Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: comfortable and ready to talk...need some guidance bad

Quote Originally Posted by swapmeetmomma View Post
    I just need some suggestions on a more specific path to study. ex: druid, christian witch, wicca, etc. So a little about me I believe in jesus, im an empath, interested in energy work, I want to know more about what I can do with incense and herbs, I have a deep respect for the elements, and have an attraction to native american spirituality. Is there ANY specific path that anyone can think of that has atleast a few of these interests???? Thank you so much! Hugs
    Well, what the others have suggested about taking your time and being patient with yourself in your journey is of paramount importance. One must never attempt to rush into a spiritual path if one can help it; it takes a great deal of time and personal reflection to find just the right one. As was also mentioned, you may very well need to just establish your own unique tradition.

But, I notice two things about you, based on your post:

(1) You seem to want a pagan perspective, and
    (2) Jesus seems to figure largely in your value system. (Perhaps I am mistaken?)

I just want to reiterate that it is not unheard of for people to be Christians and pagans at the same time. There is a thread with some interesting links about the subject here:

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=207325

There is also something called Culdee Christianity, which from what I understand is a unique blend of Christian and Druidic beliefs, but admittedly my knowledge of this subject is minimal at present. Here is an interesting thread about it:

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.ph...ee#post3053923

These links may or may not be useful to you, for all I know your destiny may not be with these paths. But since Jesus seems important to you, I thought they might be helpful. In any case, only you can discover where your true destiny lies; nobody here can really point you in the right direction, because you are the only person who can find the right direction for you.
    Last edited by Darth Brooks; May 18th, 2009 at 04:23 AM.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

It seems you have anxieties about faith and socialization. Christianity, depending on which branch [and it does seem you are a Protestant since you used the word pastor], does not need to be tied to a church. You do not need to be a part of a church to be Christian, and there's nothing to say you can't change churches that have more acceptable pastors and worshipers. Reasonably speaking, I don't see why one failed church experience should suggest all churches will be failed experiences. Looking at traditions and regions where the Christian Church is part of Christianity itself (Catholic and Eastern Orthodox countries, for example), I tend to see church as a means of socialization: you orient yourself in society through orienting yourself around church principles--sometimes because there is a lack of government/other forms of stability.

Furthermore, I would argue the search for a specific path is also a search for faith and socialization. It can seen daunting when people ask 'what you are' (and that's a terribly loaded wording) and you present something along the lines of 'a little of everything' or 'not sure.' It's so much neater to say something like 'Christian witch' or 'Wiccan' because it helps place you in a more solid social position--even if that position is a negative one.

And I am not saying that socialization is not important. Each and every one of us must socialize and Lacan even argues socialization is a means through which we can imagine and visualize ourselves. But I do not think you should let unsatisfactory social circumstances draw you away from something you inherently believe. There are a huge number of churches in this world, for example. There are also a huge number of traditions to choose from--but there is no telling if any of them will be 'right' for you. The term 'path' is misleading because it suggests that you cannot advance if you are not walking one of them. Certainly, I've advanced plenty in life through walking no path and believing in no defined deity or ruling power. I have no conclusions about the universe or its structures to feel smug about--but I feel secure in my life nonetheless.

I would recommend taking a trip to a local new age shop (if you have one) and checking out the different sections. Pick up books that spark your interest. Nobody needs to figure out their religious path in a day, it is something that grows and changes over time. Keep reading, studying and being open to new paths and eventually something will start to resonate with you. The important part is that you try your best to live your life as a good person and to positively affect those around you. Everything else will fall into place eventually.
    http://ravingsfromateacherwitch.blogspot.com/

Twitter: http://twitter.com/PhoenixWitch

"Most books on witchcraft will tell you that witches work naked. This is because most books on witchcraft are written by men."
    - Neil Gaiman

Thank you both, its gonna be a rough journey but Ive gotta figure this out
    I think it's something almost everyone will go through at some point. I actually believe that this part of the journey is necessary and natural. It's because you care and you want to find the right way for you. From what I've seen in your posts in this thread and elsewhere I honestly think you're doing well. Like others have said, just keep going and trusting your gut instinct. Only do what feels right for you and things will work out. You may not find that you fit directly into any particular path. We're all so different that i don't find this at all surprising. Trust yourself to know.

I started out looking at Wicca and being raised Christian and I empathise with what you said in the introductory post in this thread. It took so many years for me to work out what was happening but I only realised much later that I was on my path and going the right way about my journey the whole time. It was important for me to go through all those struggles and frustrations. I researched lots of different paths and at the same time practised what I felt to be right. After a while I felt compelled to go in specific directions. It was a bit like following a trail of clues I had to decipher along the way. I learned so much about myself along the way. Even now that part of my path is quite established I'm still learning, just in different ways. I'm at a stage now where I know I'm Heathen and I have dedicated myself but within that sphere I very much follow my own path.

Swapmeetmomma I really do think you will find your way, and I also think your doing a good job of it so far.
    Last edited by Nesta; May 18th, 2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: spelling

nesta

No man is so good as to be free of evil, nor so bad as to be worth nothing.
    Norse Proverb

The coward believes he will live forever, if he holds back in the battle, but in old age he shall have no peace.
    Norse Proverb

Your replies have really helped, and made me feel alot better about not having a "title" which I believe I was insecure about. Thank you all very much. Its also nice to know that there are alot of others out there that have been through this too.
    I never knew a heart could live inside the rust from all your rain

Hell is the absence of love

Ghosted by Dandalion
    Ghosted by Midnight Flame

First of all, Heather, I sense that you are putting a lot of pressure on yourself to define your path quickly. Does it help to know that most of us don't do that? This is an important part of your journey, and I'd like to see you enjoy each step, and not miss the little joyful things out of your anxiety.

I don't fit into any defined path. I call myself eclectic or just pagan, if someone asks. Sometimes we need a word or phrase, you know? When I first started, I read nearly anything I could get my hands on. I don't find a lot that's of value on the Net. For me, it's books. I started with Scott Cunningham. His books are about Wicca, but much of the information crosses over to any pagan path. The thing I like about Cunningham, as opposed to say, Ray Buckland, is that Cunningham won't teach you anything you can inadvertently hurt yourself with. Things that can backfire and hurt you are for more advanced practitioners, not beginners. Cunningham teaches at the beginner level.

After I'd read a few dozen books, I noticed I started thinking "Hmmm. That doesn't sound right." or "Yeah. That's why that is that way." At that point, you begin to notice that you have a foundation of beliefs. Just remember, it's a journey, not a destination.

As far as finding others of like mind, have you visited the Christian Witchcraft board? I haven't, but it sounds like you might find people there who believe at least some of what you believe.

Good luck, sweetie, and enjoy the journey! These early years are so exciting and so precious!
    If you're looking for a pissing match, please look elsewhere. I know what I can do, and don't need to defend it, or be competitive about it. I don't enjoy conflict, so please choose someone who does. Sincere questions are, of course, welcome. Blessed be.

I have a blog now at LiveJournal. It's uncut raw emotion, so proceed with caution, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Have you ever been in a battle of wits, only to realize that your opponent was unarmed?

The only person who has to like you is the one you see in the mirror every day.
    Ironically, if she does, others will, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calli View Post
    Just remember, it's a journey, not a destination.
    Thank you for your advice, and I never thought of it as a journey, that really made something click and made me feel better. Thank you.

Ghosted by Dandalion

Okay so I found God when I was 15 and baptized as a 4 square christian at 16. I was happy but then realized that the church is not as I believe Jesus would want it. On the outside yes there is praise and worship, but I knew what people (including my pastors) were really thinking and feeling, so I left. I dont want to go back to a church. I studied wicca a lot before I found God and was very interested and felt that some of it spoke to me. Now I feel so empty and almost depressed because I cant get a lead on anything that speaks to me and I know that earth based religion or paganism is right for me I just dont know the path. I just need some suggestions on a more specific path to study. ex: druid, christian witch, wicca, etc. So a little about me I believe in jesus, im an empath, interested in energy work, I want to know more about what I can do with incense and herbs, I have a deep respect for the elements, and have an attraction to native american spirituality. Is there ANY specific path that anyone can think of that has atleast a few of these interests???? Thank you so much! Hugs
    What did your ancestors practice?
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

everyone in my family is either pagan wiccan or agnostic. And the only ancestors I know anything about is the mohawk tribe.

Ghosted by Dandalion

Try googling your interests. I think you will find most wiccan paths contain some herbalism and incense work. Have you thought about shamanism? I fought for years looking for a path that suited me, I never really found one but just call myself a Celtic Witch now . Lets me be open but still gives me a title to tell ppl
    ~*~*~*~

"I shall not see a world that will be dear to me. Summer without flowers, Kine will be without milk, Women without modesty, Men without valour, Captures without a king, Woods without a mast, Sea without produce" The Morrighan
    ~*~*~*~

"Take the splinters of my shattered dreams, build a casket for my tears" ~ R.I.P Dylan 30.07.09
    Aussieland 'Druid Crafter'

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast