Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: What witchy/pagan books are you reading now?

"Not in Kansas anymore...A curious tale of how magic is transforming America" by Christine Wicker.
    It piqued my curiosity so I put it on my want list on a book trading site...and here it is. Not quite what I hoped for...but so far it's not a bad book at all.
    His:

Mine:

Quote Originally Posted by WildThing View Post
    "Not in Kansas anymore...A curious tale of how magic is transforming America" by Christine Wicker.
    It piqued my curiosity so I put it on my want list on a book trading site...and here it is. Not quite what I hoped for...but so far it's not a bad book at all.
    I've got that too, although, I really started to read it in full yet.

Witchcraft: Theory and Practice, by Ly de Angeles.

I read that one a few months ago. It was pretty interesting -- I hadn't realized the extent of the influence occultism had on the United States through its history.

It's a bit of a popular account though rather than a scholarly one. But that makes it easy to read.

I've been reading the new "Witches' Almanac" (the publisher's website is http://www.thewitchesalmanac.com ) It's the issue covering Spring 2010 through Spring 2011. There are some great articles in there. I really liked the interview with Paul Huson (who wrote the famous book "Mastering Witchcraft" as well as some books on tarot and a book on herbalism.) The bios of Cecil Williamson and Sybil Leek were pretty good too.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    I read that one a few months ago. It was pretty interesting -- I hadn't realized the extent of the influence occultism had on the United States through its history.

It's a bit of a popular account though rather than a scholarly one. But that makes it easy to read.

I've been reading the new "Witches' Almanac" (the publisher's website is http://www.thewitchesalmanac.com ) It's the issue covering Spring 2010 through Spring 2011. There are some great articles in there. I really liked the interview with Paul Huson (who wrote the famous book "Mastering Witchcraft" as well as some books on tarot and a book on herbalism.) The bios of Cecil Williamson and Sybil Leek were pretty good too.
    I think I've seen that in the shops recently, I'll have to go back and get it this friday, or after (I get paid then ).

I agree about 'Not in Kansas Anymore', it is easy to read, IMO, and that's a good thing, it's more digestable, and quite fun too.

I read that a few years ago. I really liked it. Right now I am reading, "Energy Essentials For Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om." I am actually pretty impressed with it.

I just finished The Circle of Isis: Ancient Egyptian Magick for Modern Witches by Ellen Cannon Reed, and am currently reading The Temple of High Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Rainsong View Post
    Right now I am reading, "Energy Essentials For Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om." I am actually pretty impressed with it.
    I've just ordered that one -- it sounds like something I'll like!

Quote Originally Posted by Sage Rainsong View Post
    I read that a few years ago. I really liked it. Right now I am reading, "Energy Essentials For Witches and Spellcasters by Mya Om." I am actually pretty impressed with it.
    I've just searched for that on Google Books, and, it seems interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by FrostyAthame View Post
    I just finished The Circle of Isis: Ancient Egyptian Magick for Modern Witches by Ellen Cannon Reed, and am currently reading The Temple of High Witchcraft by Christopher Penczak.
    I've got 'The Circle of Isis', and, while I haven't finished it yet, it is quite interesting, and, from what I've heard from other Kemetics, Reed is very respectful to the ancient Kemetic religion and Gods.

I recently purchased "The Element Encyclopedia of 20,000 Dreams"

I am VERY impressed with it, it has been very accurate and you can find pretty much EVERY dream you could ever have. Even my sister has come into my room to get it each time she dreams something. lol

I am looking into getting all the other Element Encyclopedia books, especially interested in the witchcraft one.

Anyone got any of these books? What do you think?

"We are only asked to love, to offer hope to the many hopeless. We don't get to choose all the endings, but we are asked to play the rescuers. We won't solve all mysteries and our hearts will certainly break in such a vulnerable life, but it is the best way. We were made to be lovers bold in broken places, pouring ourselves out again and again until we're called home." ~
    TWLOHA

Facebook

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast