Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dedication Ritual

Dedication Ritual

Did you do one when you decided to become a Wiccan, or Witch? What was it like? In your opinion, does it need to be drawn out and complicated, or can it be as simple standing in the moonlight?

I bought a couple of different books on Wicca and Witchcraft. They both have rituals for the purpose of dedicating yourself to Wicca or Witchcraft. But one is long and complicated with lots of different tools and some things that seem hard to get (things that I just can't get right now), and the other is more like "Do what feels right for you, here's an example" and it's got a short verse that you can say out under the full moon.

But really, do you NEED to do a dedication ritual to become a Wiccan? Or Witch?

If anyone is curious, the books are "Wicca and Witchcraft for Idiots" (lol, I know, I know... But I had to start somewhere!) and the other is "Natural Witchery" by Ellen Dugan. I seem to lean more towards what she talks about, as she seems to have a simpler approach to things. I like simple.

I may have just answered my own question, but I'm still curious to hear other people's opinions. Thanks!

I've read a couple books and some resources on the Internet that said that it's better for someone else to initiate you into Wicca or becoming a Witch. That I don't quite get because I'm pretty sure it all works the same. I would like to find an initiation spell/ritual because my friend was going to initiate me and she hasn't, so I'm on my own for that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was under the impression that solitary witches didn't need to be initiated by another witch... Unless you are seeking to join a coven, which I am not. Are you seeking to join a coven?

Not really. I live in the middle of nowhere and the closest coven is around Harrisburg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

If you feel like a Witch/Wiccan and you don't want to do it, then don't... I never did it, and I was 16 when I decided that this was my path. But it never ever felt right for me to do such a ritual. I had already given my heart away.
    I must admit that I never felt the need to perform a ritual on my own. That never felt right. I quickly decided that if I ever wanted to dedicate myself, I would be in a proper coven, with a HPS and HP, because that is what Wicca is for me.

You can dedicate yourself, if you really want to, be making a small altar. Blow a kiss to the sky... Greet the morning sun with a simple wave... Bow to the moon... Water your plants and give them life... There are so many things to do that do not involve fixed texts and certain tools. Heck, I have had an altar for over 5 years now, and I still haven't got an athame. They'll cross your path eventually...

Avatar: prettyflamingo (LiveJournal)

Dedication and Initiation are two different things. Although the line between them has become blurred by the proliferation of misinformation in popular books and online.

Dedication means you dedicate yourself to the study of a particular thing (such as Witchcraft or Wicca).

Initiation generally means being initiated into an existing tradition or coven, kind of a membership ceremony with perks.

So - a self-dedication usually signifies that you are planning to study one path, religion, or philosophy in particular for a certain time (maybe a year and a day, maybe until you decide whether to abandon that path or make it your chosen life path. A self-initiation means you have made that decision and intend to devote yourself to a particular path, religion or philosophy.

If you are working by yourself, then read lots of examples and think about what you would like for your ceremony to be like. Grounding, centering, meditation are all good things to do during a self-dedication or a self-initiation. Declare to the Elements, the Gods, your Ancestors, and to yourself (any or all of those) what your intention is. Ask the Elements and the Gods and your Ancestors (any or all of those) to help and guide you. Be sure to thank them all when you finish.

Be sure and include some quiet time for the god and goddess to speak to you one-on-one.

Thank you, Lunacie. I was hoping for a bit of guidance in how to handle a ritual. I've never done one before. I'll have to come up with something thats right for me.
    And you who seek to know me, know that your seeking and yearning will avail you not, unless you know the mystery: for if that which you seek you find not within yourself, you will never find it without.

Quote Originally Posted by NamedForTheMoon View Post
    Thank you, Lunacie. I was hoping for a bit of guidance in how to handle a ritual. I've never done one before. I'll have to come up with something thats right for me.
    When I'm putting together a ritual at any time, I like to to browse through my books and do some web surfing, and then I usually put together bits and pieces that seem to go together well, that actually mean something to me. If you spend time researching, and then writing, you will feel more comfortable and familiar with the ritual when you are ready to perform it.

I sat outside with a bottle of wine and introduced myself.

My year and a day is on the 5th, and I was literally just talking with my older sister about whether I should dedicate myself or not. She has never herself, and I'm not sure if I will or not, but I have this idea in my head...

I'm with you on being simple, I don't like overly-complicated big things or anything like that, so what I was thinking of doing is simply making my alter that day. It was in my head to do that sometime this week, but I thought it would be cool to do it on my year and a day. Laoghaire and Lunacie had a lot of good suggestions as well.

I think you should do what feels right for you, and that will be enough. c=

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast