Thread: Setting up a shrine

Setting up a shrine

I'm looking for ideas to help me set up a kitchen shrine. Because I'm in the broom closet, I don't want it to scare any visitors and have them think I'm sacrificing babies or anything.

I want to create a shrine to honour Artemis (Diana as most Wiccans seem to call her). At first, she seems like an odd choice for someone into green witchery, but I have often identified with her, from her protection of animals, of those she loves, and the goddess of the hunt. I want to honour that part of my personality and beliefs.

I'm not sure how to do a shrine to her, though. I'm crafty and handy, but I lack the creativeness to decorate. Any ideas would be very helpful (I've gone through the Kitchen Witch shrines and altar photos and got some ideas...and felt very envious of everyone's creativity).

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by kristadb View Post
    I'm looking for ideas to help me set up a kitchen shrine. Because I'm in the broom closet, I don't want it to scare any visitors and have them think I'm sacrificing babies or anything.
    Well the easiest way to avoid that is to refrain from sacrificing any babies. :hehehehe: Sorry, I couldn't resist. [/humor]

I want to create a shrine to honour Artemis (Diana as most Wiccans seem to call her). At first, she seems like an odd choice for someone into green witchery,
    What makes you say that? (Not being facetious, it's an honest question.) I would think a Goddess associated with the moon would be appropriate for something like green witchery, since the moon has plenty to do with green and growing things. But then again, I may lack perspective.

but I have often identified with her, from her protection of animals, of those she loves, and the goddess of the hunt. I want to honour that part of my personality and beliefs.
    Well I'm not sure what a green witch might say, but I think that's a good enough reason to worship Artemis. At least, it makes sense to me.

I'm not sure how to do a shrine to her, though. I'm crafty and handy, but I lack the creativeness to decorate. Any ideas would be very helpful (I've gone through the Kitchen Witch shrines and altar photos and got some ideas...and felt very envious of everyone's creativity).
    I did a quick search on Google and I found the following picture, which is of a shrine to Artemis.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23817525@N07/2267318100/

I'm not sure if that's what you're going for exactly, and if there are any devotees of Artemis/Diana on this board, it would be interesting to see what they think of it. But it seems cozy and inconspicuous enough. An uninitiated visitor of your home would probably think that you just have a fondness for unicorns and such. Of course I'm not suggesting that you copy it exactly, if you don't want to.

If that template seems no good, or if it seems too pricey, I would recommend running an image search on Google for images you like, which could then be printed out and tacked to the wall (or you might even frame them, if you prefer). I know it seems awful cheap but I don't think your Goddess would hold it against you just for being practical. Here's some Google image results I found:

http://images.google.com/images?q=Ar...cial&um=1&sa=2

http://images.google.com/images?hl=e...mages&aq=f&oq=

Hope this helps. Since it's not my tradition I'm not sure how helpful I am here, but hopefully somebody who worships Artemis might have something more helpful.
    Last edited by Darth Brooks; May 20th, 2009 at 05:08 AM.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

There is a thread on house hold alters here as well as specifically kitchen alters. Maybe seeing what other people have done will help?
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

You don't have to make a full out shrine for your kitchen. Something simple and innocuous would do. For me it is a representation of my hearth deity who gets fed a candle with offerings at her feet - and I place an offering bowl next to her for kitchen scraps for the house spirits. My aunt made the pretty bowls so they have a family connection for me as well. Something simple, easy to maintain and clean (kitchens are dirty!), that has meaning and significance to you.

Slainte!

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Rosette View Post
    There is a thread on house hold alters here as well as specifically kitchen alters. Maybe seeing what other people have done will help?
    (I said in my post that I was looking at theirs )

I want to create a shrine to honour Artemis (Diana as most Wiccans seem to call her). At first, she seems like an odd choice for someone into green witchery, but I have often identified with her, from her protection of animals, of those she loves, and the goddess of the hunt. I want to honour that part of my personality and beliefs.

Thanks in advance!
    A simple side-table with a statue of Her, and anything that symbolizes Her (antlers, anything symbolizing wild animals - especially forrest animals, anything symbolizing the hunt) would do.

Check out http://theoi.com/
    Αλεξανδρα Δοροθια βωνδ
    http://helleneste.wordpress.com/
    http://www.hellenion.org

I begin to sing of Pallas Athene, the glorious goddess, bright-eyed, inventive, unbending of heart, pure virgin, saviour of cities, courageous, Tritogeneia. From his awful head wise Zeus himself bare her arrayed in warlike arms of flashing gold, and awe seized all the gods as they gazed. But Athena sprang quickly from the immortal head and stood before Zeus who holds the aegis, shaking a sharp spear: great Olympus began to reel horribly at the might of the bright-eyed goddess, and earth round about cried fearfully, and the sea was moved and tossed with dark waves, while foam burst forth suddenly: the bright Son of Hyperion stopped his swift-footed horses a long while, until the maiden Pallas Athene had stripped the heavenly armour from her immortal shoulders. And wise Zeus was glad. And so hail to you, daughter of Zeus who holds the aegis!
    - THE HOMERIC HYMNS - XXVIII. TO ATHENA

Darth - great photos in there.

What makes you say that? (Not being facetious, it's an honest question.) re: Artemis

Too much of what's out there "hints strongly" that you need a crafty patron or a domestic goddess. When considering my personality, demeter doesn't come to mind; Artemis constantly does, however, and I have been associated with her throughout my life by others. Also, I feel drawn to her b/c we're alike (except for the whole virginity thing ).

Quote Originally Posted by Deerwoman View Post
    You don't have to make a full out shrine for your kitchen.
    Good point!

Quote Originally Posted by *~Amora~* View Post
    A simple side-table with a statue of Her, and anything that symbolizes Her (antlers, anything symbolizing wild animals - especially forrest animals, anything symbolizing the hunt) would do.

Check out http://theoi.com/
    Great ideas.

Thanks!

(I said in my post that I was looking at theirs )
    Sorry! I was awfully tired when I posted that, must have missed you saying that.
    Please click the banner to check out my Jewelry on ArtFire!

No worries - I was only teasing :P