Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mary Magdalene's Feast Day

Mary Magdalene's Feast Day

Are any of you doing anything special on July 22nd, for the Feast Day of Saint Mary Magdalene? As one of my favorite saints, I am taking the day off from work, and am going to make madeleines, and navettes, two sweets traditionally associated with her. (Yes, my celebrations involve a lot of food. Holidays in my family centered more about family togetherness, and the meal then the actual religious celebration, so it is my upbringing showing, but I digress.)
    I have music lists planned, (it has a lot of Tori Amos on it... I will post it as soon as I get it finalized...) and am probably going to recite the Office for her from the Monastic Diurnal Revised, the prayerbook of the Community of Saint Mary's. I may or may not spend some time making perfume or some other prayerful activity. Does anyone else have any plans?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

July 23rd...

Sirius celebration...

July 23rd : July 23rd is both the Sumerian and Egyptian New Years.

The "Dog Days" of summer begin on July 23rd when the star Sirius,
    in the Constellation of Orion, first rises from behind the sun.

There is a reason this is her day...just sayin'...

Quote Originally Posted by HerbGurl View Post
    Are any of you doing anything special on July 22nd, for the Feast Day of Saint Mary Magdalene? As one of my favorite saints, I am taking the day off from work, and am going to make madeleines, and navettes, two sweets traditionally associated with her. (Yes, my celebrations involve a lot of food. Holidays in my family centered more about family togetherness, and the meal then the actual religious celebration, so it is my upbringing showing, but I digress.)
    I have music lists planned, (it has a lot of Tori Amos on it... I will post it as soon as I get it finalized...) and am probably going to recite the Office for her from the Monastic Diurnal Revised, the prayerbook of the Community of Saint Mary's. I may or may not spend some time making perfume or some other prayerful activity. Does anyone else have any plans?
    Last edited by Shawn Blackwolf; July 5th, 2009 at 10:44 PM.

well, that day is (about) the new moon...maybe i'll include memory of her in whatever ritual i do that day/evening.
    btw, i had some chocolate madeleines in a spring equinox ritual this year...delicious!
    i may include her in a litany in a Lammas rite this year. (for Sabbats i like to do a litany of saints whose feast-days are near the sabbat)
    zionmystic.livejournal.com
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Blackwolf View Post
    July 23rd...

Sirius celebration...

July 23rd : July 23rd is both the Sumerian and Egyptian New Years.

The "Dog Days" of summer begin on July 23rd when the star Sirius,
    in the Constellation of Orion, first rises from behind the sun.

There is a reason this is her day...just sayin'...
    That is cool! I never knew that, and with Mary M's supposed connections with Egypt, and Babylon/Sumeria as a priestess, and I find that very cool…

Quote Originally Posted by zionwood View Post
    well, that day is (about) the new moon...maybe i'll include memory of her in whatever ritual i do that day/evening.
    btw, i had some chocolate madeleines in a spring equinox ritual this year...delicious!
    i may include her in a litany in a Lammas rite this year. (for Sabbats i like to do a litany of saints whose feast-days are near the sabbat)
    I like the idea of a litany of saints. Can you post it here?
    Oh, the chocolate madeleines sound delicious! The only types I have baked are lemon madeleines with lemon glaze, and chocolate chip madeleines dipped in melted chocolate or powdered sugar. (My mother likes the former, my coworkers have been begging for the latter ever since I made them for a goodbye party at work…) I think I have bookmarked every Madeleine recipe on the internet, I will have to post them in my next post.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

St. Margaret
    St. Mary Magdalene
    St. James
    St. Christopher
    St. Anne
    St. Martha
    St. Peter in chains
    St. Lawrence
    St. Clare
    St. Radegund
    St. Mary mother of Christ
    St. Philbert
    St. Aidan
    (& mb St. Mark)
    from here: http://zionmystic.livejournal.com/4458.html
    About my username: It's after a little wooded area i hang out in, near a church called Zion. Later i found out the word "Zionwood" may have political implications, but that wasn't my intent at all when i picked it.

I like your litany, Zionwood!
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

thanks!

So, did anyone do anything to celebrate Mary Magdalene's feast day yesterday? I had to work yesterday, so today I am making lemon madeleines, and having a little tea party this afternoon. I also said the Daily Office in honor of her, and am listening to a playlist that I made. Did anyone else do anything?
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

I have to work all day today, and I worked all day yesterday. But I'll probably do a small meditation when I get home from work (at 330 am. X_X)
    Even when your hope is gone, move along just to make it through the night.
    my blog

Accepting Tarot Requests

So what is everyone doing this year? I am pulling out all stops for my favorite saint, making Magdalenenstriezeln (St. Mary Magdalen Fingers) , and salad and sangria, as well as reciting the Office.
    Albert Einstein
    Tumblr
    My New Spiritual Journal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast