View Poll Results: What started your Pagan/magic/occult journey?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie (fiction, like The Craft, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

6 2.87%
  • TV show (fiction, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.)

8 3.83%
  • Documentary (TV or movie nonfiction, news item, talk show, etc.)

4 1.91%
  • News item in a print medium (newspaper, magazine, etc.)

0 0%
  • Internet (website, email, etc.)

28 13.40%
  • Fiction (novel, comic, short story, etc.)

15 7.18%
  • Nonfiction (book, magazine, zine, etc.)

30 14.35%
  • I learned about it from a family member

17 8.13%
  • I learned about it from someone outside my family

44 21.05%
  • Other

57 27.27%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: what started your interest in Paganism?

Heard about Wicca through Buffy/Charmed. I googled the term and went from there.
    I found Mystic Wicks pretty soon after.
    I eventually found out about Pantheism.

When I was a child I always identified with characters in books, films and on TV who had magical powers. Then as a young teen I went to Catholic Sunday school and I think that is where I first heard about Wicca and because they were so against it I got quite interested in it. I started reading books about all sorts of religions and philosophies in my mid teens and it was after reading Scott Cunningham that I began to identify as a witch. After that it was a mixture of books, web-sites and people I got to know that helped me to develop my own pagan path and lifestyle.
    😈 "It's too bad that stupidity isn't painful." Anton LaVey 😈

There was a girl, see (way to many of my stories start like that!).

I'd known for some time that Christianity and I were parting ways. I wasn't actively seeking a new religion, but part of me knew I couldn't go long without some kind of ritual and spiritual celebration.

Then I met this girl and went...stupid over her. There's not other way to describe it. Many of my friends, male and female, did likewise, though we can't remember why, now. That girl was Wiccan. She finagled me an invitation to a mutual friend's Beltane ritual; it was my first exposure to real witches. I was entranced. There was real magic here! Not hocus-pocus and turning people into newts: actual, real magic in and for the world and ourselves. And there were so many different paths! And there was reverence for Nature in and of itself, not just as "that cool thing God did." From that night on, I was hooked.
    If you're lucky you'll find something that reflects you,
    helps you feel your life protects you,
    cradles you and connects you to everything.
    Dar Williams, "The Hudson"

is offline ~stop right there, criminal scum
    I can't remember how I came to it, but I would read Wicca books in the library (in a secluded corner, of course!) when I was maybe 10 or 11. I do believe it was a Cunningham book originally. I have a tendency to pick a shelf of non-fiction and grab a random book from it...
    By 12 a friend and I were discussing spells and whatnot-she was into it for that, but I really felt ridiculous. (Still do!) After a few weeks she lost interest, but I would read books on herbs, astrology, all sorts of fun stuff-but not spells. I don't know why. It never got serious.
    When I was 16, I entered into a relationship with someone who happened to be from a pagan family...he told me things that had happened to him involving malevolent forces...and I learned to suspend my natural skepticism just a bit with him. Some things just made sense.

OOH! Folk metal indoctrinated me with its pagan tales! :deviltail
    Church never did it for me either.

I currently have no set path, nor do I really want one. While drawn to the order of ritual, I do not know if I ever want to participate in such. I try to be openminded. However, the fluffiness of some things is aggrieving...and is the main thing that had stopped me from exploring more as a kid.

I never make sense.

Register to be a potential bone marrow/stem cell donor!
    It's painless and free--and could save the life of someone with a blood disorder.

and in the wind, I hear those crows
    they will bring the spring, and take the cold away...

How I started...

It was an article in a local newspaper. It was close to Halloween, and the article featured two local Wiccan women who owned a store that sold herbs, and jewelry and pieces for your alter, etc. They didn't sell spells, but would advise you about spells and would sell things you might need for that spell. Within the article they gave instructions on how to do a few spells. One spell was to rid someone from your life without doing harm or causing harm to them. My husband, who was a very loyal and a hardworker, was having trouble w/a boss. I did the spell to be rid of her. In about three weeks, she was moved to another department in another building far far away. I was amazed! I was telling our daughter who works in publishing, and she got me two books. Starhawk's Spiral Dance and Telesco's Magick Made Easy. I was hooked. By the way, myself and others have used that spell over and over, and it always works! You write the person's name in red ink on white paper and put it in your freezer - until you are rid of them.
    My light shall be the moon; And my path - the ocean; My guide the morning star; As I sail home to you. -Enya

Quote Originally Posted by LESSTHAN3 View Post
    Honestly, I was bored last summer. XDD And so I was surfing wikipedia and I've always been curious by the supernatural. Hell, Supernatural is my favorite show! XDD! And then, by chance (or fate?) I ran into an article about Elder Futhark and it all just blossomed from there.
    Mine too!, Sam and Dean are totally hot !, sorry wrong thread.

Anyway, I first got interested in Wicca when I was about 16, and started to watch Charmed, I joined a Charmed board, and there was a Wiccan section there, I used to ask questions there, looked through the links, then I brought a few new books on it, and then, found MW (I think through a Google search or something), and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by David19 View Post
    Mine too!, Sam and Dean are totally hot !, sorry wrong thread.

Anyway, I first got interested in Wicca when I was about 16, and started to watch Charmed, I joined a Charmed board, and there was a Wiccan section there, I used to ask questions there, looked through the links, then I brought a few new books on it, and then, found MW (I think through a Google search or something), and the rest is history.
    I also found more out about Wicca through a charmed board before i began frequntly visiting here.

One day in my junior year of high school I was hanging out in the library and noticed some new books had come in, one of which was the first in the "circle of three" series. I breezed through it and recalling the tail end of History channel program I had seen years before wondered how much of it was what witch's actually did and how much was creative license, so I went to the local library and read all the books on Wicca/Witchcraft I could find.
    "It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are tweny gods or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg"- Thomas Jefferson
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I chose 'other' in the pole but it's really a combination of a number of the options...but not the internet or movies or tv shows...there was no Internet when I was growing up and Bewitched was about the only television show available.

When I was younger I held a fascination for all things related to the paranormal and the occult but there wasn't a great deal of literature that was readily available. I have a sister who used to converse with our late gr-grandmother (she gave her guided tours of each of our new homes...in her sleep), as a child I often had arguments with my parents about having been to places we had never actually been - I was able to describe in great detail what was around the corner or give a description of a store we were about to enter (it freaked out my mother but my father never seemed to worry about it too much).

As an adult there came a time in my life when I was in need of some spiritual guidance but I didn't know what that was for me. A friend introduced me to her pastor and while I very much appreciated his counsel, I realized that Christianity was no longer my path. Another friend and I had great conversations about what was important to us in a spiritual context, she introduced me to the Sacred Text web site and a few others that provided some wonderful guidance. Eventually she recommended MysticWicks and I 've been lurking around here ever since.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it
    Peace & Love Y'all

Elwyn

I chose "I learned about it from someone outside of my family".

I was raised in a very fundamental Christian household but didn't feel that being a fundamental Christian was right for me. I was kind of at a spiritual cross roads since my teens, although I tried to be the kind of Christian my mom wanted me to be... I couldn't do it though, it was not the right path for me, I needed something that wasn't so strict and allowed more spiritual growth than Mom's path allowed.

When I was in my mid-20's, one of my best friends (we've known each other since high school) told me she was Wiccan... I started asking questions and she opened a whole new world for me...

But I found I wasn't quite ready to leave my Christian upbringing behind and become a Wiccan myself... So I was still at the cross roads for another year or two.

Then about 6 years ago, I found a book in the bookstore... It's a book that shows how to combine Christianity and paganism. I purchased it and have never looked back since. I started walking down that path and have no regrets whatsoever, being a Christian Witch is right for me.

I'm still learning and growing on my current path... But what a great ride it's been so far!!!
    "Writing is as vital to me as breathing. Without it, I wouldn't be living, only exisiting." ~ Me

Cloaky

Happy 150th Birthday, Canada!
    1867 - 2017

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast