View Poll Results: What started your Pagan/magic/occult journey?

Voters
209. You may not vote on this poll
  • Movie (fiction, like The Craft, Lord of the Rings, etc.)

6 2.87%
  • TV show (fiction, like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Charmed, etc.)

8 3.83%
  • Documentary (TV or movie nonfiction, news item, talk show, etc.)

4 1.91%
  • News item in a print medium (newspaper, magazine, etc.)

0 0%
  • Internet (website, email, etc.)

28 13.40%
  • Fiction (novel, comic, short story, etc.)

15 7.18%
  • Nonfiction (book, magazine, zine, etc.)

30 14.35%
  • I learned about it from a family member

17 8.13%
  • I learned about it from someone outside my family

44 21.05%
  • Other

57 27.27%
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: what started your interest in Paganism?

My interest in Paganism began when I saw the advertising for the Blairwitch project. I had no idea what it was, so did a search on the internet and stumbled across some sites. I then found out one of my friends practiced Wicca and went from their.

I became Wiccan and started a few groups up (social and practicing) whilst my path evolved.

I became Kemetic when the Gods started talking to me.
    "I'm a foodaholic and I'm on the road to recovery."
    "You can't really love anyone who never makes you laugh."

Daughter of Yinepu-Wepwawet. Beloved of Satet and Amun-Ra

I offer reasonable priced readings, please take a look here AND on Facebook

muh answer

well I have always wondered about this stuff then one day I was surfing the net and BOOM I found something on paganism and was hooked on it , I mean this is really cool

I lived in a weird house growing up, and always felt my Grandmother around when we'd visit my Grandfather out of state.
    I'd fuss at my school librarian at the age of 6 looking for books on legends, mythology and folklore.
    I was bored learning about the Hellenistic and Roman/Etruscan gods, but I'd always been fascinated by the various Mesopotamian pantheons.
    I remember picking up a Silver Ravenwolf book at the age of 16 and laughing at her. I then moved onto Cunningham, and from there, I was hooked. Now though, I tend to read a lot of Folklore and Anthropology books.

My mother's been Wiccan/Pagan for around ten years.

I had a great spiritual loss and change in my life that rocked me to my core. For me to move on and start healing I started to look to other things and beliefs and so far my journey has led me to paganism/Wicca.

When I wanted to learn more I started to do research on line and checked out a few forums (that's how I found MW) and bought books and even visited a local 'new age' store that held classes on a variety of topics from making soul collages to tarot reading. That store has since closed and I wish there was something still like that so to have some form of meet and greet and create a network of some sort.

So I picked "other" <---- had to add that :D
    "A mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam" ~ Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

I was ten years old and read a book on ancient mythology. The stories fascinated me so I looked them up even further. I also had a lot of strange dreams as a child. I felt drawn to the ancient path as though I was called there.

My dad gave me a random gift one day, he saw it in the book store and knowing I like Merlin and Druids etc He though I would like it(I was 12 at the time). My first set of Runes! I used them a few times and read the book that came with them and really liked it.

I've always revered nature, and always felt I needed to find what really fit me. I really loved the Druids since I was little, I thought they were the wisest of all men. Once I met my first few Wiccans and saw that they weren't getting teased for exploring Paganism, I started to as well. My exploration really started about 2 years ago (I'm 21 now) when my gf bought me Phillip and Stephanie Carr-Gomms's Druid Animal Oracle for my Birthday. It further solidified my love of Druidry and I started studying as much as I could.

I've recently also been looking at Shamanic beliefs when I was contacted by my patron goddess, and discovered her Pantheon was a Shamanic religion near Germany, Norway etc So now I have beliefs connected to both aspects of my Lineage British/Celtic and Germanic.

I was raised Congregational Protestant, and my father is actually a minister. I went to Sunday school and when I reached the appropriate age, I sat in the worship service with my family. I never really viewed it as something to believe in, as in how the universe works - it was just something I did every Sunday. I always viewed the Bible as just a collection of stories that have morals to them, much like Aesop's Fables, and I honestly think my father was the one who helped bring that idea into my head. He's a minister, but he's very open-minded to other beliefs (he always says that they're all different journeys that lead to the same place) and he always encouraged me to question everything. He truly believes in Jesus as having been a real person, but he always said the Bible was written by people, and thus might not be 100% true.

I always took private art lessons my entire childhood, and my teachers were typically artsy, hippie types that would have an ecclectic way of life and ideals. Around Junior High I really started to notice a lot of my friends giving up something for Lent every year, or coming into school with ashes on their foreheads on Ash Wednesday (we had a large percentage of Catholics in my home town) and since I was Protestant I never did any of that. It started to make me feel like I should find something to believe in, since I felt no connection to what I was raised on a personal spiritual level.

Eventually I started art lessons with one particular woman who had a fascination with Native American belief systems, and many of my art lessons were filled with side lessons on smudging, or leaving offerings, or totem animals, etc. She really was the one who sparked my interest in Pagan paths, and from then on I started buying books and figuring out what it was I myself believed in. I've always been a lover of nature, and spend a lot of my time growing up covered in dirt in the woods behind my parent's house, so Paganism just clicked with me.
    Last edited by The Grumble; August 21st, 2010 at 06:36 PM. Reason: I am the typo queen.

I read Whitley Strieber's book Cat Magic when I was about 10, and it mentioned real witches and Wicca, and even gave the address for Circle Sanctuary to write for more information. I was hooked from then on.

Senebty!
    NefertSatSekhmet
    Daughter of Sekhmet-Mut, beloved of Bast and Aset
    Visit Sekhmet's Pride

MW Forum Guide-
    Paths: Egyptians, Tamerans, and Kemetics

I was never really raised in any sort of religion, my mother was Christian and my dad was a loose Catholic, but neither was pushed upon me, nor did they at any point make me feel like it was important to believe in anything. I didn't really even ponder the concept of religion until elementary school when my best friend at the time was talking to me about going to church and bible camp over the summer. I went with her and was pretty awed by the ritual of it all, it was a very sing-y and dance-y kind of camp. I wasn't really into the actual "lore" part of it though, just seemed kind of out there to me, but I was eventually scared into it by various acquaintances of my friends who told me what happens to people who don't believe.

Skipping ahead, I kept it up until High School, terrified of the doubts I had, I mean everyone I knew seemed to be very adamant about hell and eternal suffering (ahhh... the Bible belt at it's finest). Then, my freshman year I met a friend who was into tarot and taught me how to read them, that set off a chain of research and self-discovery, one that I haven't looked back from.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast