Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

is offline My love is poured upon the Earth
    Thanks for all the responses!

Nuadu: You know, you make a very good point! i'm glad you mentioned that just because a surname is found in a certain country doesn't mean it neccesarily was oringally from there. I went back and read all of the information from some of the surnames i could remember from my family (i have some of them written down at home, but i don't have the paper with me). One of them (Cook) was found in England, but it said that it was Anglo-Saxon in origin. Another (Perry) was from England as well, but it came over with the Norman Conquest. I'm surprised i didn't realize all this sooner, considering how much i enjoy reading! lol! I think i've been out of school too long, summer break is affecting my ability to read things closely! lol!

I love learning about my family history too! I enjoy discovering the origins of a surname from my family tree ( and rediscovering their origins in my case! lol! ) and then learning about the area and culture from whence they came. By the way, i like your family crest! last christmas my mom ordered a replica of the Schnack family Crest for my dad
    Last edited by MoonBreath; June 23rd, 2009 at 04:30 PM.

Your right just because a name is from that country it doesn't mean that family has lived there from the start of time. Anyway that being said my family is from England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
    As I was walking all alane, I heard twa corbies making a mane, the tane unto the nither did day, What sall we gang and dine the day?

I am a mutt

Irish that we can trace- Paternal ( his mom)
    Polish and Norwiegan ( Maternal)

There is also some.. questionable history.. if I am Greek or German from my father's side. He was raised to think it was German, but history is showing Greek. Who knows.. like I said= Mutt, and all American
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

I was born and raised in north wales, but my families originally come from Yorkshire and Lancashire in England. However whats interesting is that our surname is an anglosaxon derivative of a Norse name Sven (Stimpson) is related to Stevenson, which is related again to Svenson. So it's likely that the Stimpson ancestors were Norse.

The thing with ancestors though is that if you go back far enough your people may not even be from england, or half of your family may derive from Celts, Normans, Anglo-Saxons and even Roman heritage. The UK is a huge melting pot of atleast 5 different ancient ethnicities. Its kind of cool to think.

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

From my mom's side of the family...they're mostly just straight-up Peruvian, but my grandfather had Spanish (as in, from Spain) and Arabic roots, interestingly enough. My mom also mentioned that she somehow had a couple in her blood-related family that were Chinese? Odd.

From my dad's, we have a good deal of English and Welsh, though my grandmother also had French and Native American (Cherokee) blood.

Those are all I actually know about, but I'm sure there are more things mixed in there.
    02-07-1943
    05-19-2009
    Papi - R.I.P.
    I love you. Always.

That's kinda like with my last name. My last name is DeSalle, but so many people think it's French. I'm pretty sure it's Italian because my dad's dad was from around Rome. Does anyone know a good site to search for where names and surnames originated?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    I have some of most of Europe. I am:
    English
    Irish
    Dutch
    German
    Scottish
    Native American (Wampanoag)
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

I think I'm just american.

my grandmother immigrated here from puerto-rico. and my mom was born here. she doesn't know who her father is.

my father is african-american, and I have his last name. there really isn't a way for me to trace it back to anything. It could have been english in origin or even french, as a lot of the slaves who were freed took on other surnames and things like that.

so even though I'm mostly puerto-rican, I look african-american.
    Christina Sparrow

previous MW usernames: VioletStarLizard - lil'BuddhistWich - SunflowerWriter

I am a sparrow, the smallest of songbirds...

My mother is half Ute, and the rest is just a mix of European heritage from England and Germany. At least, from what I can tell. She was adopted by a man whose parents immigrated here straight from Holland, so I consider myself part Dutch because of that.

My father's surname is an English spelling (sometimes pronounced differently by the French, of course) of an Anglo-Saxon surname, Ceolberht (something like that) so, I've got that and my father seems to think we are French somehow mixed into that, though I can't be sure how. He also mentioned some Spaniard blood and the other half of his family is English/Irish/Scottish.

Blinkie Maker

Live Journal| Twitter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you, Catiana, for the wonderful turtle montage! :D

I'm all Belgian, with two English ancestors... Technically, the Belgian tribe lived somewhere else in Europe. I have no idea what that makes me...

Avatar: prettyflamingo (LiveJournal)

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast