View Poll Results: What started your Pagan/magic/occult journey?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie (fiction, like The Craft, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

6 2.87%
  • TV show (fiction, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.)

8 3.83%
  • Documentary (TV or movie nonfiction, news item, talk show, etc.)

4 1.91%
  • News item in a print medium (newspaper, magazine, etc.)

0 0%
  • Internet (website, email, etc.)

28 13.40%
  • Fiction (novel, comic, short story, etc.)

15 7.18%
  • Nonfiction (book, magazine, zine, etc.)

30 14.35%
  • I learned about it from a family member

17 8.13%
  • I learned about it from someone outside my family

44 21.05%
  • Other

57 27.27%
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: what started your interest in Paganism?

Hmmm Iím not sure how to answer this lol

As a child I was always drawn to magical things, the fantasy world and mythology. In high school Astrology greatly sparked my interests. After high school it was a mix of my friendís growing interest in Wicca and the fact that my fatherís death shook my beliefs.

That's the short story of how I got where I am now spiritually
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was raised in a home where we just told people we were Catholic because, for my mom, it was the closest to the truth. I started looking for a new spirituality in middle school where I dabbled a little in my own creative sort of wicca, and then moved on to Shinto, Agnosticism, generic New Age spirituality, and a brief bout of atheism, but I kept coming back to Paganism. I liked the philosophy, ethics, view of humanity and time, and overall air of tolerance and "chill". What really made me believe in magic was a spell to call my ideal partner, whom I met a little less than a year later and he matched the description in my spell perfectly, down to his multi-colored eyes and we're now engaged. I just recently decided to become Pagan and I'm doing as much research as I can and looking for groups and festivals XD

is offline Shadow walker and feeder of felines
    I think I was born pagan it just took me a really longggggggggggggg time to figure it out!

My path started with reading The Truth About Witchcraft Today by Scott Cunningham. My brother's girlfriend had left it at the house. I was very interested in Wicca for a while, but then I discovered Satanism, and Chaos Magick. That's pretty much been my path since I was...ten. Wow, where has that one year gone?

I choose a book. The desision to start looking outside came from being a Roman Catholic and simply never understanding how people could go to church every Sunday and listen to them breach about how to treat everyone with love...then next thing you know they are flipping people the bird in the church's parking lot on the way home.

I grabbed some books and sat down and read, and then read some more, then kept going, doubt I'll ever stop
    http://www.fictionpress.com/u/694214/

My dreams and mind,
    Left on a page for the world.

I was introduced to tarot by my Philippino Godmother, and it essentially just grew from there over a year period until I started identifying with Wicca.
    My Bible is comprised of my own mind, the whispers of God's divine wind, and the crashing waves of the Goddess's eternal ocean.

My Temple is every beach... every forest... every mountain... and every valley. Anywhere I can feel soil or rock beneath my bare toes, and hear the whistling of the air is a place of worship.

My adoptive Mom was a quiet do-unto-others type Protestant, but Dad had had a near-death experience and gone off the rails into right-wing Christianity (he eventually became a Seventh-Day Adventist, and I breathed a sigh of relief because it could have been So Much Worse!). He talked (or browbeat, I'm not sure) Mom into putting me into a Wisconsin Lutheran day school for 12 long miserable years--being an extremely intelligent and weird girl isn't easy at the best of times, but in that school I was downright suspect. I spent a lot of years alone, reading fantasy and science fiction, studying mythology and poetry, and learning what little I could about magic and mysticism. It was the misogyny of the church that actually started driving me away by age 12, and the vile homophobia of the early AIDS epidemic nailed the coffin lid down on Christianity for me a few years later. In the midst of this crisis of faith, I discovered Margot Adler's Drawing Down the Moon in the local library. I must have read it a dozen times before I bought my own copy, and even wrote my senior Religion class paper on it. Most importantly, the moment I first read the chapter on Dianic Wicce and Goddess religion I knew it was my path, and I've been on it for over 25 years now.
    Last edited by blackwingsblackheart; September 30th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

I had a mystical experience triggered by a psychedelic that opened me up to the divine nature of everything. After that I was open to all sorts of spiritual paths. I new friend of mine was in a Wiccan coven and I was invited to a some of their ritual/celebrations. It felt good and I felt something from their rituals and it felt good. So from the beginning I have always had a place in my heart for Wicca/neo-paganism, etc. I have also attended a few OTO masses and that felt good and put me in a sublime state as well. Then again, time alone in nature does that for me to and so do my own improvised rituals and what not. But to get back on topic, though I don't have religious beliefs, I still feel as if the earth and nature are divine. It's just a feeling I can't deny and Wicca and other forms of paganism, are ways I can express and celebrate a spiritual connection with nature (including spirit and humanity).

Just like most of my interests, my interest in Paganism started from reading about it on the Internet. I just started reading about it and found that I agreed with a lot of it.

To put it simply, I met a girl in middle school. Eight grade, to be precise. We just clicked. One glance at each other and we knew we would be great friends. I was a bookworm, and she had this book on paganism on the bus, just reading. So I started asking questions. One thing led to another, and here I am today, still going strong in my "phase" as my dad puts it.

I owe her a lot.
    Now this is the Law of the Jungle - as old and as true as the Sky. And the Wolf that shall keep it may prosper, but the Wolf that shall break it must die. As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk the Law runneth forward and back; For the strength of the Pack is the Wolf, and the strength of the Wolf is the Pack. ~ Rudyard Kipling

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast