Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: What witchy/pagan books are you reading now?

I've started (browsing) Cunningham's 'Complete Book of Incense, Oils and Brews.'

I will say I hardly find it "complete" as it's very Wiccan-focused so doesn't contain recipes for the command type formulas I'd like to see...
    The Famous Mother Bombie's Book of Witchcraft and Cunning Magick for Fortune Telling, Herb Magick, Divination, Charms, Potions and Old-Time Spellcraft.

My girlfriends and I hit the used bookstores and I found some treasures!

• "The Book of Light" by Lady Sara
    • "Crone's Book of Charms & Spells" by Valerie Worth
    • "The Serpent and the Rainbow" by Wade Davis
    • "Crossing Over: A Pagan Manual on Death and Dying" by Starhawk and the Reclaiming collective
    • "The Master Book of Candle Burning" by Henry Gamache
    • "Witchcraft in England" by Christina Hole"

i dunno if this counts but Tibtetan Sound Healing by Tenzin Wangyal Rinponche
    Last edited by aluokaloo; June 12th, 2009 at 02:16 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

Quote Originally Posted by Deerwoman View Post
    My girlfriends and I hit the used bookstores and I found some treasures!

• "The Book of Light" by Lady Sara
    • "Crone's Book of Charms & Spells" by Valerie Worth
    • "The Serpent and the Rainbow" by Wade Davis
    • "Crossing Over: A Pagan Manual on Death and Dying" by Starhawk and the Reclaiming collective
    • "The Master Book of Candle Burning" by Henry Gamache
    • "Witchcraft in England" by Christina Hole"
    Have you started reading the serpent and the rainbow yet? I looked on amazon and it seems very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by rubysparks View Post
    Have you started reading the serpent and the rainbow yet? I looked on amazon and it seems very interesting!
    I actually started reading it yesterday!

The author had me from the first chapter, he's a very good storyteller, especially since it's about his own life. How can one not get sucked into the story of an ethnobotanist who is asked to travel to Haiti to find out what plants are being used to create zombis by the vodoun priests there... I have a feeling I'll read this one rather quickly

Ducking out of the way of all the incoming ego schrapnel!
    Not In Kansas Anymore - Dark Arts, Sex Spell, Money Magic, and Other Things Your Neighbors Aren't Telling You by Christine Wicker

From the back cover:
    "Magic has stepped out of the movies, morphed from the pages of fairy tales, and is more present in America today than you might expect. Soccer moms get voodoo head washings in their backyards, young American soldiers send chants toward pagan gods of war, and a seemingly normal family determines that they are in fact elves. National bestselling author and award-winning religion reporter Christine Wicker leaves no talisman unturned in her hunt to find what's authentic and what's not in America's burgeoning magical reality. From the voodoo temples of New Orleans to the witches' covens of Salem to a graveyard in north Florida, Wicker probes the secrets of an underground society and teaches lessons she never dreamed could be taught. What she learns repels her, challenges her, and changes her in ways she never could have imagined. And if you let it, it might change you, too."

It just came in the mail this morning and since I'm laid up with an injured leg/foot... guess what I'll be doing today! LOL Looks like a very interesting read though.

I'm reading "Drawing Down the Moon" by Margot Adler. Probably the most comprehensible pagan book I've read, it is very neutral and observational, more like an overview on the current pagan situation in the USA (or rather back when it was published, which I think was the 1980s). It isn't fluffy, and it takes views from lots of different people. And it is also very big!

I would recommend it to any new pagan or the studying pagan because it has a lot on different paths. What I've learnt of neo-paganism so far has mostly come from this book; there are a lot of things I wouldn't know without reading it, it has so much knowledge in one thing.

Only problem is how outdated it is now, but it's worth it for all the knowledge in it.

Let's see..

Cunningham's Wicca. First book I ever read on the subject, and I'm reading it again.

And, Natural Witchery by Ellen Dugan.

I know Cunningham sometimes gets labled fluffy but I like how he writes.

I'm reading Natural Witchery by Ellen Dugan, and so far I really like it!

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth
    i ordered The Earth Path: Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature :by Starhawk a few days ago. I'm looking forward to reading it

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast