Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth

Your Ancestral Heritage

i wasn't sure if this was the forum to post this thread in, so if it isn't, feel free to move it!

I've always loved to think about the areas my ancestors may have lived around and how their lives may have been. From what i can glean from some of the surnames in my family, my ancestors seemed to have come predominately from areas around Germany, England, Scotland, France and the Netherlands.

What about you?
    Last edited by MoonBreath; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:33 PM.

Mine came from Italy and Scotland. I'm 1/2 Italian, part Irish, Scottish, and Native American.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth
    Dark Solace: Thanks for the response! there is a possibility that i might have some Native American blood in my background as well. According to my grandma on my mom's side, one of her relatives traded in a pony for a Cherokee woman. This is what she was told, but i'm not entirely sure if the story is true or not! lol!

i'm not really sure, actually. based on what my name is likely to be, I expect there's probably some Irish and perhaps Norman, although that may just be wishful thinking based on a wish to be slightly more exciting.
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^

:

Pure German on the maternal side, English and Lakota on the paternal.

On my mother's side I am Czech and Hungarian. On my dad's side we have been here since the 1600's and could be anything. Mostly we are Irish, Scottish, French, English and German.

I am more interested in the Slavic side of the family merely because I didn't know anything about that side if the family growing up. The Celtic thing just doesn't draw me.

(Thanks Flaire!)

From the research I've done, my ancestry is pretty much English for a long way back, although my paternal great-grandparents were Irish. On my mum's side it looks as though one branch of my family lived in the county I was born in for at least 500 years, which I'm kind of proud about. Their last name is apparently Dutch in origin. Another surname on my mum's side is quite unusual, and supposedly originated from nobility in the Middle Ages... but I can't prove a connection lol.

I am a bit of a mutt. I am mostly Irish but I tend not to look it because I am also Italian and 1/4 Cape Verdian. If you go back a little further I have some French and Spanish in me. Culturally I tend to identify with the Italian side because it is the branch of the family that I was raised with.

Lost sheep slightly touched on it but I think being in europe (or maybe its just trad countries like Ireland) we have a slightly more varied view on heritage that you might find interesting. For instance just because your family name exists in Ireland doesnt mean having an Irish Genetic Ancestry or that the name originates in Ireland. European countries have never existed in Isolation and have always mixed genetically and culturally and the finer points to the history of family names illustrates it.

On my fathers side Im all Irish so I'll leave them aside but on my mothers side my Grandad is an Ellis an Anglo Saxon name and my Granny a FitzGerald. Both names have been in Ireland for centuries but they dont originate in Ireland. The FitzGerald side of my family are Anglo-Norman invaders coming to Ireland along with the Crusader Ellis' in the 13th century. Anglo Normans were Norse Vikings that colonised France, Moving from there to Britain and from there to Ireland. So Genetically and only through that Anglo Norman influence I have Norse, French, English and Welsh aswell as Irish. I think thats fairly interesting because any name with a Fitz or a De at the start is Anglo Norman and a few besides not to mention the early Anglo Saxon names that prolific in Ireland even before the plantation.

It also has implications for my heritage in Ireland. Anglo Norman and Old English families were still recignised as distinct from the native families in the 20th century. For instance my grandfather was refused the right to marry his first wife by her family on the grounds she was a Brehony, a Traditional Irish name, and he as an Ellis was foreign. He was considered to have a different and incompatable heritage!

I would imagine the same is fairly true of other european countries and its worth consideration if youve got a real interest in tracking heritage through your family name. Give the history of the family name a good looking over and you might find your ancestor in the Netherlands has a separate culture within the netherlands and originated from somewhere else in europe if not from another continent altogether.

EDIT: Family Heraldry is another thing again -

This is the heraldry for the Irish branch of the Ellis family. The seashells on the heraldry mean the Irish Ellis' decend from Crusaders who on their return from the holy land distinguished themselves by going on Pilgrimage to Santiago Di Compostella in Spain before returning home.

I love family names and their history!
    Last edited by Nuadu; June 23rd, 2009 at 12:40 PM.

Let's see... My heritage is mostly German with some Scottish, French and First Nations (Mi'kMaq).

My husband's is German, Russian and a tiny bit of English (I think). However, his father was born in Austria and immigrated to Canada at the age of 3 so there isn't a lot we know about that side of the family, his grandparents have passed and Dad's not one to talk about his family.
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast