View Poll Results: What started your Pagan/magic/occult journey?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie (fiction, like The Craft, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

6 2.87%
  • TV show (fiction, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.)

8 3.83%
  • Documentary (TV or movie nonfiction, news item, talk show, etc.)

4 1.91%
  • News item in a print medium (newspaper, magazine, etc.)

0 0%
  • Internet (website, email, etc.)

28 13.40%
  • Fiction (novel, comic, short story, etc.)

15 7.18%
  • Nonfiction (book, magazine, zine, etc.)

30 14.35%
  • I learned about it from a family member

17 8.13%
  • I learned about it from someone outside my family

44 21.05%
  • Other

57 27.27%
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: what started your interest in Paganism?

what started your interest in Paganism?

I'm curious to hear what started your interest in Paganism, magic, or occultism. Be honest -- just because a start might have been a bit "fluffy" does not mean you stay that way!

If there isn't an appropriate item on the poll for you to choose please select "other" and explain in a post.

I'm eager to hear everyone's stories about what triggered their journey.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

I'll go first.

I've always read a lot. I remember when I was in kindergarten I loved going to the school library and looking at the books there. So it's not really surprising that my earliest memories of being interested in magick and witchcraft came about from reading.

I don't know what book, comic, or story started me off but it was likely fiction. I used to love reading Doctor Strange comics, and would read any kids' story or book that included witches and magick that I could find. I got all sorts of kids' novels from the Scholastic Book Club at school that featured witches (like "The Witch Next Door" sort of thing... I'm not sure what the titles actually were.)

When I was about nine or ten I remember seeing ads in my parents' Old Farmer's Almanac for books on real witchcraft. That was probably when I realized that witches were not just story-book characters. After that I started really looking for them in the nonfiction section of the library and bookstores and things took off from there.

I think my first real magick book was one I bought when I was about thirteen or fourteen.

Ben Gruagach
    MysticWicks forum guide in "Paths: Wicca", "Books" and "History"
    author of The Wiccan Mystic: Exploring a Magickal Spiritual Path
    visit my website at http://www.witchgrotto.com
    read my LiveJournal blog
    find me on Facebook

My grandmother is a Wiccan priestess and raised my mom and her siblings in a Pagan lifestyle, kind of difficult for me not to encounter it!

So, I selected heard about it from a family member.

Blinkie Maker

Live Journal| Twitter

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank you, Catiana, for the wonderful turtle montage! :D

For me, it was a book I found in my local library what I was 12 - "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft". Me and my next-door neighbour (who was also 12) thought it would be cool to read up and learn about a religion for witches

It wasn't meant to be anything serious, but I started looking more into my spirituality and beliefs and decided that I wanted to be a Wiccan (my friend lost interest). I was a typical 'fluffy bunny' until I was about 16, then I joined this forum and finally learned that there's more to Paganism than Wicca and started looking elsewhere.

But thinking about it, I've been Pagan my whole life, really. Well, a Pantheist at least. I just didn't know it.

I said "other," because there are multiple choices there that could be true for me.

God I'm gonna sound like such a fluff, but I started reading fantasy books...they borrow a lot of stuff from wicca in so many of them, and basically I got to finding out it was a legitimate religion. Then shows like Buffy and Charmed probably helped my interest along. Eventually it wasn't about wanting to be like those characters anymore, but man, that phase lasted awhile.

What got me serious about it? Partially a friend, partially coming out of a deep depression, and partially discovering the existence of UU pagans groups.

I'm not proud of my roots at all.
    -little owl[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I voted "someone outside my family" introduced me to paganism. In tenth grade I met my friend Alicia who introduced me to paganism and Mystic Wicks actually. You all can thank her for bringing the Sacredsin curse to MW.

Embarrassed Honestly

When I was a young child, I was bullied and my mother didn't always treat me nice on top of that. I thought it would be cool if I was a witch and I could put a curse on the bullies. As I got older, the way my mother treated me turned into emotional abuse. My mother would say horribly mean things to me; she even threatened to kill me. I hated her so much, that I begged my father to divorce her. He refused, so then I began trying to get myself into foster care. I couldn't prove anything since it wasn't physical (besides the hair yanking) so I had to stick with living with my mother.

My father eventually decided to get a divorce because she was treating him like dirt also. He took me with him when he left her because he knew how much I hated her.

By this time I strayed away from Catholicism, and I've already had heard of Wicca. I wanted to become a Witch so I could put a death curse on my mother. I decided to get "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Wicca and Witchcraft" and "WICCA: A Guide for the Solitary Practioner" at Barnes and Noble since one seemed simple and the other one seemed to be popular.

I soon read that the threefold law...that convinced me to NEVER curse, let alone do a death curse.

Now I'm following a pagan path of my own that isn't Wicca. My hatred I held for my mother has transformed into a slight disliking with tolerance for her (I'm seeing her tomorrow)To this day I refuse to curse since now I believe in Karma.

I hope you people don't think too much less of me for sharing something personal. The most important thing is that I've changed.

I selected "Other" because frankly I can't remember where I first heard about Witches as a child.

I came across it via the Internet, as I come across so many things.

I started my spiritual journey fairly early. I had left the Catholic church (Mami tried to raise me in it. Failed.) by around the age of 11, and then I had nothing, basically. Then I got into my Dad's beliefs, which ... I suppose are almost Spiritualist? He had said he believed in some of the basic ideas and tenets in the Bible, but he didn't believe in the major idea of Hell or even Sheol; he believed in reincarnation and karma, and was influenced by the Eastern religions in those regards. So, I took some of his beliefs, though I didn't consider myself very Christian...not believing in the Bible the way he did, and seeing "God" more as "Nature."

Then I went back to nothing again. Then I got to agnostic and more open about hearing, reading, &c. things. (Not to say atheists aren't open; it's just how I myself was. When atheist, I was that, and I didn't have beliefs anywhere else. If I was agnostic, sometimes I didn't have beliefs anywhere else, sometimes I was more into looking. *Shrugs*)

I eventually got to Sartrean Existentialism. *Blinks* People had to tell me that; I had no idea what it was until then. I had to do my reading on that one.

Then I went back to nothing/whatever.

Then, I was probably reading various things on religions and spiritual paths on the Internet, since I had become quite savvy in searching online and stuff. I think I mostly started by looking at religioustolerance.org, and I had occasionally seen UU stuff...and, of course, I'm sure I must've hit stuff up on Wikipedia. I also found WitchVox.com at some point. I started reading the basics and all that, and I found that Paganism, as a whole, may have something for me...

So, I pursued more information, and I started getting onto a pagan path. I started off very influenced by the Religio Romana, though I've never actually been part of it and am still not. (In fact, I've moved away from that and moved toward a more eclectic thing.)

Ah, spiritual journeys. Good times.

ETA: Well, I guess my Dad could sorta be an originator? I didn't think about that. Hrm. Well, while he did introduce me to concepts sometimes found in some pagan paths (i.e. reincarnation and karma, aforementioned), he didn't tell me about the pagan paths himself. So it's not like he told me about Wicca or Paganism or whatever; I'm not sure he knew too much about it, though I'm certain he probably heard of it and came across it in his own readings. But, he was a catalyst for my journey.
    Last edited by Toki Wartooth; July 22nd, 2009 at 07:04 PM.
    02-07-1943
    05-19-2009
    Papi - R.I.P.
    I love you. Always.

Great question Ben!

When I was first doing some research when I was 15 (back in 2001) for a shot story I was writing I started to find all these sites on Wicca. I think it only became really solid for me when I watched the movie "The Mists of Avalon" in 2002, that I heard about Goddess worship and started to look into it more. I think it's that scene, you know the one, where Vivienne is killed by Morgause and the huge orchestral music starts building up and peaks during the solar eclipse. Great movie!

असतोमा सद्गमय। तमसोमा ज्योतिर् गमया।
    मृत्योर्मामृतं गमय॥
    ॐ Om Asatoma Sadgamaya, Tamasoma Jyoti Gamaya, Mrityoma Amritam Gamaya ॐ

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gruagach View Post
    I'm curious to hear what started your interest in Paganism, magic, or occultism. Be honest -- just because a start might have been a bit "fluffy" does not mean you stay that way!

If there isn't an appropriate item on the poll for you to choose please select "other" and explain in a post.

I'm eager to hear everyone's stories about what triggered their journey.
    I said documentary. I first heard of wicca on a show called "travelers" basically a travel show. They did a halloween special in salem and interviewed real witches and gave some brief info on wicca and stuff. I was just like omg I believe that! there's an actual religion like that?!?!

Then I started researching on the internet....and 10 or so years later here i am lol.
    ~*~ )o( Blessings in Shadow & Light! )o( ~*~

~ Semper Fi ~

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast