Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Manga

Manga

Is anyone here into Manga and all that Japanese stuff?

I just got into it today for the first time. At Borders I purchased a copy of Domo: the Manga and I am enjoying every bit of it. I also bought a box of Tokidoki mints that has a mirror inside. This stuff is awesome!

So how does it work? Does a person find their niche in the Manga scene? Like, does one have a favorite book or show or uh whatever?

Please help me understand more.

You might want to try the books forum or whtever it's called on here, as for finding your niche, just look for stuff with subject matter that interests you, I'm not into manga and only really have a mild interest in anime so I'm afraid I can't be of much help, but the one manga I can highly recommend is Akira (the movie is great as well).
    "The word "natural" is completely meaningless! Everything is natural! Nature includes everything! It's not just trees and flowers! It's everything! A chemical company's toxic waste is completely natural! It's part of the nature! We're all part of nature! Everything is natural! Dog shit is natural! It's just not real good food!" George Carlin

http://www.last.fm/user/kidthorazine/

Drop acid, not bombs.

Add me on facebook! (please mention that you are from MW and include username)

Quote Originally Posted by androgino View Post
    I also bought a box of Tokidoki mints that has a mirror inside. This stuff is awesome!

So how does it work? Does a person find their niche in the Manga scene? Like, does one have a favorite book or show or uh whatever?

Please help me understand more.
    Tokidoki mints!? I should find a way to get those.

It doesn't exactly "work." You hear about, see, or otherwise get exposed to various types of manga and anime, and you go after whichever ones you think you may be interested in.

Personally, my favorite in manga is Hellsing. :D
    02-07-1943
    05-19-2009
    Papi - R.I.P.
    I love you. Always.

Toki, I actually thought about your username when I got those. Hehe. =)

I'm starting to understand Manga now and that Tokidoki is not the same thing, lol.

I'm such a noob at this.

Heh....

I'm in ur bookstore
    Figuring out ur manga.

=p

Your not the only one :3

Basically the scene is compromised of demographics. Female manga is called Shoujo, male manga is called Shounen. It doesn't mean that only girls should read Shoujo and only guys should read Shounen but it's mainly the target audience. Shoujo mainly focuses on Romance genre and Shounen action and adventure with long fights and such. Seinen is for males over 18 and the female over 18 is Josei.

Then we have, in Shounen the top three teir. This teir at the moment compromises of Naruto (Ninja), Bleach (Death Gods) and Once Piece (Pirates). Each series has over 400 chapters and over 20 volumes. However these series are known for their bad anime (animation of manga) counterparts and are known to be 'trolled' by their own author. Still they're decent series and contain alot of blood in parts. One Piece is the most popular in Japan and the best selling in the world at the moment. There's not teir's in Shoujo.

Then after these there's series lik D.Grey-man, Hitman Reborn and Hunter x Hunter.

That's basically the 'scene'. However, if you like a series just read it. It doesn't have to be popular and anyway there's alot of underated series out there as well as many series that arn't translated into English (when that happens, Japanese groups scan them for the westerners.).

^_^
    Last edited by Siwan; September 7th, 2009 at 08:47 AM.

I read all my favorite mangas online for free.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Toki, I actually thought about your username when I got those. Hehe. =)

I'm starting to understand Manga now and that Tokidoki is not the same thing, lol.

I'm such a noob at this.
    Haha. Glad I'm stalking you through minty goodness. Btw, there is a character called Tokidoki in the anime Amatsuki. I've been wanting to watch it simply for him...Coincidentally, he also looks like Soubi from Loveless.

I keep forgetting the name of this one I wanted to get into, with a butler named Sebastian, who seems badass...darn it. I'm sure someone here or elsewhere knows!

Oh, and I've found LiveJournal icons and buddies to be great sources of what's going on in the animanga world, or just what they're into. If you're not on there, not sure where you could go to get a better idea into the "scene" and/or get immersed in it, but that's usually how I do it. Currently, a couple of my friends are all OMFG FULL METAL ALCHEMIST!!11
    02-07-1943
    05-19-2009
    Papi - R.I.P.
    I love you. Always.

Sebastian is from Kuroshitsuji. Personally I rather Grell (red hed)

And the guy from Amatsuki is Bonten right?
    y ddraig goch ddyry gychwyn*

Today I purchased part one of Uzumaki by Junji Ito. I am loving it! Someday I'll get parts two and three when I have more money.

Thanks everyone for the replies. =)

Today I purchased part one of Uzumaki by Junji Ito. I am loving it! Someday I'll get parts two and three when I have more money.

Thanks everyone for the replies. =)

You can read the whole Uzumaki series at onemanga.com for free. I like the series but didn't like the movie.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast