Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    So I'm screwing around on Ancestry.com one day, and all this stuff comes up pre-1066 that's supposedly the lineage associated with him pre-1066...going all the way back to the Roman Empire...

Hey!

Someone on my mom's side did an ancestry that takes our family line all the way back to the Emperor Tiberius and Mark Anthony. They trace us back through John/Alexander Hamilton (many alternating generations of those names, not directly from the first Treasurer of the USA, but his brother). We go through some minor royalty in Scotland, back through a long list of the Kings of France.

Emperor Tiberius supposedly gave his daughter to the King of Britain as part of a truce... though wikipedia calls this king a mythological figure...
    Tobias

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its labourers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children.

-Dwight D Eisenhower

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Hey!

Someone on my mom's side did an ancestry that takes our family line all the way back to the Emperor Tiberius and Mark Anthony. They trace us back through John/Alexander Hamilton (many alternating generations of those names, not directly from the first Treasurer of the USA, but his brother). We go through some minor royalty in Scotland, back through a long list of the Kings of France.

Emperor Tiberius supposedly gave his daughter to the King of Britain as part of a truce... though wikipedia calls this king a mythological figure...
    So, Tobias, you're a Myth !.

Can I just ask a question, and sorry if it's OT, but, do genelogical records go back that far, like to the Roman Empire, or even before that?, I didn't know records went back that far (it makes me wonder how far I could trace my family back too).

They only go back that far if you're very important royalty in a few parts of the planet.

Well, I'm Irish, German, Polish, Danish, and possibly Welsh or Scottish. One of my ancestors left from edinbough (he was listed as Irish, but maps say eidinburgh is in scottland. I talked to some people fro Britian who told me his name (Hugh FWIW) is actually Welsh.) I'm a northern european living in america. Meh, hopefully eventually all family lines will cross rendering the whole race thing even more rediculous than it already is.

Irish, Scottish, German. Possibly Native American, but we can't verify it because of some illegitimate folks on my mom's side.
    The possibilities are endless.

I am Italian, Irish, German, Potowatomi, and Cherokee. It makes for... uh... interesting genetics.
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

lol, I forgot to mention that the native american races in my ancestry hated eachother around when they had my great-great grandfather, which eventually resulted in my grandmother, and my grandpa is pure Irish. My dad's side of the family, near as I can tell have always been german, too.
    His:

Mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post
    They only go back that far if you're very important royalty in a few parts of the planet.
    Thanks for telling me, so, I guess us mere mortals don't get family trees that go back that long!.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Iulia Regilia View Post
    Meh, hopefully eventually all family lines will cross rendering the whole race thing even more rediculous than it already is.
    True, I've got blood from many different cultures - England, Ireland, Iraq, Spain, Turkish, apparantly, some Russian, it wouldn't surprise me if I have more.

is offline distracted by shiny objects
    My most detailed record appears on my mother's side of the family... (i spent all day on ancestry dot com today)... and can trace myself back to Ireland, France, and the Choctaw Indian tribe (Kusha clan to be exact) with names and approx birth dates and places.... all the way back to 1612 in France
    I have been by BearDancing!

~**~Altar for the Beloved dead~**~

~**~Rip Grandpa- 11-23-1993~**~
    ~**~Rip Gramma- 11-09-1997~**~
    ~**~Rip Big Brother Clayton- 06-03-2002~**~
    ~**~Rip Momma- 02-03-2006~**~
    ~**~Rip Daddy- 09-02-2009~**~

Scottish, French, Irish, English and Swedish (in the very distant past). Mostly Scottish and English, however. I know on the English side my ancestors were somehow linked to York's nobility, but exactly how far back that extends I am unsure. I wouldn't expect it to be more than 500 years though, given my family owned land in the city, and the amount of times it has changed hands in British history (Romans, Celts, Danes, Anglo-Saxons, the Normans etc). On the Scottish side, well, my last name derives from a sept of Clan Fraser, so that's easy enough.
    "Polidori once asked Byron what, besides scribble verses, he could do better than Polidori himself. Byron icily replied: 'Three things. First, I can hit with a pistol the keyhole of that door. Secondly, I can swim across that river to yonder point. And thirdly, I can give you a damned good thrashing.'"

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast