Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: How Has Your Tool Use Changed Over Time?

I used to have all the things: athame, boline, staff, broom, chalice, cauldron, pendulum, mortar and pestle, wand, bell, etc. All of the 'necessary tools'. Got quite pricey, I don't need to tell you.

Then as I got older, moved away from Wicca, stopped doing rituals (which make me feel weird), and started winging it, I lost the need to have all the trappings of the trade. I'll go all out and get weird tjings for a spell, but as far as 'tools' for just about anything else, I just use what's nearby. I have used a butter knife as an athame before.
    "It's like a dream to try to remember but it's gone
    Then you try to scream but it only comes out as a yawn
    When you try to see the world beyond your front door"

*Banner and sig by Geministar*
    AM currently accepting reading requests (because why not?)

Ghosted by Eternal Night!
    :irish: Shamrocked by Annorah!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hill View Post
    When I began to practice, I was often using spells that didn't have physical components. As I learned and evolved, I found that there were particular objects that could help focus the energy I wanted, and I slowly began to gather magical objects together. I began to enchant and consecrate my tools. Now that I've been seriously practicing for nearly eight years, I find I rarely use these objects any more. When I do, it tends to be my divination objects and the staff I use to cast circles (or other objects that help focus the group if I'm leading ritual). I've almost come full circle as far as my use of objects. Most of the foci for energy of various types, for me, are thought-objects. I've kept many of my objects because I never know when they will come in handy, but I don't often build rituals or spells around them or even use them to compliment such practices.

How has your use of tools changed over the years? Do you rely on them more or less than when you started to practice? Are there still ones you use all the time? How do you feel about people who insist on the use of physical objects? Or who sell them? Which leads to a further question: Do you think that some objects shouldn't be harvested for magical purposes because that harvesting harms the earth? How do you harvest objects from nature, if you ever feel the need?

So, in general, how do those of you who consider yourselves advanced use tools?
    Day to day I don't use tools, If I'm doing an LBRP I might just be cleansing a space without intending to do any operations or workings thereafter. However I always recommend one either you an athame or something like an ash wand for the pentagrams, creating that space between worlds. Same goes for a circle between worlds which is not the same as a caim (circular ward).
    you don't need these things however there is something to be said for using the right tool for the job, and if that tool is you alone that's perfectly fine. I'm much more critical of using the right and making sure one s where they need to be instead of just going through the motions than I am on whether one uses tools or not.

Not using tools teaches you how to rely more on yourself, all you got in any moment. that is important.
    However there is something to be said for using a tool that has been inscribed with the characters of the art, ensouled and consecrated.
    Forget the actual Athame for a second, try inscribing the characters for it from the Clavis of Solomon on your index and middle finger,
    have the middle finger arc so the tip of it touches the tip of the straight index finger.
    It makes a difference.

I don't need an athame or a wand to build a circle, however if I'm building the temple up in full I'm going to use my tools, because that is a time and place to do so,
    It is a more involved operation and i bring everything i've worked on, built up, refined and disciplined to come to bear.
    The tools are not just props, they are themselves like mudras.
    I hold them a certain way, use them a certain way, and are a focal point for manipulating and tying into flow.
    The Athame is double-edged, of the divine twins Lucifer and Vesper, and moves between the revealed and the hidden.
    it does other things to, point is that you tap into that, your mythos comes through in sustaining the work.
    It is a key, right if you say the same phrase before every ritual and only then, you will train yourself
    to enter a ritual mindset when you say that phrase. When I pick up an elemental tool, I enter a state where i am embodying that force.

You see a lot of this in lodge traditions such as the Golden Dawn where certain godforms and offices are marked with certain tools such as specific type of stave or a lantern.
    It helps you exalt a god-form or station or force. it isn't just a prob though, it is a tool, and not just a tool because if they are properly inscribed, ensouled and consecrated they become
    entities in their own right. I'm not sure how to explain it any further than that. All of that is already within, but it is like having stone with certain qualities you want to resonate with and bring out.
    As you interact with the 'tool' it interacts with you, aligns the subtle forces of your body. There's a resonance there and when you are in trance, in that liminal place there's a merging between you and the blade, or the cup or whatever it is.

I am a ceremonialist however i do not need twenty tools to do an operation. Which isn't uncommon, few do use that many tools in their solitary praxis.
    I actually keep it down to the standard four unless what I'm doing specifically calls for something specific. Don't get me wrong i do have a few different wants but prefer the Ash, sometimes
    I'll bring out the Sycamore.... but usually i only use one wand a ritual when working with wands. The four tools aren't counting my robe, altar, bowls, candles etc.

Now, to be fair there's also the white handled knife and a special red handled knife in my tradition. Generally though for ritual all you need is the black one (athame).
    the white one is used for physical cutting and the red one is a blood athame, called a shelg. i also have different peytons depending on if I'm working outer plane or inner plane, and a third peyton/altar pantacle to bind them, however there's only one ritual that calls for all three.

If I am going a compass or caim or trying to get a feel for the space i prefer to use my Ash wand to an Athame. it all depends on the feel I am going for,

Quote Originally Posted by October View Post
    I used to have all the things: athame, boline, staff, broom, chalice, cauldron, pendulum, mortar and pestle, wand, bell, etc. All of the 'necessary tools'. Got quite pricey, I don't need to tell you.

Then as I got older, moved away from Wicca, stopped doing rituals (which make me feel weird), and started winging it, I lost the need to have all the trappings of the trade. I'll go all out and get weird tjings for a spell, but as far as 'tools' for just about anything else, I just use what's nearby. I have used a butter knife as an athame before.
    See I'm a stickler on that, I'd never consider that an Athame... a ceremonial blade maybe but the Athame is a very specific tool. it might work but... nope, sorry can't do it...

I will say this though. I understand the purpose for different wants and such but still don't know why we need a certain kind of fork for salad.
    Last edited by Humming Bird; October 6th, 2015 at 12:51 AM.
    Tsalagi Nvwoti Didahnvwesgi Ale Didahnesesgi
    (Cherokee medicine practitioner of left and right hand paths)
    anikutani.stfu-kthx.net - The Anikutani Tradition

I threw all my tools out. Bit of a waste really, someone else could've used them. I had a metal wand with an amethyst set in it, a crystal ball, a knife, and a ton of candles and incense. I also sold all my books away. Some of them are hard to find again.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4