Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 132

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by ~*Dark Solace*~ View Post
    That's kinda like with my last name. My last name is DeSalle, but so many people think it's French. I'm pretty sure it's Italian because my dad's dad was from around Rome. Does anyone know a good site to search for where names and surnames originated?
    According to this site, it's Old French, but there's also a town in Italy called La Salle... maybe de la Salle was gradually shortened to DeSalle? It isn't near Rome, though.


    Quote Originally Posted by Élistariel View Post
    ... darn Smith ancestors. I have no clue where they're from.
    Lol, my great-grandmother's maiden name was Smith so I can sympathise. Her first name was Florence, and there are sooo many women called Florence Smith in the 1920s.


  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Mini-Tortuga
    Age
    35
    Posts
    5,415
    Quote Originally Posted by spiral View Post
    According to this site, it's Old French, but there's also a town in Italy called La Salle... maybe de la Salle was gradually shortened to DeSalle? It isn't near Rome, though.




    Lol, my great-grandmother's maiden name was Smith so I can sympathise. Her first name was Florence, and there are sooo many women called Florence Smith in the 1920s.
    I can trace my Smith ancestors to Bradley Smith and Ann Jennings... from Georgia. Died 1816 and 1820, respectively. Very helpful, tell you what.

    And to Njorun Alma. I can relate, to an extent, to the purebred ickyness you speak of. I had heard stories of how I had Cherokee ancestors as well as African American slave ancestors. I did a DNA test, through ancestry by DNA. (The company went down a while back). It tests to see what percentages of IndoEuropean, SubSaharan African, Native American and East Asian you are. (Sometimes Native American showed up as East Asian).

    I wasn't expecting any major percentages. That was obvious just by looking in a mirror. What I wasn't expecting was 100% IndoEuropean.
    I don't know how accurate that test was or how far back in your ancestry it went, but it did match up with what documented research had told me.


    Freedom of speech means not only the freedom to say what you want, but letting others have the freedom to say what they want, regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my imaginary castle
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,240
    Quote Originally Posted by Élistariel View Post
    http://www.ancestry.com/facts/DeSall...y-history.ashx

    I can't believe I didn't think of using only surnames when trying to figure out how much of what I am. Duh.
    ... darn Smith ancestors. I have no clue where they're from.
    That's interesting. I thouight I'd look mine up.

    Scottish and English: from a Middle English personal name, , from Old French the usual French form of Latin , which is the source of both Jacob and James. As a family name in Britain, this is almost exclusively Scottish.
    (Smilies inserted in place of actual name, since I prefer to be mysterious.)
    I've learned something today, see.
    ~ Light up, light up, ~
    ~ As if you have a choice ~
    ~ Even if you cannot hear my voice, ~
    ~ I'll be right beside you dear. ~

    ^ Thanks to GEBS for my little friend here ^


    :

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    33
    Posts
    2,273
    According to my grandma on my mom's side, one of her relatives traded in a pony for a Cherokee woman. This is what she was told, but i'm not entirely sure if the story is true or not! lol!
    Yeah, a bit of skepticism on that one is probably healthy. The "my great-great-grandmother was Cherokee" story is a running joke in a lot of the Indian circles I'm familiar with. Note that it's almost NEVER "my great-great-grandFATHER was Cherokee". It's because the Cherokee were considered more civilized than most other tribes, so in the 19th and early 20th century if you wanted a claim to land but didn't want to degrade your social standing too badly, you invented a female Cherokee ancestor.

    Actually, I'm shocked to see that most of the responses in this thread that have mentioned Indigenous blood haven't mentioned Cherokee. And not even one Cherokee Princess.:P

    As regards the point someone made about names not necessarily reflecting nationality, my dad's side is a good example. I have a German surname through the side of my family that emigrated from Spain a few decades ago because at some point along the male line a German moved to Spain (I THINK it was my great-great-great grandfather, but that's only a guess given the probability of retaining the name generation after generation, the fact that I know it wasn't my grandfather or great-grandfather, and the fact that my great-grandfather wasn't a German-speaker to the best of my knowledge). Unfortunately, while it's a very uncommon name which might increase historical visibility, it also doesn't appear to have been a noble name, so there's basically nothing out there on the German-Spanish line beyond the memories of my great-grandparents. The Spanish-Spanish side, though, is pretty easy, being Estrada from the Asturian creation.

    Mom's side is a waste of time in terms of digging back. Polish and German names replaced with English ones upon arrival at some unknown point in the 19th century, and no attempt in the interim to keep records or oral history beyond "German and Polish".

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,588
    Quote Originally Posted by Élistariel View Post
    I had heard stories of how I had Cherokee ancestors as well as African American slave ancestors. I did a DNA test, through ancestry by DNA. (The company went down a while back). It tests to see what percentages of IndoEuropean, SubSaharan African, Native American and East Asian you are. (Sometimes Native American showed up as East Asian).

    I wasn't expecting any major percentages. That was obvious just by looking in a mirror. What I wasn't expecting was 100% IndoEuropean.

    Not surprising to me. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in this country has some kind of apocryphal Native American ancestor. We're so ashamed of the things some of our people did in the last few centuries, that we want to pretend that we're actually the victims, and not the oppressors. It's easy to see the Native Americans as "virtuous savages," because, by and large, we don't know s--- about them. They're exotic and interesting, and we don't know anything bad about them, so we want to _be_ them.

    --------The following is not written to anyone specific-------

    Just having an ancestor with black hair and high cheekbones does _not_ make you Native American, and even if your great great great great great grandmother really was "100% Cherokee!" just like your familial legend states...why would you ignore the 99.9% of Indo-European ancestry to focus on a single individual in your family tree?

    There's nothing to be ashamed of in being English, Irish, German, Scottish, French, Italian, etc. Every culture has its heroes and villains. Same goes for just viewing yourself as "American" or "Southerner."

    I'm a proud Southerner myself, but that doesn't mean that I have to fly a Confederate Flag and pine for the return of slavery.

    /rant

    Now I'll just go have a mint julep and sit on my pawch. (*)


    _______________________________________________

    (*) That was a joke. I'm still as straight-edge as I've always been.
    ________________________________________________________________________

    Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)



  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Arizona
    Age
    54
    Posts
    8,300
    I'm American. My ancestors fought in the American Revolution.
    There Is No Such Thing As Too Many Cats
    My Cats Are The Boss Of Me



  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Flanders
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,766
    I recently discovered (he discovered me actually) people that share my last name in Paraguay. They know a lot about their ancestors but so far, no match...

    Avatar: prettyflamingo (LiveJournal)

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    37
    Posts
    3,847
    English, Irish, Scottish, French, German, possibly Finnish and/or Norwegian, possibly Native American.

    Given that some of my French ancestors were from the Alsace Lorraine region of France, it's debatable whether at the time they would have been considered French or German.

    Supposedly we have pirates in our family tree.

    And my grandpa on my mom's side looked remarkably like Abraham Lincoln, right down to one side of his face being out of proportion with the other... When I was little I wondered why I'd see statues of my grandpa everywhere...


    "Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
    Arthur Dent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

    Mass hysteria and mass complacency are flip sides of the same coin. Never panic, always think for yourself. Question all information, even from those individuals and sources you hold most cherished, for in those instances, complacency and hysteria alike become all too easy. All information either comes from humans or is filtered through the human mind (our own or another's) and thus subject to human faults no matter if it comes from a scientist or a messiah. Question it. And constantly question yourself.

    Neither ravens nor wolves like to be gilt in silver.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonBreath View Post
    Dark Solace: Thanks for the response! there is a possibility that i might have some Native American blood in my background as well. According to my grandma on my mom's side, one of her relatives traded in a pony for a Cherokee woman. This is what she was told, but i'm not entirely sure if the story is true or not! lol!
    Yea, our family story was that a young woman was left on my great, great grandfathers' doorstep after he gave food and a newly bagged deer to a group passing by his house. While my maternal grandmother had some native features, she was extremely caucasian. I have found out that it may have come from the Welsh side as well, though.
    So, without that, it is German, Welsh and English.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    in my own little world
    Posts
    3,837
    Quote Originally Posted by BryonMorrigan View Post
    Not surprising to me. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry in this country has some kind of apocryphal Native American ancestor. We're so ashamed of the things some of our people did in the last few centuries, that we want to pretend that we're actually the victims, and not the oppressors. It's easy to see the Native Americans as "virtuous savages," because, by and large, we don't know s--- about them. They're exotic and interesting, and we don't know anything bad about them, so we want to _be_ them.

    --------The following is not written to anyone specific-------

    Just having an ancestor with black hair and high cheekbones does _not_ make you Native American, and even if your great great great great great grandmother really was "100% Cherokee!" just like your familial legend states...why would you ignore the 99.9% of Indo-European ancestry to focus on a single individual in your family tree?

    There's nothing to be ashamed of in being English, Irish, German, Scottish, French, Italian, etc. Every culture has its heroes and villains. Same goes for just viewing yourself as "American" or "Southerner."

    I'm a proud Southerner myself, but that doesn't mean that I have to fly a Confederate Flag and pine for the return of slavery.

    /rant

    Now I'll just go have a mint julep and sit on my pawch. (*)


    _______________________________________________

    (*) That was a joke. I'm still as straight-edge as I've always been.
    Right?

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •