View Poll Results: What started your Pagan/magic/occult journey?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie (fiction, like The Craft, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

6 2.87%
  • TV show (fiction, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.)

8 3.83%
  • Documentary (TV or movie nonfiction, news item, talk show, etc.)

4 1.91%
  • News item in a print medium (newspaper, magazine, etc.)

0 0%
  • Internet (website, email, etc.)

28 13.40%
  • Fiction (novel, comic, short story, etc.)

15 7.18%
  • Nonfiction (book, magazine, zine, etc.)

30 14.35%
  • I learned about it from a family member

17 8.13%
  • I learned about it from someone outside my family

44 21.05%
  • Other

57 27.27%
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: what started your interest in Paganism?

Wow so few inspired by the movie The Craft? :o

I was 11 at the time, and had *never* heard of real witchcraft or paid any attention to the fantasy version. After I saw The Craft, I wondered if it was based, even a little, on reality and whattayaknow, the internet was just coming out so I checked it out. Weird, people actually choosing to call themselves pagans (I was raised Catholic). So I began searching sites like the Witches Voice and reading a little Cunningham. Now here I am today, pretty far from "normal" Wicca but still pagan.

Eh, the first time I saw The Craft, I didn't think any of it was real. After I learned a little more about witchcraft, I guess I just thought the movie was kind of silly.

That's not to say I haven't watched it far too many times and enjoyed it, mind you. It just never had any effect on my beliefs.

I was young around ten years old I think when I first realized that a larger world lay outside what I and those around me seemed to be aware of...Thing would always seem to be happening that I and others couldn't explain. Eventually I came across a book about paganism and read it from cover to cover. I cannot remember now who the author was but, I remember clearly a passage from this book...."If it could be acurately summed up the breadth and width of mankind's knowledge to a single drop of water in a very large bucket..what of the rest of the water? One drop doesn't quench one's thirst very well!" I personally want a good strong swig of water and if the rest of the world doesn't like that...to oblivion with them!!
    "The only difference between the possible and the impossible is that the impossible takes a little longer to pull off." -----Marc Bolan

The most beautiful experience we can have is the Mysterious. It is fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and science. -----Albert Einstein

Lol honestly, it was Sabrina the teenage witch!!! Hahahaha!! Give me a break, I was like 10 years old lol. I used to wish it was real. Then at about 14 I found a book by Kate West on Wicca and it all sparked from there.
    x

Lightbulb

When I was eight, my brother's g/f moved in with us. They were nearly double my age. I remember that she told me a couple of things about Wicca, and she had a trunk full of books, crystals, oils, etc. I had always been particularly fond of crystals and rocks. Living in Miami, we had an abundance of botanicas in the city-catering to the Catholic and Santerian population. She took me with her on her trips to them, gathering supplies. I remember the botanicas best for their brass implements, saint candles, and large supply of herbs and oils.

Starting at 12, I had a huge interest in astral travel, chakras and energy work, meditation, taoism, and mythology. The first book of which I picked up was the AD&D Deities and Demigods, featuring the Cthulhu mythos. It was what inspired me to read Lovecraft and Sumerian mythology.

I was growing more and more depressed sitting at masses and being in sunday school-like groups with people who were very cruel and coldhearted teenagers. I grew tired of seeing Jesus crucified on the wall in the church. I wanted to tell him to come hang out with me in the woods. After a series of discussions with the Priest at my Catholic church, we had a sit down with my folks, whom he urged to essentially let me go to find my bliss (as Joseph Campbell would say). I was developing a desire to spend time not in church but in nature. It was there that I felt most at peace with the world around me and connected to the elements. That is where I found 'god' at 14.

Two yrs later, a couple of my high school friends introduced, or I should say re-introduced me to Wicca. The first Wiccan book I read may have been Ray Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. I was very interested in the concept of masculine and feminine forces, working in equality with one another. That was a welcomed change for me, a former Catholic who was searching for that certain 'je ne sais quoi'.

I faced a lot of familial adversity pursuing Wicca, but that's another discussion for another time. 13 yrs later I'm still searching, but have not been Wiccan for many years now. However, fervently believe that every step of the way we learn more about the paths we walk, and where we're going, even if it doesn't seem so apparent at the time.

is offline Forest-dwelling witchy person
    I grew up in a fairly strict German Lutheran household, and always knew that, although I loved our religion, there had to be more. When I was about 15, I started reading various materials about Paganism, and knew that I had to incorporate some of that into my life.

While I knew that I could never leave Christianity behind, I found lots of ways to integrate the two. I have a HUGE library of books on all different religious topics, so it was easy for me to gather and pick and choose what I needed to make my path, and my life, my own.
    I'm a Christian Witch, and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Proudly German-Canadian.

I find it overly pretentious when people call themselves "Lady _________." My username would just have been "Dryad," had that not been taken and were I not unoriginal in picking names for things.
    By no means do I consider myself "Lady" anything.

I was so terrified of hell (being raised christian) that I was looking for alternative perspectives to calm my fear down and thankfully found this path of peace !!!!!!!!!!

I was into AOL chat for a while and this wonderful person shared the Charge of the Goddess with me, lol and that was it pretty much. In my heart I knew at that moment I was changed forever.

)O( Athena )O(

My Art

Growing up, I had a very interesting viewpoint of religion (what with my father's family being pre-vatican II catholic) and my maternal grandmother being a devout spiritualist witch. So I grew up exposed all sorts of curious things but I never really got an urge to truly explore it all.

I was also a histroy and mythology nut. I found all the lore to be such fascinating stories, it tickled my interest as a nice what if. But I never thought to think there were actual religions behind it because, as a young kid, I thought these religions died out or were wiped away. That people just stopped believing and those old gods just faded away without anyone to believe in them anymore.

Until an incident during my freshman year of high school. I was in the library during lunch, where I normally went after eating, just looking for something to read. That's when I found it, or rather it found me. It was the hardback version of The Egyptian Book of the Dead: The Papyrus of Ani, by Budge. Part of my attention flipped to it because I thought "Dude...that just sounds awesome" and the other part just felt like I needed to pick up this book.

I spent every moment I could reading this book, checking it out and rechecking it out, reading it in the library, in class when I had free time, anytime I could manage it. It just consumed my attention. I read in there the descriptions of powers and forces and gods that just called my soul, that seemed far more alive than anything I had experianced up til that point. I had always been a nut for paranormal and wierd stuff but this took the cake, the ice cream and the ballons in one swoop. It ignited my search into pagan things. Unfortunately I had to move away back to my old school which put a bite on my search and slowed me down. Then I found "Signs, Symbols and Omens" by Buckland which kicked me back onto my seeking.

And that was years ago, which still surprises me looking back that it was that long ago.

Actually a lot of things from that list combined got me interested in Paganism. Watching The Craft, and other Witch movies when I was a kid definitely stuck out. Meeting my first Wiccan friend in school, which got me into reading more into it. Basically anything Pagan related caught my eye from a young age.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast