Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Thread: What witchy/pagan books are you reading now?

I ordered two books which I hope to read soon. Not exactly witchy, but I decided they fitted here:

Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women - by Emma Restall-Orr. (Really looking foward to reading this, should be good! )

Healing Wise: The Wise Woman Herbal - by Susun S. Weed.

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
    TWLOHA

Facebook

I just checked out Starhawk's "The Earth Path" from the library, and plan to start reading that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by moonbride View Post
    Not In Kansas Anymore - Dark Arts, Sex Spell, Money Magic, and Other Things Your Neighbors Aren't Telling You by Christine Wicker

From the back cover:
    "Magic has stepped out of the movies, morphed from the pages of fairy tales, and is more present in America today than you might expect. Soccer moms get voodoo head washings in their backyards, young American soldiers send chants toward pagan gods of war, and a seemingly normal family determines that they are in fact elves. National bestselling author and award-winning religion reporter Christine Wicker leaves no talisman unturned in her hunt to find what's authentic and what's not in America's burgeoning magical reality. From the voodoo temples of New Orleans to the witches' covens of Salem to a graveyard in north Florida, Wicker probes the secrets of an underground society and teaches lessons she never dreamed could be taught. What she learns repels her, challenges her, and changes her in ways she never could have imagined. And if you let it, it might change you, too."

It just came in the mail this morning and since I'm laid up with an injured leg/foot... guess what I'll be doing today! LOL Looks like a very interesting read though.
    Sounds quite cool, I might check it out.

Started reading "The Love Spell Book" by Gillian Kemp. It's a pretty quick read by its nature; nearly done and I just got it this morning.
    The Famous Mother Bombie's Book of Witchcraft and Cunning Magick for Fortune Telling, Herb Magick, Divination, Charms, Potions and Old-Time Spellcraft.

I got Kissing the Hag and currently reading it! Loving it so far!

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
    TWLOHA

Facebook

"the Haitian Vodou Handbook" - by Kenaz Filan. Not looking to practice... But looking for a little basic information on the unofficial national religion of the country we're adopting our boys from. It's actually given me some cultural and historical/political background as well - which I thought was a plus...

- Tip-toeing the raggedy edge of something magnificently dark but truly amazing...

I'm rereading "De Divinatione" (On Divination) by Marcus Tullius Cicero. I'm teaching a class on Divination to a local Pagan group tonight, and I want to be able to give ancient perspectives, rather than merely relying on Tarot Cards and Llewellyn books.

It's interesting how people often forget just how much Magick and Witchcraft was going on in the Hellenistic world.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLittleWitchy View Post
    Kissing the Hag: The Dark Goddess and the Unacceptable Nature of Women - by Emma Restall-Orr. (Really looking foward to reading this, should be good! )
    You know, I just remembered I saw that book in a bookstore on Wednesday, I may have to check that out now, it sounds quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritMan View Post
    "the Haitian Vodou Handbook" - by Kenaz Filan. Not looking to practice... But looking for a little basic information on the unofficial national religion of the country we're adopting our boys from. It's actually given me some cultural and historical/political background as well - which I thought was a plus...
    Again, interestingly, I saw that book too, I've wanted to check that out for awhile now, so, I may buy it (I was going to get it on wednesday, but, I couldn't make up my mind).
    Last edited by David19; August 14th, 2009 at 07:46 PM.

The Way of the Hedge Witch by Arin Murphy-Hiscock

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth
    i ordered Women who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes a few days ago, so i'm looking forward to reading it when i finally receive it . I also have Sacred Places of Goddess and The Earth Path to be read
    Last edited by MoonBreath; August 19th, 2009 at 07:35 AM.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast