Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: How Has Your Tool Use Changed Over Time?

Quote Originally Posted by Royzen View Post
    Hello Kagekarasu,
    Actually I found this thread quite interesting cause from what I've read from the posts above, I've noticed that as Wiccans (or atleast I assume they are, since this is a Wiccan forum) they too are flexibe as to the usage or non usage of tools. I mean I'm actually glad to hear that tools aren't priority for every magickal working!
    I'm actually in no way Wiccan, though you're right, most people here and in the pagan community in general in some way are. Part of why I stay on this board is to give a nice, non-Wiccan view point.

The aspect of tools like said before is channeling your energy. Some will say that you need certain things, but I think those people are focusing to much on the ceremonial side of things and not the actual objective. They're giving the tools the power, and not realizing they're the power and tools are just tools, which is where it starts to get fluffy. I personally don't use tools, but I can understand the help they can provide.

is offline Shadow walker and feeder of felines
    Tools we are supposed to use tools - darn I knew I was missing out!!

I have more colors of candles, and rocks, and an excuse to buy a cool looking knife but I could have used the fact is was on sale also . . .maybe my use has changed - learned to put coaster things under my burning candles because I got tired of having to scrape wax off the carpet or my desk.

When i first started out I used to keep all my tools in a box, one for my car, cause well a witch had to travel... lol.. and another for my home, with everything at the ready. Reference books close by, etc... sighs.. my how things have changed for me.

What i found out after 22 yrs of practicing is that tools, are just that... tools... to help me focus, to help me create visually, etc...Now my cauldron is the pot i use to cook with on the stove, or the tea pot, or heck even my washing machine. I use what's at hand and if there's nothing tangible, then i visualize and go from there... i really believe that everything you need will be provided and you carry it with you 24/7... yourself
    So very thankful for all that I have and even MORE thankful for all that i don't.

Same as everything else in life, they have changed accordingly.

When I first started out 30 plus years ago I mainly used candles and maybe some herbs from my moms cupboard, as time went on, I started collecting the tools that I was "told" I should have. Some I bought mainly at flee-markets or garage sales and others I made, even today my boyfriend loves to seek things out I may want - he found a wonderful large cauldron for like 2 dollars, but honestly I don't use many tools on my own. Now when I teach I pull them out and I do explain, how and why they are used and that they are a focusing point for the most part.

Kali

I think there is something intrinsic or experiential about us that makes us gravitate towards certain types of tools and not others. I don't have a wand and don't think I ever will. My well worn companion of a pocket knife does anything a wand can do and better.

It I need an air tool, it will be some arrows or a spear with feathers on it, not a dull ended wand.
    Last edited by hunter*; October 30th, 2011 at 09:40 PM.

Personally, I like performing ritual, and ritual performance is better with good props. Certainly a lot of my practical magic is done 'in my head', calling on assets that I have developed over time. But when I do worship, whether seasonal rites or monthly rites, I like to do full ritual. So I keep a consecrated set of my system's tools on my home shrine, ready to use.

I think of the tools as talismans. The Dagger is a specific magical device to connect with elemental Fire, the Cup to Water, etc. I'm not dealing with 'archetypes' but with specific objects that gather connection with spiritual things both by intention and by repeated use.

All in all my tool-use hasn't changed that much over 30 years. I switched systems, and so have had to make new tools but my attitude toward them remains the same. I see my home shrine as my own temple, and the tools on it as the sacred things of my own temple.

I have items I use like a mortar and pestle, incense burner, bell but I don't think of them as tools. I don't use them all the time or very often. I think of herbs, candles and moon phases as enhancers but not necessary. I have two of what I would call tools, my athame and one wand. The wand I have is part of a spinning wheel I have to represent Frau Holda. I only use it when working with/for her. My athame I went through the process of naming. I consider it a partner in my magic not so much a tool, but it is one none the less. I can do spells without it but prefer to use it. I also sleep with it to help remember dreams. It's the one thing I would hate to give up or loose.

I don't use them very often. Candles, cauldron for burning things like paper or herbs (incense). I use to have a wand and athame and disk, etc etc but now it's just whatever I have on hand to illicit the energy I am looking for. I am considering an athame again simply because I remember liking it. We shall see.
    Maggie in the Mead {blog}

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful - a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.
    "
    -John Keats (La Belle Dame sans Merci)

As a young child, I learned a lot about tools and altar prep from my mother. I am the rare breed of Pagan who was actually born into it, and while my mother's mother was Greek Orthodox, she practiced a lot of old folk magick that she learned from her family in Greece, so I grew up with a variety of spiritual and magickal influences. Mom had her way of doing things, with lots of incense, candles, pentacles, her athame, and tons of other stuff (she was the very model of a Scott Cunningham-influenced solitary practitioner), and when I was little, I loved learning what each tool was for and what it represented. But, she always encouraged me to trust my own instincts and learn what worked for me. As I got older, I found that the tools that I felt most comfortable using were "focus objects," a burning candle, or some sort of physical representation of the deity I was working with, be it a statuette, a picture, or some sort of natural object that represents the deity. I am a very visual and tactile kind of person, and I like having something I can see and touch to help me feel closer to the Divine. Today, I don't do a lot of spell work, but I do spend a lot of time in communion and meditation. The tools I use are mostly for the purpose of creating a peaceful, serene atmosphere, with candles, an image of the deity/deities, and sometimes a little incense.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast