Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Ancestral Heritage

Scottish, with enough Ashkenazi Jew to show up on DNA tests, but Scottish as far back as I can trace it...(which is 1300s-1400s in all cases, one line to the 700s.)

How is that even possible? You managed to trace your lineage back 1300 years in a society that's been mostly illiterate and notoriously fragmented/isolated for most of that time?
    Last edited by Tiberias; February 17th, 2010 at 02:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post

How is that even possible? You managed to trace your lineage back 1300 years in a society that's been mostly illiterate and notoriously fragmented/isolated for most of that time?
    I find this perplexing, as well. The furthest back I can reliably trace my own family name (McElroy) is the 1600s, and because there was a locally famous musician in the family, and even then, I'm only 85% sure we're directly related. My mother's side was largely farmers from her father and factory workers from her mum, and so most of them had been functionally illiterate due to circumstances. My mother's mother claimed that her father was the first acknowledged person by her family who could read The London Times. There are few records on either side, so tracing the family is a task.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungSoulRebel View Post
    I find this perplexing, as well. The furthest back I can reliably trace my own family name (McElroy) is the 1600s, and because there was a locally famous musician in the family, and even then, I'm only 85% sure we're directly related. My mother's side was largely farmers from her father and factory workers from her mum, and so most of them had been functionally illiterate due to circumstances. My mother's mother claimed that her father was the first acknowledged person by her family who could read The London Times. There are few records on either side, so tracing the family is a task.
    Unfortunately, my guess (as I insinuated before) was that it was due to being overly trusting of information entered into Ancestry.com.For example , I know that my earliest traceable direct lineage is to Hugh de Beauchamp, a knight in William's army in 1066. AFAIK, he just kinda "appears" in the historical records at that point, and there are differing theories as to where the Beauchamp family came from prior to that.

So I'm screwing around on Ancestry.com one day, and all this stuff comes up pre-1066 that's supposedly the lineage associated with him pre-1066...going all the way back to the Roman Empire, and including people like Cormac MacArt and other possibly legendary figures. Sorry, but I doubt their commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Unfortunately, since the way that Ancestry.com has become so easily edited by incompetent fools, its accuracy is falling below Wikipedia standards.

Buy my latest book, ACHERON, as an exclusive audiobook from Audible.com now!
    (Or sign up for a 30-day trial of Audible.com, and get it for free!)

We can trace one line of my ancestry to Kenneth MacAlpin I, the king of the Picts/Alba in general(Generally accepted as the first king of the Scots). Alpin was his father, but we've been unable to find any good info on him other than that he was his father(and we have none ourselves), but he lived in the 700s. Given that Scotland was somewhat of a small nation, and we're descended from the younger branches, it's not that strange to be related to him and the Irish kings. Long story short, we're very distantly related to that MacBeth(He had some daughters!), who was related to him. We can trace it back, and not thru ancestry.com. Thru what our ancestors wrote, and said, and generally up until the 1600s or so, some historical records that support our points. Most lines die out around the time when clans started being recorded, because often it's hard to trace the lineage of the first chieftains. Tracing my family isn't too hard, as we kept good records, but we're often from the younger branches(hence why I'm not wealthy!), and that gets tricky at times in terms of verifying what our family says. When we've found records, they have yet to dispute our family records, so we take them as accurate. We have letters that people in our family wrote dating from the 1600s on, and various small tidbits, so I'm not sure when the first literate person popped up.

German and Ojibwe... I'm not sure how far back our ancestry has been traced, but my mom has pages upon pages of genealogy.

I had my father's DNA run since there were a lot of family myths surrounding him and we wanted to see what was true and what was crap.

So... he's supposed to be Polish and German(with maybe Gypsy and Ashkenazi int there) on his father's side and Lakota Sioux and Scots on his mother's side.

so... on his father's side, turns out most of his male genes are associated with a group called the Kurgi (yes, like from highlander, though in real life we more like this than like this.) They were around the Black Sea between 300-500BC. He also shares genes with a lot of Askenazi Jews, Romni, as well as a huge number of people around the north pole, from Norweigens, Siberians to Inuit in Greenland...(this explains finally why I look like an Inuit,, lol)

So those two myths were true, we are Jews and gypsys.... I don't know where, how or why..... all lost in the big jump from Cyrillic to Roman letters we made at the end of the last century, and that's assuming a lot about my family's literacy leave pre 1850 which was likely as not.. 'nil'

his mother's side all comes from since God was a kid the north sea isalnds and Brittany. I assume that means Celt Celt Celt.

The trouble with running a man's DNA to know about his mother though is that its mDNA. It only tells us about my grandmother's maternal line, nothing about her father. We just found a picture of her father, and now we see that the whole Lakota thing is still open and up in the air, because her father REALLY looks it. Family legend is that his mother was full blood, his father was a Scot. Dad came back from out west with a wagon full of 'half breeds' and no one ever talked about or knew what happened to their mother. Alas, my paternal great grandfather died when my grandmother was about 8 years old so we know very little about his family.

My mother is German and Welsh. lol... she's easy.
    Last edited by Tanya; February 18th, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
    Mitakuye Oyasin

is offline ~stop right there, criminal scum
    Lessee....

My paternal grandfather came from Italy(Corato) in the '40's.
    Funny aside: his father was arrested in the '30's for being in a speakeasy with a woman whose name he "did not know"...purportedly doing...things...in NYC...heehee...he later married a famous tattooed lady, who I am not related to

Paternal grandmother: Not sure of original nationality, probably some sorta Northern European. English maybe?

Maternal great grandfather-Austrian(Bohemian).
    Maternal great grandmother- Irish (Tullinaglug, Co. Sligo.)

other maternal great grandparents-Irish and maybe German.

My great grandfather's sister's husband, who apparently liked to drink, is thought to have fled Ireland after shooting a mailman instead of the constable he, as a new member of the IRA, was supposedta kill. A bicycle and alcohol were involved, or so I've heard.

Register to be a potential bone marrow/stem cell donor!
    It's painless and free--and could save the life of someone with a blood disorder.

and in the wind, I hear those crows
    they will bring the spring, and take the cold away...

My mother was born and raised in Ramsgate, England. Most of her immediate and close family are in England. However, a recent geneaology (sp?) search shows that most of her family originated in Scotland and Ireland (which seems obvious, because she's a "ginger") and they mostly emmigrated to England over the last 200yrs. They were generally Celtic Pagans, and were converted to Anglican over the centuries (exact details unknown).

My Father's side, I only have knowledge of for about 6-7 generations back. His grandfather is from Germany, as is most of the generations from there, back. The majority of them were Jewish and immigrated to the U.S. around the time of W.W.I., making a decent living for themselves (my maiden name is Silverstein, and there are many prominent people with that surname, in the U.S.). The ones that didn't move to the U.S. mostly ended up as Holocaust victims or survivors. There is some Russian and Polish ancestors on this side as well.

My husband's family is Norwegian, on his dad's side and geneaology research claims that he is directly related to " Blackbeard " (his middle name is even blackbeard's first). If this is true, I think it's awesome. If you met my husband, you'd definitely believe it. The spelling of our last name was changed slightly during the time that all relatives of blackbeard were under threat of being hung as pirates.

His mother's side of the family is mostly Native American, but I don't know many details about that.

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiberias View Post

I used to work in a place that did these type of traces. Most of the earliest records went back to William the Conqueror in the 1000's.
    So tie me to a post and block my ears
    I can see widows and orphans through my tears
    I know my call despite my faults
    And despite my growing fears

But I will hold on hope
    And I won't let you choke
    On the noose around your neck

And I'll find strength in pain
    And I will change my ways
    I'll know my name as it's called again
    ~ Mumford and Sons (The Cave)

"I have been in Sorrow's kitchen and licked out all the pots." ~ Susan Straight
    enter the sanctum

German, Irish, Sioux, and Apache here. =o My family information is sortof hard for me to get to, and my family never told me much.
    His:

Mine:

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast