    my country. I am qualified in both the rifle, pistol, hand to hand combat...and I can kick some ass.
    Congratulations a lot of us are qualified in small arms and side arms. Heck many carrying rifles since we were big enough to keep both ends off the ground at the same time. You can keep the recruiter comments of elite fighting forces to yourself. Saw that dog and pony show every time I deployed with an ARG or FMF detachment. Saw it on the subs as they compared themselves to the rest of the Navy. Saw it with the Brown Shoe Navy as they compared themselves to Black Shoes. Saw it between the Rifle Companies, Snipers, Air Crew and Recon's as to who was the best and the elite.

Now I choose to defend and protect me and mine. It doesn't make me any less of a warrior.
    I didn't say it didn't make you a fighter or not influenced by the Spirit of the Warrior's Pathway. I said it didn't make you one on the Warrior's pathway.

Since I know it will get mentioned again but I see the Spirit of the Warrior's pathway as the social mindset that is instilled by usage of the word. It's the notion of strength and willingness to stand up for others. It's the mindset and belief of being willing to sacrifice ones own life and self to protect others or in the performace of serving others. It's many times the nostalgic, almost romantic, persception of the Knights of Old, the Samuari, the Warrior face of Native American's. Its the glory, the medals, the sense of union and comaraderie that is preceived and portrayed in the media.

..I just choose to fight different battles....and I acknowledge and applaud all others who fight their own personal battles, along with those who fight the grand ones that get all the glory and media coverage.
    Its not the grand battles that makes one a warrior or upon that pathway. Its not even the assumption of personal battles and what that entails for most find their battles within themselves. It may come across as snide or something but to me the external battles are easy to fight and does not require that much courage or strength to do so. It's the internal battles that are faced which are the ones that destroy our humanity and crush our minds and spirits many times.

But battles, a battle is when your in a fire and all exits are closed and fear grips your heart and despair tugs at your limbs. Battle is when you sit in the still of the darkness and see nothing but hear the breathing of the person next to you as you wonder what waits in the darkness. Battle is when you walk on eggs shells as you stand next to the vet who in the darkness is walking some rain soaked trail in Vietnam and you don't have any idea which he'll jump but you stand their for when he needs you. Battle is when your gut screams to run and you watch the person who is supposed to watch your back shoot across the field like a jack rabbit with its arse on fire but you stay less you leave the whole group hung out to dry. Battle is when you fight for your life against the person stuck in a dream inspired rage and thinks they are still engaged with some enemy and you do all you can to not hurt them.

Those and a million other examples that are lived everyday.

The Warrior's pathway, those on it are the ones who like I said do not have to take up the sword they never let it go to begin with. They swore an oath to themselves and to that which they swore to defend and / or protect. The ones who strape on the badge and bullets every day. The ones who drop all and race to the sound of the alarm siren and take up thier outfits and prepare to do battle against the elements. Those that lay thier lives on the line willingly and with stand the gruelling life style and costs it inflicts upon them, their bodies, their spirits and thier families. Those who never have to pick up the proverbial sword for they never let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Twinkle View Post

And FTR - I am part of the most elite fighting force in the world. I have stood along with my comrades in the Marine Corps and would have put down my life for my country. I am qualified in both the rifle, pistol, hand to hand combat...and I can kick some ass.
    The main reason why service personal get so much respect is because of their service, which is exactly what you volunteered to do, and what a lot of others only fantasise about. The Armed Forces is our modern Warrior caste, and the Marine Corps has a very honourable reputation amongst it. Every Marine is trained to be able to function as a rifleman, and you've been qualified and trained for combat. You've earned a title that will remain with you the rest of your life, and unlocked a part of yourself that is capable to accomplish many things.

This is a lot different that walk around thinking that they're Samurai born in the wrong period of time, or Celtic&Norse Warriors that walk around carrying knives&drinking from horns at the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
    They don't join for a short time then walk away. They don't tend to use the bs once a thing always a thing. I hear once a Marine always a Marine and think that is such a narrow scope or concept when you consider those who served one tour versus those who served thier entire life. Granted I still have more respect for those who walked the pathway for even a short time versus those who claim the title but never tried at all.
    Although I understand a lot of the above, just wanted to elaborate on this one. I can tell someone's entire service by looking at their chest, and I've met my fair share of people that served more than one enlistment or even retired and still didn't have the same experiences as I did. I've earned my CAR, and have attended plenty of Veteran's Day functions even as a civilian where the retirees rub elbows in front of the bbq pits with their big bellies and I can guarantee they can go shopping with their wives without still scanning rooftops, or have nightmares about screeching vans with RPG's aimed in on them.

You can only be sh*t on by Uncle Sam so many times until you can't imagine ever having a normal family life in that environment. My props to those that can, and do, but there are many areas in the civilian world where we can extend our 'service.' (I'm not implying that you didn't acknowledge that, as you've already given plenty of examples above, but just wanted to clarify)
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Micheál View Post
    .. This is a lot different that walk around thinking that they're Samurai born in the wrong period of time, or Celtic&Norse Warriors that walk around carrying knives&drinking from horns at the weekend.
    Oh I won't dispute that one. It's like falling into a Ren Fair. I have to admit though I used to think similiar about reenactors of civil war battles but found a lot of them were active military or retired military. Funny part was it didn't matter where it was at as to the caliber of the people doing it.

Although I understand a lot of the above, just wanted to elaborate on this one. I can tell someone's entire service by looking at their chest, and I've met my fair share of people that served more than one enlistment or even retired and still didn't have the same experiences as I did. I've earned my CAR, and have attended plenty of Veteran's Day functions even as a civilian where the retirees rub elbows in front of the bbq pits with their big bellies and I can guarantee they can go shopping with their wives without still scanning rooftops, or have nightmares about screeching vans with RPG's aimed in on them.
    I used to look at medal racks and ribbon rows to see who had done what and been where, especially when I was a newbie. In truth I stopped that after my tour in Spain when my CO tried awarding medals and ribbons to all the command personal for he claimed all were in support of that particular action. Those of us who deployed on the ground or on the waves (or beneath them for that matter) never said they didn't support us we just said they were not there with us. It trully got to the point where you looked to see if they had a NATO medal to go along with the others to show who had and who had not actually been to the area, ie former Yugoslavia. In some ways it got pretty bad for I knew a number that would say "Show me your combat pay or hazardous duty pay on your LES!" to shut them up.

In truth I find it hard to say that because a person has a large gut or such that they do not still walk on jungle trails or such. I've seen a number of them that look like they don't do anything yet let a car backfire and look at thier faces. Watch as they jockey for posiiton to keep their backs to walls so they can look over at the entry point to the area. For a number of the Vietnam vets I know watch them with children or women who come walking up to them. It sounds bad I suppose but in some ways those very BBQ's are like baboon outings as you watch the guards on the fringes and the family groups in the middle of them. But none of it speaks to the still nights when the memories won't be silent nor thier minds still.

Experiences are a difficult thing to address. Even the person who stands next to you will not experinece it the same way as you do. They will not know the same fear, hesitation, disorientation, etc that both are living at that very moment. Nor will they know the same memories that seek to fill the mind and numb it at that single instant of time.

I was in an unannounced training scenario where my hands sweated as I hauled that M-14 to my post. We opened that barrier door and came face to face with shadows standing there and knew we were dead but kept pushing anyway to take that threat out. Myself and the other rifleman pushed those rifle butt's forward and struck those figures that just seemed to materialize before us. What we felt was nothing compared to the team member's that were coming out behind us and had a few more seconds to consider what they were stepping into. But you know the fear and anger there was nothing to having Gunny ream our arses for pulling our strikes when we realized they were females and our Ops Officer before us. We were sailors but as far as Gunny was concerned we were Marines in how he expected us to respond and the butt chewing he gave us afterwards.

You can only be sh*t on by Uncle Sam so many times until you can't imagine ever having a normal family life in that environment. My props to those that can, and
    do, but there are many areas in the civilian world where we can extend our 'service.' (I'm not implying that you didn't acknowledge that, as you've already given plenty of examples above, but just wanted to clarify)
    I agree there are many area's where one can take their service and carry it to other endeavors. Where the very qualities of the Warrior's pathway is useful and serves well and is a good fit. I wouldn't even say I didn't see some good people get drummed out for stupid things over the years. Some that should have left and didn't and some that left who were a loss to the greater whole. Heck even to the point of a number that were everything you'd want from someone protecting your back in a heated situation but were walking cluster F*cks in other places. But then I think you get into the argument of who is a soldier, who is a Merc and who is a warrior which was a whole different ballgame.

Just to reference a Merc did it for the money, a soldier played the game perhaps even walked the walk and talked the talk but it was a job at best while the warrior it was thier life and calling. Granted more to it than just that but that gives the general gist.

sure is a lot of chest thumping and belittling going on. i could listen to this on a christian forum.
    Gardener, Martial Artist, Immortal

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    sure is a lot of chest thumping and belittling going on. i could listen to this on a christian forum.
    Damn, belittling is what I strive against. Odds are that I contributed to this since most of my latest post activity has been here, so I'll take the hint and stfu. My apologies, I guess we all have our sensitive subjects.
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by Hangatyr 13 View Post
    Mahatma Ghandi and other pacifists are not warriors. Being a warrior requires no "spiritual balance" or anything like that. A warrior is someone who goes to war and fights. Warriors are aggressive, atleast to some extent. Warriors fight and kill or atleast are trained and ready to do so. Warriors live by a code, and there are a variety of those.
    I would draw a difference between a "soldier", someone who goes and fights wars, and a "warrior." The best differentiation between the two I've heard is a solider is someone that only understands what he is told to fight and a warrior is someone who understands why he fights.

I've integrated a great deal of warrior ideology into my belief system. I've spent a great deal of time reading over and thinking about various attitudes towards the idea of death and reincarnation fits very well with that. Part of the classic image of a warrior is someone who is willing to enter a dangerous situation with little or no regard for his or her own safety and if you have the surety of reincarnation, that you will be reborn again, it makes that much easier. When death is a momentary annoyance, you become much less hesitant.
    "There is something to be learned from a rainstorm. When meeting with a sudden shower, you try not to get wet and run quickly along the road. By doing such things as passing under the eaves of houses one still gets wet. When you are resolved from the beginning, you will not be perplexed, though you will get the same soaking. This understanding extends to all things."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast