Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

My dad is Cuban, and mom is Nicaraguan.On my dad's side, from what I know, I have Spanish, French, and Chinese ancestry.

My mom is a mestiza (on both sides), with mostly Nicaraguan Native American heritage and some Spanish. My great grandma on her side was a "pure blood" Native American, although what nation or tribe I am descended from is forever lost to history. Strangely enough, plenty of traditions did survive and my mom tells me a lot of stories when she remembers.

My fathers side of the family arrived in Europe in 405 AD with Attilla the Huns Golden Hords. Our sir name means "free Hun". Mothers side is Celtic & a little Wyondot. I am also Welch, Irish, English & Saxon.

Dad's side: Germanic, dating back to Prussian and Silesia. Mother's maiden means Cherry Tree (Kirschenbaum). Father is Hungarian, dating back to Silesia, name means Deer (Hersh). I think there is some royal/noble blood, not like it particularly matters, but it is cool, because of what I've found in research.

Mom's side: Father: Lithuanian, last name lost because of Eilis Island Mother: Russian/Polish I suppose a lot of it depended on the day :3 lol.

I think that's it.
    Last edited by HiccupingBat; August 5th, 2009 at 07:37 PM.
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
    ~Marcus Aurelius

Foreman: I think your argument is specious.
    House: I think your tie is ugly.

[deviantART]
    [Friend said this video reminded her of me]

Quote Originally Posted by MoonBreath View Post
    i wasn't sure if this was the forum to post this thread in, so if it isn't, feel free to move it!

I've always loved to think about the areas my ancestors may have lived around and how their lives may have been. From what i can glean from some of the surnames in my family, my ancestors seemed to have come predominately from areas around Germany, England, Scotland, France and the Netherlands.

What about you?
    The nature of my ancestry is empowering for me personally.

Mundanely - my ancestry is primarily French. On my mother's side, I am German. I also have Scottish, Ukrainian, Norwegian and Native American ancestry.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ihr seht nach oben, wenn ihr nach Erhebung verlangt. Und ich sehe hinab, weil ich erhoben bin." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

My family is really into genealogy. Because of that I know I am German, English, Scottish, Irish, Spanish, Dutch, Swiss and Native American (Chumash and Sioux). I'm like a lot of other Americans; a mutt.
    "Live simply so that others may simply live." - Mahatma Gandhi

Funny this.

I've actually been trying to figure out what percentages of what I am. I was working on my mom's side, but then I got distracted and somehow wound up on a Charlemagne tangent.
    I'm learning the problem with this is my ancestors moved, a lot apparently. I had one line that I thought was Irish, but then I moved back a few generations to discover they moved there from Scotland. I have one ancestor who shows up as being from Ireland, but I'm pretty sure Llewellyn is a Welsh name.
    I have a lot of "unknowns." Hurray for lack of records.
    So far my mom's side contains: English, Irish, Scottish, probably Welsh, French, German, the Netherlands, and possibly Cherokee. I highly doubt the Cherokee though.

I haven't started on my dad's side, but I know it will be 50% unknown. My grandpa was adopted. Fun there. I do know a good chunk of my ancestors on that side are from England.

I think I am primarily English and German though.

Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by ~*Dark Solace*~ View Post
    That's kinda like with my last name. My last name is DeSalle, but so many people think it's French. I'm pretty sure it's Italian because my dad's dad was from around Rome. Does anyone know a good site to search for where names and surnames originated?
    http://www.ancestry.com/facts/DeSall...y-history.ashx

I can't believe I didn't think of using only surnames when trying to figure out how much of what I am. Duh.
    ... darn Smith ancestors. I have no clue where they're from.
    Last edited by Elistariel; August 6th, 2009 at 05:12 AM.

Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuadu View Post
    I think thats fairly interesting because any name with a Fitz or a De at the start is Anglo Norman...
    Yep. I'm a proud De Beauchamp and only use a pseudonym for writing because my wife is afraid of stalkers. I can trace my lineage to the Battle of Hastings. (Since my family was noble then, I like to joke that I can do my family history with Wikipedia...)

On my mother's side, I'm a Wallace, (which is possibly Norman as well, depending on what historian you're reading at the time...) which presents an interesting conundrum.

See, Guy de Beauchamp, my great great great great (...etc.) grandfather was at the Battle of Falkirk, and had this great idea of how to defeat William Wallace's Scottish army. (Essentially, this idea amounted to "sit back and shoot arrows at them from a distance"...but hey, this is medieval warfare, not Alexander the frickin' Great...)

So, it's very possible that one famous ancestor of mine contributed to the demise of another famous ancestor of mine. (*)

History is fun.

(*) Note: I have no idea if or how I might be related to William Wallace. This is purely conjecture on my part. I've hit a dead end in the geneology department when I try to research the Wallace name. I have the info from when my great-grandparents coming over from Scotland, but I can't find any specifics of what went on before then. It's just an amusing story.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    So, it's very possible that one famous ancestor of mine contributed to the demise of another famous ancestor of mine.
    Ah same here and all within Ireland. The Byrne territory on my fathers side overlapped with my Grandmothers people on my mothers side the Anglo Norman FitzGeralds. There was a long history of emnity there, so even if none of my ancestors were famous they could still have killed each other.

The same could be said for my grandfathers people on my mothers side, the Ellis judging by the toponymy in Co Wexford at the time of the 1798 rebellion the boarders were close. The Yeomenry fled a massacre at CarrigByrne and died at CastleEllis on their first march. Even if at that stage in history they were on the same side territorial and cultural differences more then likely pitted them as enemies.

Not unjustifiably either, the masscre at CarrigByrne saw a barn packed with men women and children set on fire. It was so packed that after the building burned away the charred corpses were so tightly packed they were still standing. Even 200 years after the Sept was destroyed the Byrnes were not temperate people. I would say Feckin evil in that case

is offline I was not born under a rhyming planet.
    I'm Swedish, Finnish, Swedish, Swedish Swedish and a minute drop of Gypsy waaaaaaaaaay back somewhere in my family tree.
    But yeah, mostly Swedish and Finnish with Swedish ancestors... all roads lead to Sweden when it comes to my ancestors.
    Damned "purebred" ickyness... I wish I had some more diversity, my ancestry sounds boring compared to everybody else.
    Previously known as Njorun Alma

"A mind of the calibre of mine cannot derive its nutriment from cows." - George Bernard Shaw

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast