Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Do dogs have souls?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly Spirit View Post
    Excellent post Greenwolf.

As an animist I believe all natural things have a soul/spirit, .... to think that only humans have souls is just another example of the arrogance of our species.

Thanks Dragonfly! I absolutely agree with you on that one too!

Greenwolf

:goodgrief

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

Inasmuch as I take an at least partially spiritual approach to therianthropy, I believe my own soul is essentially canine.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Grey View Post
    What is the relationship between soul and mind if any?
    "If true a "supermind of space" could create a whole set of matter-systems all co-existing in the same space but tuned to different quantum-wave frequencies. Then fragments of the supermind structure, the "sub-minds", could only tune into one matter-system at a time. Consequently the only reality apparent at any one time would be the one to which a sub-mind is temporarily tuned. When that matter-system became outworn, this sub-mind, being part of the structured sub-quantum fluid, would simply tune into one of the remaining matter-systems and continue to survive. On this basis our brains could well be mere interfacing mechanisms needed to enable the real minds to pilot the body."
    http://www.cfpf.org.uk/articles/rdp/...alphysics.html

How does a soul benefit you?
    If you believe in souls, that's akin to asking, How do you benefit yourself? It will be contingent upon individual analysis.

When do you get a soul?
    When do you get a physical body? When does life begin?

"People say life begins at conception, I say life began about a billion years ago and it's a continuous process. Continuous, just keeps rolling along."
    -- George Carlin, Back in Town

"Dr. Rick Strassman, the researcher who conducted a 1990 study on the effects of DMT through the University of New Mexico, advanced the thesis that DMT could be the 'spirit molecule', linking the physical brain to as-of-yet unknown domains of the afterlife. A practicing Buddhist, Strassman made this proposition based on an intriguing correspondence between fetal development and Buddhist scripture. According to Buddhism, the soul reincarnates seven weeks after death. The pineal gland—that singular organ in the brain that Descartes had considered the seat of the soul—develops in the embryo forty-nine days after conception. Strassman hypothesized that the pineal gland might act as a receiver for the soul, and that DMT could function as the conducting medium. 'The pineal gland of evolutionarily older animals, such as lizards and amphibians, is also called the "third eye"', Strassman wrote. 'Just like the two seeing eyes, the third eye possesses a lens, cornea, and retina.' In the event of a cataclysmic shock or at death, the pineal gland might release a flood of DMT into the brain, causing the “life review” and the intense visionary phenomena reported in numerous near-death experiences."
    -- Daniel Pinchbeck, 2012 - The Return of Quetzlcoatl

Is there any reason to believe a living thing could not survive without a soul?
    It is no less rational to believe that you can exist without a soul, if that makes sense to you, than it is to believe that the soul is a requisite for existence on this present physical plane.

"I support this entire universal manifestation situated in but a fraction of Myself."
    Krishna, Bhagavad Gita

"Everything comes through the eye, I, the lens of time. It is electrical-magnetic (blue/white) energy 'spiraling' forth from the creational source to experience, then returning in the Now. It is consciousness from the collective, who you are, and where you are going after shedding the physical body at Zero Point. It is not ruled [by] physical limitation or emotions. It is you . . . set free to experience the grids of reality and become your natural state of being."
    http://www.crystalinks.com/whatisasoul.html
    Last edited by Psychonomaly; August 22nd, 2010 at 01:34 AM.

The board has indeed been injected with more pseudo-science than usual...

Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know. ~ M. King Hubbert

The board has indeed been injected with more pseudo-science than usual...
    This injection having been administered by a person not claiming to have a scientific perspective on souls or endeavoring to provide "proof" to support their beliefs. I have answered your questions to the best of my capacity, given my ability to reason. If you don't understand my explanation, by all means, request clarification. Otherwise, if you have scientific information that contradicts what I've posted, please let me know so that I can adapt my beliefs accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonomaly View Post
    This injection having been administered by a person not claiming to have a scientific perspective on souls or endeavoring to provide "proof" to support their beliefs. I have answered your questions to the best of my capacity, given my ability to reason. If you don't understand my explanation, by all means, request clarification. Otherwise, if you have scientific information that contradicts what I've posted, please let me know so that I can adapt my beliefs accordingly.
    Promises promises.

Promises promises.
    Non sequiturs.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychonomaly View Post
    Non sequiturs.
    No, a turn of phrase.

Wikipedia gives some good examples of non sequiturs, especially the Fallacy of the undistributed middle:
    1. Men are human.
    2. Mary is human.
    3. Therefore, Mary is a man.

Please learn the meaning of things... if you demonstrate a basic understanding of logic, I might consider wasting a little time beating my head against the wall (i.e respond to your posts in a meaningful fashion)

No, a turn of phrase.

Please learn the meaning of things... if you demonstrate a basic understanding of logic, I might consider wasting a little time beating my head against the wall (i.e respond to your posts in a meaningful fashion)
    I would have said "diversion". A non sequitur is what I posted to mirror the relevancy of your response to my genuine effort to answer your questions about the soul. A basic understanding of logic is what you disregard when you expect empirical solutions to teleological problems.

I believe all living things have souls. I don't really differentiate between soul and mind, except soul is our whole and the mind is our physical "soul" when we're on the physical plane. Ultimately, they're the same to me.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast