Thread: A short series on the Bee and religions

A short series on the Bee and religions

Here's an interesting read on the Bee and a sample of it's influence on early history.

It touches various time periods and religions so is not totally inclusive of any single period.

http://andrewgough.co.uk/bee1_1.html

Oh, I like that site. I was eventually going to add it to my bee blog (under helpful links).

It's one of the many I have bookmarked under my "bee" label.
    I'm obsessed with them

There's also this thread, where I tried to get into some of the symbolism: the significance of the bee

Also, this book is great. Has tons of info.
    Sacred Bee in Ancient Times and Folklore
    I'd recommend getting it on Barnes & Noble as it's way cheaper than Amazon.
    Last edited by Agaliha; July 25th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Thank you for the link and recomendation agaliha. It's sort of ironic but they really do not call to me that much but I seem to be pulled to them quite a bit. Especially in their connection to Artemis, it almost always seems I fall into a site that deals with bees and Artemis' association.

I wonder know if I maybe need to get some honey and offer it to Artemis as the bees have come back up again?

I love the ancient history of bees in myth and folklore. Thanks for sharing this link MonSno_LeeDra.

And Agaliha...a bee blog? Would you mind if I watched? Great trippy bee thread here too. I'm bookmarking all of these for later reading.

I'll add a small .pdf on the significance of wild bees in cow slaughter as a source of poetic inspiration from Orpheus and the Bougonia in Georgic 4 and how it touches on the possibility of a connection to the myth of dear Boand (Irish):
    http://www.apaclassics.org/AnnualMee...mcdonald-j.pdf
    Last edited by _Banbha_; July 26th, 2009 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Banbha_ View Post
    And Agalia...a bee blog? Would you mind if I watched? Great trippy bee thread here too. I'm bookmarking all of these for later reading.
    Yeah, I have an LJ for my bee obsession-- Belles Abeilles
    Feel free to add/watch it! I've been planning on adding more entries and photos (that I've taken of bees in my yard), too. I'm actually adding some photos tonight, just got to add a watermark on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Agaliha View Post
    Yeah, I have an LJ for my bee obsession-- Belles Abeilles
    Feel free to add/watch it! I've been planning on adding more entries and photos (that I've taken of bees in my yard), too. I'm actually adding some photos tonight, just got to add a watermark on them.
    Thanks!