Thread: Questions!

Questions!

I'm quite new to the path and I'm not even sure this is where I'm supposed to be. Ever since I was a young child, I've always felt a pull towards Paganism, but have always pushed it to the side until recently.

So, what I'm wondering is, any books, websites, etc that anyone could suggest that would help me on the path? Paganism is so vast and there are so many paths, I'm not even sure where to begin and I feel very overwhelmed!

Any help is appreciated.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (My sisters shop)

People are of different spiritual temperaments and therefore will approach Deity in different ways

Welcome to MW!

Are there any particular directions you're interested in exploring as far as paganism is concerned? For instance, are you more interested in Goddesses, or non-theistic paths, or the darker paths, etc.? Any particular cultures you're interested in, like the Celts, the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, etc.?

Here's a few threads you might check out to help you. Numerous books are suggested in these pages that you might find interesting:

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=3733
    http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=54567

Also, I recommend going on Google Book Search, typing in whatever words are relevant to you (like "pagan," "witch," etc.) and seeing what kinds of results you get. Many of the results you can find there will let you read most of a book (though a few pages might be removed for copyright reasons). It's at least a useful way to check out any books and see if you might like to buy them later.
    My God is a real Ass; He butchered the Dying-and-Rising Lord, He stole the Eye from the Hawk, He sires the Children of Rebellion, and He lusts after God and Goddess alike. Every green and growing thing shrivels into dust at His touch; every convention is violated by the seed of His loins. He brings drought and infertility to the land, and He has no respect for the crook or the flail. Yet without Him, the slave would never break free from his bondage, the evil serpent would devour the sun, and the future would never come to pass.

The song of the tempest is His name.

Khepher-I-Suti

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
    Welcome to MW!

Are there any particular directions you're interested in exploring as far as paganism is concerned? For instance, are you more interested in Goddesses, or non-theistic paths, or the darker paths, etc.? Any particular cultures you're interested in, like the Celts, the Romans, the Greeks, the Egyptians, the Babylonians, etc.?

Here's a few threads you might check out to help you. Numerous books are suggested in these pages that you might find interesting:

http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=3733
    http://mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=54567

Also, I recommend going on Google Book Search, typing in whatever words are relevant to you (like "pagan," "witch," etc.) and seeing what kinds of results you get. Many of the results you can find there will let you read most of a book (though a few pages might be removed for copyright reasons). It's at least a useful way to check out any books and see if you might like to buy them later.
    Let's see.

I'll give a little back story that might help. I grew up in the LDS Church (Mormon) and still am a member, but I'm exploring my spirituality. I've always been interested in Paganism and Buddhism. In Paganism, my interests have always lied with Celtic pantheons and ideas, but sometimes I like hearing about other pantheons and ideas. The Goddess is something that interests me as well, and I'm defintley theistic.

I'm just really trying to find my way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    (My sisters shop)

People are of different spiritual temperaments and therefore will approach Deity in different ways

I always encourage newbies to read Scott Cunningham. Yes, his books are geared towards Wicca, but a lot of the information crosses over just fine. Another book that I love that may interest you is 365 Goddesses by Patricia Telesco. It will give you a slight exposure to many goddesses. I was LDS for 11 years, and if you ever want to discuss this vs that kind of stuff, feel free to PM me.
    If you're looking for a pissing match, please look elsewhere. I know what I can do, and don't need to defend it, or be competitive about it. I don't enjoy conflict, so please choose someone who does. Sincere questions are, of course, welcome. Blessed be.

I have a blog now at LiveJournal. It's uncut raw emotion, so proceed with caution, if that sort of thing bothers you.

Have you ever been in a battle of wits, only to realize that your opponent was unarmed?

The only person who has to like you is the one you see in the mirror every day.
    Ironically, if she does, others will, too.

I would definitely try The Earth Path by Starhawk. I would also invest in Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary Practitioner and Living Wicca by Scott Cunningham, even if you aren't interested in Wicca as a path.

Also, with regards to choosing a path, check out the archived COT class here. It was never finished but there is some fantastic information to get you started. There are some good articles at witchvox written about different traditions. I would also subscribe to witchvox and read articles...they post new ones each Sunday. Usually make for a good read.

Something I have trouble remembering as I find my path is not to take what I read as gospel. It's ok to pull different ideas from different sources, and to not agree with every word in a book. As a former Christian, I had (and still have) a lot of trouble with this concept.

Welcome to MW!
    -little owl[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]