Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do dogs have souls?

is offline Putting the "Cuss" in Customer
    If humans have souls then other animals probably do as well. The reason is because humans evolved from animals. If animals don't have souls and humans do, then where do you draw the line? Does Homo erectus, Neanderthals, and Australopithecines have souls? And if they do, then what about Chimps and Gorillas and Orangutans? And if they do, what about lemurs and more distant primates?

At some point you must draw a line, so I feel that it must be all or nothing. Either all animals do, or none of them do.

I would also add that ghosts of cats and dogs are about as common as ghosts of humans.... Or at least the sightings of them are.
    “If you are going through hell, keep going." ~ Winston Churchill

"If someone gets into your house, which would you rather have, a handgun or a telephone? You can call the police if you want, and they'll get there, and they'll take a picture of your dead body. But they can't get there in time to save your life. The first line of defense is you." ~ Tom Palmer

"It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights – the "right" to education, the "right" to health care, the "right" to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery – hay and a barn for human cattle." ~ Alexis De Tocquiville

There's evidence that humans have souls let alone a dog or anything else. Or as JR Bob dobbs says " you have an assoul.'

wtf is a soul anyway? And according to Don Bluthe All Dogs to to Heaven.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At some point I said that life should be more like, robocop riding a unicorn that happens to be defecating rainbows...

Well life just got a little bit better.

"Take a picture of an electron in one instant and again the next, it will have seen Andromeda, do the same for me, and I will have taken the same trip."

I continue to battle my word processor in hopes of producing something useful...

Forum Guide in New Pagans
    Don't forget to Adopt your n00bie!

I have been by Bear Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    Watch until the end.
    Dude on the video is ugly as hell.

In any case; it's a valid criticism for the idea that only humans have souls, yes. But not the concept of the soul in its entirety. If one is consistent with the belief in a soul, one should apply that concept to any and all living things.
    Ergo, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post

In any case; it's a valid criticism for the idea that only humans have souls, yes. But not the concept of the soul in its entirety. If one is consistent with the belief in a soul, one should apply that concept to any and all living things.
    Ergo, I do.
    Get out! There's no room for logic here! Logic is for fools and free thinkers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

At some point I said that life should be more like, robocop riding a unicorn that happens to be defecating rainbows...

Well life just got a little bit better.

"Take a picture of an electron in one instant and again the next, it will have seen Andromeda, do the same for me, and I will have taken the same trip."

I continue to battle my word processor in hopes of producing something useful...

Forum Guide in New Pagans
    Don't forget to Adopt your n00bie!

I have been by Bear Dancing

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillian View Post

Ergo, I do.
    TJ (the ugly dude) brought up some points towards the end that I've myself have raised in previous threads - What is the relationship between soul and mind if any? How does a soul benefit you? When do you get a soul? Is there any reason to believe a living thing could not survive without a soul? and so on.

The mind/soul relationship is of interest to me.

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

well, there i didn't hear him give a definition of "soul". that word tends to mean different things to different people.

i believe that we are all made up of energy...everyone...everything. i believe that this energy is all part of the same thing...the same source.

the guy is ugly...the dog is ugly...the room needs some *serious* cleaning and the ugly guy has *got* to wash his whole face at least 3 times now...blech!

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    TJ (the ugly dude) brought up some points towards the end that I've myself have raised in previous threads - What is the relationship between soul and mind if any? How does a soul benefit you? When do you get a soul? Is there any reason to believe a living thing could not survive without a soul? and so on.

The mind/soul relationship is of interest to me.
    I like how the Golden Age Greek and Hellenistic Greek philosophers often equate mind and soul as being the same object, or at least of the same essence.

I personally believe that the soul exists in two parts: the non-physical spirit exists outside of the universe in the realm of the gods, as an immortal entity; the physical soul exists as the energy generated by the body that causes all thought and movement. In a way, the soul is the mind; but other ways it is more than that.
    After all, not all organisms have a mind.

There are those who believe that "God" is equivalent to the creative energies of the universe this energy exists in all things whether you believe in God or not. If you follow science matter is made up of energy and is always in motion. I have met people and anmals a plenty and although I have questioned whether or not certain people have souls or even brains there is no doubt that the spark of the divine is in dogs and cats and even wild animals. The energy that animates a physical body and makes it unique to the individual could be arguably called a soul. Thus everyone has one especially cats and dogs (and other pets and wild animals) and really as a theist I will not go forward into any type of heavenly realm unless I have my loved ones waiting for me there from my atheistic father in law to the beloved pets who have passed from this physical world.

But that's just me.

Greenwolf

Excellent post Greenwolf.

As an animist I believe all natural things have a soul/spirit, I agree with Greenwolfs idea of a divine energy and creative life force and it exists in everything, for me personal, to think that only humans have souls is just another example of the arrogance of our species.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast