Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Lost colony of Roanoke

There is also a possibility that a hurricane could've wiped them out too? I'm not sure but it seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by CinnamonFaerie View Post
    What are your theories on this? How does an entire group of people vanish without a trace and without some paranormal explanation?
    They went to the nearby Croatoan Island; hell, they carved the name of it in a tree near their settlement in Roanoke. When John White found Roanoke deserted, big storms prevented him from conducting a search for the colonists. He left for England, and the colonists likely died of starvation, disease, or Indian attack, or were assimilated into local Indian tribes.

What if the colony was just a legend coming from local folklore?
    ......with liberty and justice for all;
    For all means for all without exceptions!

What is more valuable than liberty? Nothing, not even my own life. As without liberty, is life really worth living?

"those who would give up a little liberty, to gain a little security, deserve neither, and will lose both." -Benjamin Franklin

"Don't Tread on Me" - Forgot

I remember being really interested in the whole thing, and it still piques my interest.
    Like others are saying, they probably just up and left because of poor conditions. I got a book when I went and visited the former colony two years ago that documents a woman's investigations on Virginia Dare. Granted it's pretty much just a bunch of speculation, but it is interesting. When I was down there I know they said they had found remains of the colony in the water surrounding the site, but I haven't looked to see if they've started investigating those.

Quote Originally Posted by ninurta2008 View Post
    What if the colony was just a legend coming from local folklore?
    That makes absolutely no sense.

If every human settlement left clear, obvious, easy to find traces of its existence centuries later, archaeologists wouldn't need college degrees to know their business. Especially human settlements in conditions not conducive to material preservation, like swamps and dense woodland. I see absolutely no need for a paranormal explanation for why a small group of people thousands of miles from home died and disappeared without a material trace.
    JFGI

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post
    They went to the nearby Croatoan Island; hell, they carved the name of it in a tree near their settlement in Roanoke. When John White found Roanoke deserted, big storms prevented him from conducting a search for the colonists. He left for England, and the colonists likely died of starvation, disease, or Indian attack, or were assimilated into local Indian tribes.
    This. Croatoan is on the map. It is the home of the *only* tribe that was friendly with the colonists.

The Spanish Armada kept them from returning in good time. Then after the storms, they meant to come back, however, Queen Elizabeth was out and King James was IN. Sir Walter Raleigh was executed, and therefore, couldn't send anyone to rescue his colonists. King James didn't want to find them, he wanted his colony to get the credit.

Politics.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    If every human settlement left clear, obvious, easy to find traces of its existence centuries later, archaeologists wouldn't need college degrees to know their business. Especially human settlements in conditions not conducive to material preservation, like swamps and dense woodland. I see absolutely no need for a paranormal explanation for why a small group of people thousands of miles from home died and disappeared without a material trace.
    Indeed.

I have some pretty solid work-experience that makes me qualified on this particular 'mystery' ^_~

There was a play written in the 50's. It is currently the longest running outdoor theater production in America. It performs on Roanoke Island. It has been revised several times, and is currently a bit more historically accurate (only a bit...), however, the original version ends with a "They disappeared without a trace!" and it was a great crowed-draw. History books did not say anything about a "Mysterious mystery vanish" until after the play's production.

The play, and the story it tells, is a really big deal to the locals.

Politics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2