Page 9 of 148 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast

Thread: What's for dinner?

For dinner (boring):Oven pork chops, pasta and salad. For dessert: Halloween M&Ms--my fave!
    "put the pick in there Pete and turn it round real neat"

Quote Originally Posted by Lunacie View Post
    I like to freeze my burger and chicken in freezer baggies. Then I can just plunk them in a sink full of hot water and they thaw out in about 30 minutes. I put a pound or so in a baggie, seal it up, and then press it flat so it freezes quick and thaws quick. Same with chicken breasts, just put a couple of nice size ones in the baggie and freeze 'em flat, not stacked.

I like pot pie, with a crust or without. Share your recipe?
    I have a vacuum sealer i use usually to divide up meats and freeze them and I do the same thing. The kids were really clamoring for dinner though so even that would have taken too long.

I'll post my potpie recipe in it's own thread or if there is a thread specifically for recipes... I have to go dig up the noodle recipe...you would think by now i'd know it by heart.

Round here the stuff in a crust is called chicken pie and it is a personal affront when outsiders refer to it as potpie.

ETA: I'm seriously considering baking a cake right now. I have to get the kids out of the tub first. And problem is I REALLY want cake NOW, but it will be hours or even tomorrow till i can eat it.
    Last edited by Ariste; October 1st, 2009 at 07:24 PM.

I like to freeze my burger and chicken in freezer baggies. Then I can just plunk them in a sink full of hot water and they thaw out in about 30 minutes. I put a pound or so in a baggie, seal it up, and then press it flat so it freezes quick and thaws quick. Same with chicken breasts, just put a couple of nice size ones in the baggie and freeze 'em flat, not stacked.

I like pot pie, with a crust or without. Share your recipe?
    I do the same, it's so much easier to portion things out and they thaw much faster. I buy meats in the family packs because it's cheaper so when I get home, I break them down, label and date them and toss them in the meat freezer. I almost don't have a choice... I mean really, what am I going to do with a whole 3 lb. pack of thawed ground beef at once?

Oh yeah, I had baked catfish, rice pilaf and steamed asparagus for dinner.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

Quote Originally Posted by Ariste View Post
    I have a vacuum sealer i use usually to divide up meats and freeze them and I do the same thing. The kids were really clamoring for dinner though so even that would have taken too long.

I'll post my potpie recipe in it's own thread or if there is a thread specifically for recipes... I have to go dig up the noodle recipe...you would think by now i'd know it by heart.

Round here the stuff in a crust is called chicken pie and it is a personal affront when outsiders refer to it as potpie.

ETA: I'm seriously considering baking a cake right now. I have to get the kids out of the tub first. And problem is I REALLY want cake NOW, but it will be hours or even tomorrow till i can eat it.
    We got a Tupperware dish back in January that makes a pretty good cake in the microwave. And we have a root beer cake mix that the kids have been wanting us to bake. I'm not in the mood tonight, and the rest of the family has gone to the carnival.

Gumbo, cornbread, and...I'm not sure what else. That's as far as I've gotten, and Preston won't be home for three hours.

---------------------------------
    Rye Wolf Farm
    Our homestead blog--come visit!

Quote Originally Posted by Ariste View Post

I've had the chicken pot pie in Lancaster, PA. It wasn't what I expected but it was really tasty. I'm looking forward to seeing your recipe, I would like to try it at home since I haven't been back to Lancaster in a few years.
    "Knowledge without mileage is bullsh*t"... Henry Rollins

"That moral high horse is a tough perch to stay on"... Me

"PETA doesn't want stressed animals to be cruelly crowded into sheds, ankle-deep in their own crap, because they don't want any animals to die-ever-and basically think chickens should, in time, gain the right to vote. I don't want animals stressed or crowded or treated cruelly or inhumanely because that makes them probably less delicious"...Anthony Bourdain

R.I.P. MiLo
    Run free and catch the rabbits
    4/7/96 - 11/30/10

We got a Tupperware dish back in January that makes a pretty good cake in the microwave. And we have a root beer cake mix that the kids have been wanting us to bake. I'm not in the mood tonight, and the rest of the family has gone to the carnival.
    I want a triple layer devil's food cake with peanut butter icing. It takes quite a bit of time and energy to make. I dunno I just can't bring myself to try and make cake in the microwave...call me a traditionalist lol

Well now i am too ****ing tired to bake a cake....there wouldn't be any harm in mixing up some icing and making the cake tomorrow right? and if I just happened to sample some of the icing that would be okay, right?

damned sweet tooth

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    I mean really, what am I going to do with a whole 3 lb. pack of thawed ground beef at once?

make taco dip in the crockpot

Quote Originally Posted by WitchJezebel View Post
    I do the same, it's so much easier to portion things out and they thaw much faster. I buy meats in the family packs because it's cheaper so when I get home, I break them down, label and date them and toss them in the meat freezer. I almost don't have a choice... I mean really, what am I going to do with a whole 3 lb. pack of thawed ground beef at once?

Oh yeah, I had baked catfish, rice pilaf and steamed asparagus for dinner.
    When there's a good sale on ground beef, I sometimes buy a value pack and freeze half in 1-pound packages and cook the rest so it's ready to toss into spagetti sauce or tacos or whatever. Just have to label the freezer bags clearly so I knew which was raw and which was cooked. But that was like a 10 pound chub. With just three pounds, it will keep for a couple of weeks in the fridge pre-cooked.

Page 9 of 148 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 59 109 ... LastLast