Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any Taboos on Your Path?

Any Taboos on Your Path?

Just curious if your path includes any taboos, like absolute no-no's or forbiddens, that you observe.

Mine... I will not access MW while I am in our church. I do this out of respect for my God, who has no tolerance of other gods. He, by His own admission, is jealous...

How about you?

EDIT: We have the ten commandments, too, of course!
    Last edited by Cunae; July 28th, 2009 at 04:25 AM.

The Only Sin Is Restriction...

Yes, many. But since I'm still learning about things, I'm only observing major ones (common to all Abrahamic faiths) and if I decide in the end the faith (Islam) is for me, I'll integrate the others into my daily life as well. It's hard to do everything at once... Some things are easy for me, though as they were part of my previous view on things. For example, I don't drink alcohol and don't want to, so giving that up is of no consequence to me. And some things I don't mind and others will be a struggle and sacrifice. That's all part of jihad al-akbar -- the Greater Jihad, which is a spiritual struggle and striving for God...not everything is easy and I accept that.

Yup...

Breaking the initiatory oaths is the only major one, proselytizing is also considered extremely taboo.
    "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

To believe in any god(s) would be pretty taboo for me wouldn't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post
    Just curious if your path includes any taboos, like absolute no-no's or forbiddens, that you observe.

Mine... I will not access MW while I am in our church. I do this out of respect for my God, who has no tolerance of other gods. He, by His own admission, is jealous...

How about you?
    Path-specific to me - the things which are forbidden are harm to a child and animal sacrifice. There are other things which are frowned upon, but aren't necessarily taboo.

For me personally, rape, cold-blooded murder, senseless violence - those kinds of things are no-nos obviously.

Stupidity is something that is a big no-no, too. My own, that is. No being stupid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Ihr seht nach oben, wenn ihr nach Erhebung verlangt. Und ich sehe hinab, weil ich erhoben bin." ~Friedrich Nietzsche

Stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie View Post
    Stupidity.

In addition to that: accepting things as truth without examining it on your own (which equals stupidity). Being complacent. Losing your thirst for knowledge. All of these things are forbidden for me.
    Support MW by subscribing

We don't exist without your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Bettie View Post
    Stupidity.
    Ideally, but I must admit to failing at this taboo all too often...

Cruelty is taboo to me, but even as recently as yesterday I failed that one due to not making a connection that I should have between two situations.....still not happy with myself over the unnecessary pain I caused on that one....
    Last edited by Corvis Canis Latrans; July 28th, 2009 at 04:34 PM.

"Ford, you're turning into a penguin. Stop it!"
    Arthur Dent Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Mass hysteria and mass complacency are flip sides of the same coin. Never panic, always think for yourself. Question all information, even from those individuals and sources you hold most cherished, for in those instances, complacency and hysteria alike become all too easy. All information either comes from humans or is filtered through the human mind (our own or another's) and thus subject to human faults no matter if it comes from a scientist or a messiah. Question it. And constantly question yourself.

Neither ravens nor wolves like to be gilt in silver.

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Christian View Post

How about you?

EDIT: We have the ten commandments, too, of course!
    Basically, repeating the same mistake twice. That's all I really need to worry about.
    SpongeBob: Hi, Squidward! I mean, good bye, Squidward! Isn't opposite day...terrible!
    Squidward: [from his house] I'll tell you what's terrible-- living next to you! You're the worst neighbor in history!
    SpongeBob: Wow, that's the nicest thing Squidward's ever said to me!
    SpongeBob & Patrick: Happy Opposite Day, Squidward! We hate you!
    Squidward: Grr... Let me show you guys how much I hate you! [Squidward chases them with a bulldozer] Happy Opposite Day!
    SpongeBob: Patrick, do you ever think Squidward likes us too much?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast