Thread: Past Spiritual Experiences

is offline Breathe deep, seek peace.

Past Spiritual Experiences

This is for the atheists who had some sort of spiritual beliefs before they turned atheistic.

There are probably times in your past that you had some sort of religious or spiritual experience when you were a believer. How do you, as an atheist, view those experiences now? Do you think you were just naive about believing the experiences were done by a higher power? Do you believe there's actually another force (non-spiritual) out there? Do you think you're better off now that you don't worry about having those experiences?

I'm just curious about how ya'll view your past. I hope that made sense.
    Last edited by Bix; June 2nd, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post
    This is for the atheists who had some sort of spiritual beliefs before they turned atheistic.

There are probably times in your past that you had some sort of religious or spiritual experience when you were a believer. How do you, as an atheist, view those experiences now? Do you think you were just naive about believing the experiences were done by a higher power? Do you believe there's actually another force (non-spiritual) out there? Do you think you're better off now that you don't worry about having those experiences?

In my case, there is only one I have trouble validating, the rest are easily explained.

One night many a year ago (12 to 13 years ago) I was drifting in and out of sleep -- a common situation for me as I had some serious insomnia based on previous experiences once believed to be spiritual in nature -- for about an hour or two... then suddenly I was on the other side of my bedroom, crashing into the wall some 2 to 3 metres away. It felt like I was flung from my bed.

Now there are a few explanations for this event - I'm a prolific sleep walker (as my wife can testify to) and experience(d) sleep paralysis... these phenomena mixed with half remembered myoclonic twitch and a good does of teenage cognitive bias and a possible explanation emerges.

But I'm not sure, and probably will never be sure.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

is offline Breathe deep, seek peace.
    What are you thought processes on trying to explain that one experience? Knowing you, you probably looked up a lot of scientific data to try and explained what happened. Since you can't explain it, how does your skeptical mind view that experience? Just an anomaly that you don't worry about?

You mentioned that the rest of your experiences were easily explained...so how did you explain them?

Thanks for the feedback.

Ive had a few experiences that I cant explain.

Without going into detail of all of them (re occuring dreams, different type of feelings) I think there is a lot yet to be explained about the universe and the human mind to I just dont believe there is any god behind those experiences or occurances.

What does god have to do with it? Why stop at god or even start with god as an explanation? God is an expression of ourself put into an explanation of the universe. We see how we create and manipulate objects and project that onto something that must have created and is manipulating the universe. I certianly cant explain everything that happens that may seem "out of the ordinary" but I think its unreasonable to explain it in a way that is basically a projection of our own ego.
    You will always do what you think, if you think you cannot change because that is always who you were - that is always who you will be. If you think you decide who you are despite what you have done in the past, and can decide who you are today you will. Do not chain yourself to the past or the future, but what you can decide in the present.

Quote Originally Posted by Bix View Post

I am still the same spiritualist I have always been!!!
    I just don't believe in deity but my belief in spirit and other non-physical existences is as strong as ever!

My experiences were mostly related to what it is commonly called as "out of body experiences" aswell as "lucid dreaming" and "sleep paralysis". I would always relate to the paranormal every episode of this kind, that would happen to me. I became even a little bit obsessed with what I saw or heard. Then with time and research I realized it was more of a normal psychological phenomena than anything else. Those things still happen to me but I try to enjoy the experiences and not be so afraid anymore.

Probably from my young age and inexperience I always tried to justify with the paranormal most of the "abnormal" situations that would occur. Now I face everything with scepticism and try to find a normal/scientific explanation for what happens before I start thinking about anything else.
    «The myth is the Nothing which is everything» - Fernando Pessoa

Quote Originally Posted by Silverfangs View Post
    My experiences were mostly related to what it is commonly called as "out of body experiences" aswell as "lucid dreaming" and "sleep paralysis". I would always relate to the paranormal every episode of this kind, that would happen to me. I became even a little bit obsessed with what I saw or heard. Then with time and research I realized it was more of a normal psychological phenomena than anything else. Those things still happen to me but I try to enjoy the experiences and not be so afraid anymore.

Probably from my young age and inexperience I always tried to justify with the paranormal most of the "abnormal" situations that would occur. Now I face everything with scepticism and try to find a normal/scientific explanation for what happens before I start thinking about anything else.
    Sounds like me. I've never had any real faith in a higher being, or psychic/paranormal phenomena, but I've spent years essentially trying to - learning everything I could about magic, paganism, etc in the process, but ultimately concluding that I didn't "believe" a whit of it, and that belief in something that does not exist is, frankly, ridiculous. What it is I'm really searching for now, I think, is a way to connect more creatively, intensely, thoughtfully, and purposefully with the world around me. And to keep learning about witchcraft, divination, etc, but only out of interest now.

Ive had a few experiences, that I can not explain. I do not believe it had anything to do with deity, but I still believe in a spirit world.

1) Going down the road one night my mother and I were looking at these shooting stars, I looked back at the road and there was a curve,for some reason I threw my hands up, but the car guided itself around the curve any way? Ghost of the area? angel? spirit guardian? Cant prove any of those theories.

2) When I was 16 the house was on fire and I was still asleep, and I heard my mother call out to me to wake up. I woke up wondered why the bedroom door was closed,went to open it and I seen the house was on fire. I then realized my mother was at work? At the time I thought it might have been an angel, I'm not Catholic or I would have assumed it was Mary. A couple years later I began intense Bible studies and attending with different church's for over a decade, until I came to realize that wasn't the answer.

3) I witnessed a male "spirit/alien/whatever" speak through a woman, when she was asleep(yes really). I asked it a few questions, like who it was, but all they said was "You know who it is", guess it didn't realize I wasn't psychic or whatever, lol. And no I don't do drugs so I wasn't hallucinating, nor was I on medications or alcohol.

4) Been in several car incidents that was not of my fault and near natural disasters(hurricanes,earthquake,tornado) and never got a scratch.

So if a deity does exist and has a plan for me as some would say. WTF is it? Because I have been the type my whole life to try and prove stuff, before I just accept this or that. Thats what led me away from the Abrahamic faiths, lol.
    Last edited by Kern; April 4th, 2011 at 07:56 AM.

"But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."-Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782

My Beliefs

If I look back on prior experiences with "gods" (aspecting in particular) and am completely honest with myself, I was always aware, even in the moment, that that god-self came from within. Theists might argue that my saying this now is atheist-me trying to rationalize away true connection with deity, but I firmly believe that the prior view of the experiences (i.e. that they were the presence of an external divine) was me attempting to force myself to believe something I never did.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"