Thread: 'Hitler did shake hands with Owens at Berlin Olympics'

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer

'Hitler did shake hands with Owens at Berlin Olympics'

Link

LONDON: The sporting history's greatest mystery over whether Nazi leader Adolf Hitler shook hands with Jesse Owens at the Berlin Olympics in
    1936, after the black US athlete won four gold medals, has finally been solved.

At that time, it was reported that Hitler had stormed out of the stadium furious over Owens's win which he had considered a blow to his intention to use the Games to demonstrate Aryan superiority.

Now, 73 years on, a veteran sports reporter in Germany has come forward to claim that though Hitler did indeed leave the stadium after the race, it wasn't before shaking hands with Owens.
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

Hmm. I can't believe Jesse Owens shook hands with him.. not the other way around. I suppose when in Berlin.. do as the Berliners to be a respectful guest. I never knew there was even controvercy over this.

Jesse Owens.. have not heard that name in a long time.
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Glowy View Post
    Hmm. I can't believe Jesse Owens shook hands with him.. not the other way around. I suppose when in Berlin.. do as the Berliners to be a respectful guest. I never knew there was even controvercy over this.

You want to talk irony; Jesse Owens actually received better treatment in Germany, able to freely use public transportation and enter bars and other public facilities without the difficulty he would face as a black man in the United States.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    You want to talk irony; Jesse Owens actually received better treatment in Germany, able to freely use public transportation and enter bars and other public facilities without the difficulty he would face as a black man in the United States.

I concur! ( gonna post it 3 times)
    Health&Beauty & Sports Forum Guide

is offline Teller of Unvarnished Truth
    Hudson River Valley in the shadow of Storm King Mountain

In 1936 the average American had no idea what Hitler was doing to people in work camps and concentration camps. There wasn't even television. The only visuals that we had at the time were the newsreels that played before feature films in movie houses. We were being fed a very pasteurized version of international affairs.
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I concur! ( gonna post it 3 times)
    When you're stroking my ego with concurrence, feel free to post it as many times as you want

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    I think I posted an article here awhile back about a black man who was a German citizen and lived there through the entire course of the war and no one ever gave him any trouble.

Which is very strange, if you think about it...
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

is offline Teller of Unvarnished Truth
    Hudson River Valley in the shadow of Storm King Mountain
    Quote Originally Posted by Laisrean View Post
    I think I posted an article here awhile back about a black man who was a German citizen and lived there through the entire course of the war and no one ever gave him any trouble.

Which is very strange, if you think about it...
    Just one??? Not exactly a glowing testimonial. I can find One example of just about anything. To be honest though, it is not really surprising that blacks experience less discrimination elsewhere. The prejudice here is cultural and deeply rooted in historical events that are not shared by european nations.
    God is an underachiever.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Poster above was spot on: Hitler had not yet invaded any other country. He was distrusted but no one had any idea what he was capable of in 1936...