Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trouble with meditation

trouble with meditation

I've read some tips on meditation on different websites and I've been trying to practice them, but I'm having a little bit of trouble because I have A.D.D. and it makes my mind wander when I'm trying to relax, and I've also been having trouble doing breathing excersises because I have allergies. does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my meditation skills?

I've also tried praying to different deities while I meditate to see if I have any connection with them, so far I've tried praying to the norse god Odin, the egyptian god Set, and the Wiccan mother goddess, I've found I have a fairly good connection with all three of them, but I'm still having trouble choosing my exact path because I don't really feel like limiting myself to one type of occult practice for the rest of my life, maybe I could be an eclectic pagan or something like that.
    Last edited by lord_vampyr; June 26th, 2009 at 05:36 PM.

You've gotta keep trying. Even if now, you can only maintain a meditative state for 1 second, keep practicing. There is no wrong way to practice, just that you have to do it. It's just like physical exercise but building your spiritual muscles instead. You can't expect to become a body builder overnight. And you can't expect you'll be a master meditator overnight either. Be patient with yourself, and try journaling each time you try. Track what worked, what didn't, what sort of places your mind wandered to, and how much time you went before your mind started wandering again. Eventually you'll get yourself up to speed.

As far as the other questions. I think you'd be good to just let yourself be. You don't *need* to be working with any specific diety or path right now. Just get your practicing in, and eventually you'll be better at receiving those 'clues' as to what would be best for you. Good luck.

I have a couple of suggestions. And they're only suggestions, so go with what works for you.

For me, breathing is the key to meditation. When I started, I tried visualizations of all sorts, incense, oils, calling on guides for help, lots of things. It didn't "click" for me until I focused on breathing. Of course, that doesn't mean you have to breathe by a rigid count. In fact, I've known people to be distracted by this (often because they can't breathe that slowly and they're straining their breath). For me, it's almost always helpful to tune into my natural surroundings. I focus on natural sounds if I can: water or wind or a chorus of frogs or crickets. These are a natural shaman's drum. If it's still or I can't be outside, I try to pick ambient music that will establish a slow rhythm for breathing. The trick is to find something that creates a sonic landscape rather than specific melodies and harmonies - the music should help you listen to nothing, not itself.

This should be helpful (at least, I'm hoping). After that, yes, your attention will wander... whether or not you have A.D.H.D. Don't get upset or mad at yourself when this happens. When you notice that your mind has wondered, re-focus on meditating. I've had to do it hundreds, thousands of times, but just keep doing it because it really does get easier as you practice. And, at least at first, you may want a simpler focus than a deity. You might want to just try a color to keep re-focusing on... maybe blue for calm or purple for spirit or white for cleansing. Go with what feels right for you.

I also begin my meditation sessions by centering (re-affirming that I am here, in the moment, not focusing on past or future) and grounding (tapping into the energy of spirit as an anchor for my consciousness). The latter is often done by visualizing roots going down from your energy body into the earth.

Best of luck to you. Sometimes meditation can be frustrating in the short term, but it's well worth it in the long run.
    Blessings,
    P. Rex

My website: http://www.bookofspirals.com
    My blog: http://www.bookofspirals.com/blog
    An ezine I co-founded: http://spiraltree.weebly.com

here's a suggestion to keep you mind focused. maybe instead of trying to focus on one thing or piece of scenery you could move through it on your own "train" or "plane" or submarine or ship or something, that way it'll keep your mind from getting bored and wandering off? just a suggestion. or you could try meditation in movement, like dancing or sword play forms?
    Last edited by aluokaloo; June 26th, 2009 at 05:00 PM.
    Crying "cherry-picking!" with one breath and "diversity!" with the next doesn't work either.~brymble
    "Sometimes the Light at the End of the Tunnel is really a Cranky Dragon waiting to roast your ass!"

In Darkness I Know Myself

Close friends with: Yarrow Elfglow, Czechwoods, Rudas Starblaze, Stormbeard, Philosophia, The Woman Monster, Rick and Elise, Sacred Sin David19.....

I live on an incredible acreage in the Qu'Appelle Valley
    for me Scott said it alll.....for me the most important in breathing....you can start simply by breathing down to your belly rather than your chest.....make your own rythm what feels good for you...fast or sloww.....what ever is comfortable......with practice you can slow it down
    Enter Her World
    ~Jaqueline Frost touches the flowers~

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Dio View Post
    You've gotta keep trying. Even if now, you can only maintain a meditative state for 1 second, keep practicing. There is no wrong way to practice, just that you have to do it. It's just like physical exercise but building your spiritual muscles instead. You can't expect to become a body builder overnight. And you can't expect you'll be a master meditator overnight either. Be patient with yourself, and try journaling each time you try. Track what worked, what didn't, what sort of places your mind wandered to, and how much time you went before your mind started wandering again. Eventually you'll get yourself up to speed.

As far as the other questions. I think you'd be good to just let yourself be. You don't *need* to be working with any specific diety or path right now. Just get your practicing in, and eventually you'll be better at receiving those 'clues' as to what would be best for you. Good luck.
    I actually think I'd be comfortable having a diety to pray to though, because I used to pray to the christian god a lot back when I believed in him, but now I've completely renounced christianity and I'd like a new deity to pray to because I'm used to praying to something when I need help, I usually feel more comfortable praying to a specific deity than completely relying on myself when I need help.

but anyway, thanks for the advice, I've been practicing meditation and I can manage to enter a lucid state for a few seconds at a time, I'll keep working at it until I can stay relaxed for even longer.

Quote Originally Posted by lord_vampyr View Post
    I've read some tips on meditation on different websites and I've been trying to practice them, but I'm having a little bit of trouble because I have A.D.D. and it makes my mind wander when I'm trying to relax, and I've also been having trouble doing breathing excersises because I have allergies. does anyone have any tips on how I can improve my meditation skills?

I've also tried praying to different deities while I meditate to see if I have any connection with them, so far I've tried praying to the norse god Odin, the egyptian god Set, and the Wiccan mother goddess, I've found I have a fairly good connection with all three of them, but I'm still having trouble choosing my exact path because I don't really feel like limiting myself to one type of occult practice for the rest of my life, maybe I could be an eclectic pagan or something like that.

Well many of the benefits one receives from meditation come from simply trying. As cheesy as it sounds, most meditation is more about the journey than the destination. There are many different styles of meditation and your local public library likely has some books on the subject. If you find that clearing your mind is really tough right now, you may do better with guided visualizations which can help build up some of the mental discipline required for other types of meditation. Again, your local public library may have some on CD. If not, there are many CDs and mp3s available for purchase and some for free on web sites. There are also some free podcasts in the iTunes store that focus on guided visualizations and meditation techniques.
    If you really enjoy or want to pursue mind clearing style meditations, the best you can do is practice. Sit in a comfortable, quiet place where you won't be disturbed. Or lay down if that's better. Use pillows or rolled up towels to prop your legs or knees or head to make yourself comfortable. If you are too stuffed up to breath through your nose, breath through your mouth. That's never stopped me from having a good meditative experience Breath from the belly, expanding down and outward instead of from the chest. If you've ever sang or played wind instruments, you have probably been taught how to breath from the diaphragm. That's how you want to breath, pull the diaphragm down, allow the back and belly to expand. You may pick something to focus on - I like to focus on my heart beating and my pulse, some people like a word or phrase, others a visual image like a candle flame or numbers counting up or down. If you find your mind wandering, that's ok. It's part of the process. All you can do is acknowledge that your mind has wandered and the softly bring your mind back to the focus. Sometimes thinking of those errant thoughts as birds flying away or containing them in bubbles that float off help me. But don't worry or punish yourself, simply acknowledge that your mind is doing what minds do best - thinking. Eventually, with practice, you will find that your body relaxes more quickly and that your mind softens more easily. After time, your mind will wander a little less, bringing your attention back to your focus will be easier. But, like all things, it takes practice.

As far as connecting with deities - I find that praying by itself does little for me when attempting to establish a new relationship. I like to make offerings. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy but a little something that you bring to a god is often appreciated. Many cultures have a reciprocal understanding of hospitality - put simply, "a gift calls for a gift". By bringing an offering to a god you make a sacrifice. You make that gift sacred in the name of the deity and that can go very, very far in establishing a relationship with them. Usually I burn a candle or incense, or pour out oil or alcohol (if you are under age, please do not break the law to make offerings) to any entity I wish to contact. Sometimes I do it within the context of a larger ritual, sometimes within a simple devotional, sometimes the act itself is the devotional. Sometimes I leave it at that and go on with my day and other times I sit quietly and listen for any contact. Other times, I pull runes to see if my gift has been appreciated or if there is a message to be heard.
    Another good thing to keep in mind is that we are always growing and changing. If you want to spend a few months working with Odin you can. If you decide that it isn't working out for you and you'd rather pursue a relationship with Set, that's fine too. What you choose today is not written in stone and you may find that you go through a variety of different spiritual paths throughout your life. I know I have.
    Most importantly, have fun on your journey!
    Parallax Error

A shift in point of view.

I find I meditate best with something to listen to and something to look at. I usually light a candle, turn down the lights and play some soothing music. My mind is often all over the place and it takes a while to settle it down. The trick is to let the mind wandering be part of it but not focus on the fact the mind is wandering. You just gently bring it back to center.

(Thanks Flaire!)

Quote Originally Posted by aluokaloo View Post
    here's a suggestion to keep you mind focused. maybe instead of trying to focus on one thing or piece of scenery you could move through it on your own "train" or "plane" or submarine or ship or something, that way it'll keep your mind from getting bored and wandering off? just a suggestion. or you could try meditation in movement, like dancing or sword play forms?
    Active meditation works much better for me as well. I think that's true of a lot of folks with ADHD. It helps to keep one part of our mind busy with movement (walking, dancing, whatever) and that lets the other part of our minds shift into a different level. Not enough people mention active meditation when someone asks about problems with meditating. Thanks for bringing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by Raven Reed View Post
    I find I meditate best with something to listen to and something to look at. I usually light a candle, turn down the lights and play some soothing music. My mind is often all over the place and it takes a while to settle it down. The trick is to let the mind wandering be part of it but not focus on the fact the mind is wandering. You just gently bring it back to center.
    This is so true. Getting upset because your mind wandered a bit just makes it harder to get back to being quiet and letting Spirit speak within us. Just acknowledge that your mind wandered a bit and come back to being still and empty. That's when insight will come to fill the emptyness.

When I first started meditating, I was told to count. It would go something like this:

1, 2, 3, I wonder what I am having for dinner, CRAP, 1, 2, Did I turn off the water outside, ARGH, 1, 2, 3, 4, My nose itches am I allowed to scratch, #%#@$, 1,...1...

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    This is so true. Getting upset because your mind wandered a bit just makes it harder to get back to being quiet and letting Spirit speak within us. Just acknowledge that your mind wandered a bit and come back to being still and empty. That's when insight will come to fill the emptyness.

(Thanks Flaire!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast